Is the 200 post limit still in effect?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Psionicist said:
Are you kidding me?
(...snip...)

And it doesn't matter how the server is configured, what hardware you use and so on. IF you can actually run vBulletin, you can post threads over 200 replies long, in the exact same fashion you can post threads over 20 or 100 posts long.

Um, I'm sorry Psionicist, but you don't need me to kid you. I think you're kidding yourself in your enthusiasm for this software. In effect, you say that if it runs at all, it will run perfectly for any length chain of posts for any and all combinations and configurations of hardware and software. This is simply ludicrous, and ignores the complexity of these machines and their programming.

If nothing else, in both a practical and a theoretical sense, modern software packages are beyond the point where they can be claimed to be bug-free. How many such packages are required to make this thing work? Heck, isn't it a Windows machine? Are you really going to claim that a Windows server can't be flakey under odd circumstances? If you wanna make that claim, you need to go work for MS, as their marketing people could use you... :)

You may feel that the chance of a configuration problem is low. I have no problem with that. However, categorical denial of the possibility is not a defensible position.

I'm guilty, and a question

Hi all! :)

I am guilty of letting my thread in the House Rules forum extend beyond 200 posts (only happened last night though). I'll start a new thread (imminently) and set up a link in the old one.

Question.

Incidently, if I want to test out the poll option should I/can I do so here in the Meta Forums - never used one before and I don't want to clog up the regular forums incase I make a mess of things!?

Psionicist

Explorer
Umbran said:
Um, I'm sorry Psionicist, but you don't need me to kid you. I think you're kidding yourself in your enthusiasm for this software. In effect, you say that if it runs at all, it will run perfectly for any length chain of posts for any and all combinations and configurations of hardware and software. This is simply ludicrous, and ignores the complexity of these machines and their programming.

If nothing else, in both a practical and a theoretical sense, modern software packages are beyond the point where they can be claimed to be bug-free. How many such packages are required to make this thing work? Heck, isn't it a Windows machine? Are you really going to claim that a Windows server can't be flakey under odd circumstances? If you wanna make that claim, you need to go work for MS, as their marketing people could use you... :)

You may feel that the chance of a configuration problem is low. I have no problem with that. However, categorical denial of the possibility is not a defensible position.

Okay, so you are one of THEM. That is noted. Why do you blame windows? I will tell you. Because you cannot configure a computer correctly, software or hardware wise. For 7 months I haven't had a SINGLE BSoD related to Windows. I have an uptime of 3 weeks and 5 days - and counting. Do you know why? Because I can configure a computer correctly, thank you very much.

Do you even know how vBulletin works? I do. I have worked with the software. Have you any knowledge of databases and MySQL at all?

I am just telling the truth. This so called "problem" with 200+ threads are not a problem. SOMETHING ELSE caused the problem. Period. End of discussion.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: I'm guilty, and a question

Upper_Krust said:
Hi all! :)

I am guilty of letting my thread in the House Rules forum extend beyond 200 posts (only happened last night though). I'll start a new thread (imminently) and set up a link in the old one.
Thanks! And I'll close the old thread now. :)

Question.

Incidently, if I want to test out the poll option should I/can I do so here in the Meta Forums - never used one before and I don't want to clog up the regular forums incase I make a mess of things!?
Go ahead - sig test happen here as well, so why not poll tests? :cool:

Re: Re: I'm guilty, and a question

Hi Darkness mate! :)

Darkness said:
Thanks! And I'll close the old thread now.

Cheers mate! :)

Probably for the best, although it seemed everyone was abiding by my 'verbal' decision to end the thread.

Darkness said:
Go ahead - sig test happen here as well, so why not poll tests? :cool:

Thanks! In the interim I have read about polls in the FAQ so I am confident enough of getting it right...but I suppose it wouldn't hurt any to have a test run! ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Psionicist:

Putting aside your ad hominem approach for the moment...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't under the impression that you personally did the configurations for this server. If you did, fine, then I'll accept that you are right. However, if you didn't, then the fact that you can get it to run as you say is irrelevant. The fact that it can be done perfectly doesn't prove it was done perfectly.

I don't doub that vBulletin can run perfectly. I don't doubt that you can get it to do so. Your contention is that the only way for it to run is perfectly, and that I serously doubt. You have given no actual evidence to dispel that doubt.

Now, about your approach...

You opened your post by naming me one of an unspecified "Them" for an unspecified reason. That is clearly ad hominem - attacking the person rather than the actual points. Similarly for telling me what I do or don't know how to do before you actually ask. A naive reader may fall for this tactic, but in actuality you give no supportive facts to your claims in doing so. Rather than actually discuss the topic, you dismiss and belittle. In general, it's a shabby way to treat another board member.

Compare this to my roommate who makes top dollar designing complicated web sites and applications. Before I posted, he treated me like an intelligent, rational human being, and gave me an hour and a half tutorial on how Windows servers and vBulletin operate and a number of ways things could go wrong.

I have two conflicting opinions - one from someone who was rude, and grandstanding, another from someone who actually discussed the matter and gave support other than an authoritative, "I say so". Sorry, Psionicist, but you lose.

I don't know what caused the observed problems, but I do know that you have completely failed to convince me that configuration could not be the culprit. You will continue to fail to convince me so long as you continue using your current methods of "discussion". I have nothing further to say on the matter.

Remove ads