Is the 200 post limit still in effect?

Wicht

Hero
Is 200 posts still a maximum for a thread or has that been dropped?

I ask because there are currently two threads I am involved with and one other I am not that I just noticed exceeded 200 and I did not want to be breaking any rules or anything :D ;)

The one thread will likely be over soon anyhow but I can start another for the second and someone ought to tell the people involved in the death match if indeed 200 is a limit.

graydoom

First Post
Heh. Personally, I don't think the limit of 200 posts/thread is needed. Other forums using vBulletin have been fine with threads up to 20,000 posts :D.

XCorvis

First Post
I think you misunderstood the 200 poster limit, where only 200 people could be using the boards at one time.

I don't know if that's still in effect, although I would assume it is not because I have seen no indications of it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No, the 200 post max is still in effect; we had trouble with an IR thread that exceeded that, although that trouble might have been related to the board slowdowns that we were experiencing.

Post the urls here, and a moderator will take care of them!

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
Bah. It's been shown the vBulletin software can handle long threads. There won't be problems with long threads unless the whole board is having problems, because the problems will stem from the server, not the software.

Haven't seen any problems yet with the Game Of Death thread, either, and it's been at over 200 posts for almost five days now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The 200 post limit stays.

Your logic is definitely odd here. It's quite pointless indicating forums with longer threads than that. I'm sure I can point out forums which have no problems with slowdown at lunchtime during the week - but that doesn't mean that we're not suffering from such problems.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yah, the fact that vBulletin runs like that in one place does not imply that it will run that well in others. Remember how configurable it's supposed to be? Well, given that they are probably running on different hardware, under a different OS,with different user habits, and with a different configuration of vBulletin, I'd say that all bets are probably off.

Psionicist

Explorer
Are you kidding me? I have seen servers so poorly configured and slow (incredlible slow) I asked myself what I was doing there, WITH threads 1000+ posts long. There are no logic whatsoever in this max 200 number, technically speaking. 65535 (16 bit integer) however would probably cause problems, but I don't think we will see threads 65535 posts long here :)

And yes, it's a known problem in UBB, NOT VB. In fact, this is probably the one and only board I know with this rule.

And it doesn't matter how the server is configured, what hardware you use and so on. IF you can actually run vBulletin, you can post threads over 200 replies long, in the exact same fashion you can post threads over 20 or 100 posts long.

Bandwidth - or more precisely, the lack of bandwidth - is a completely different problem here.

This is just facts. You would get the same reply if you asked any person who have the knowledge to create a message board (which I can, heh), or a vBulletin admin (which I also am, heh)

- Tech Spikey.. I mean Tech Psi :)

Jarval

Explorer
The 200 post limit is probably a good idea, but could you put some sort of warning about it at the top of forums with threads that regularly pass this mark (thinking In Character and Story Hour here)?

Remove ads