• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the 5e Monster Manual the best MM ever?

Is the 5e Monster Manual the best MM ever?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Being Aussie, I wasn't able to pick up my MM until today. And then someone had to go and interrupt any opportunity of me perusing it by running a game. So it was only just in the last fifteen minutes that I've been able to look through it and that is enough to convince me that it's my most favouritest Monster Manual everest in the history of ever.

So, is this the best Monster Manual ever?

Aussie! aussie! aussie! Oi! oi! oi!

I think it is the best DnD monster manual book I've seen. Albeit I have only seen 2e, 3e, 4e and 5e books. I am actually enjoying reading through all the monster lore just as much as PHB, but for different reasons. Its damn cool and it's giving me all sorts of "man I want to use this monster!" DM vibes.

Last edited:

rollcrit

First Post
Aussie! aussie! aussie! Oi! oi! oi!

I think it is the best DnD monster manual book I've seen. Albeit I have only seen 2e, 3e, 4e and 5e books. I am actually enjoying reading through all the monster lore just as much as PHB, but for different reasons. Its damn cool and it's giving me all sorts of "man I want to use this monster!" DM vibes.

This is exactly how I feel. Did anyone read the Ghost entry yet? I cant wait to "possess" one of my players with a ghost and see their reaction when they have to start hitting each other. Going to be classic

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I was tired and just came back from a night of gaming so wasn't thinking clearly. I had meant to imply that only D&D Monster Manuals from WotC/TSR counted for this poll, not all monster books from every system ever.

Crothian

First Post
I was tired and just came back from a night of gaming so wasn't thinking clearly. I had meant to imply that only D&D Monster Manuals from WotC/TSR counted for this poll, not all monster books from every system ever.

Well, sure when you limit the competition so greatly the 5e one looks better. But really it should aspire to be the best ever and not just the best of a very small selection by one company.

The Pathfinder beastiary series blows the 5e MM out of the water.

I have to ask as well, what about the Pathfinder books blows them out of the water? They seem very similar to the 3.5 ones to me, which were a bit lacking in flavor. The thing that sticks out to me most about them though is the amount of needless titillation. Seriously, did a trumpet archon really need to be wearing the equivalent of tape over the nipples?

sgtscott658

First Post

Oh I like that lol

I have the 5E MM and it is a very good book on the 5E monsters. The art is fantastic too.

Remove ads