• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the Healer Feat Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
There have been a few threads about encounter guidelines not working and as a DM I have been wanting to play a featless game of 5E. I always get out voted by my players though and if I try and force the issue I might not have any players full stop.

Anyway the feats Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter often get used as examples of broken feats in 5E but one feat strikes me as perhaps a little bit to good. That feat is the healer feat. Early on in 5E when I DMed the PCs did not use it. I was the 1st player to pick it as a light cleric as I liked at it and realized.

1d6+4+level is a better healing rate than a cure wounds spell. Better yet it is per person per short rest. In a 5 man party with the assumed 2 short rests it is an extra 15 cure spells. By level 10 it is not as good but it is still 1d6+14 points of healing per person per short rest. In effect it is almost a mass cure spell as a short rest instead of long rest ability.

It got even better with the thief subclass of the rogue with the quick hands ability. Due to the fact you use a healing kit you can now use it as a bonus action. This rapidly turned into an unlimited healing word effect as restoring 1 hp was functionally as good as 1d4+wisdom modifier. Odds are you would still be going down in one hit so no you have unlimited short range healing words + a very silly amount of short rest healing.

Suffice to say since then we have never left home without it. I get to play on occasion and sure enough one of my PCs is a Diviner and he has the healer feat. Rather than sit back and snipe with firebolt at low levels (1-4) and generally be useless I am often up on the front lines using the aid another action (granting advantage>firebolt when GWM Barbarian is in the mix) and using the healer feat as a medic. Even if you get hit you just heal yourself. In a different group where the DM gave everyone an extra feat no one took it or even a cleric leaving a Paladin as the sole source of healing. We do not always have a GWM or sharpshooter PC in the party, we always pick the healer feat it seems.

Shiroiken

Legend
Despite the fact that my group agrees it's one of the best feats, no one has yet to take it. Part of this is the fact that it's a "group" benefit (like Inspiring Leader), and they don't want to spend "their" feat for the party. Part of it is that it has to compete with ASI and other really good feats. A small part is probably the number of Short Rests we tend to take per day (between 0 and 1).

Giant2005

First Post
I'm not really seeing the greatness.
Sure it provides slightly more mitigation than Inspiring Leader, but Inspiring Leader has the benefit of being used proactively rather than reactively and that benefit can be the difference between surviving a hard encounter and not surviving a hard encounter. Also you don't need to both with buying and lugging around dozens of healer's kits.

Kreinas

First Post
Despite the fact that my group agrees it's one of the best feats, no one has yet to take it. Part of this is the fact that it's a "group" benefit (like Inspiring Leader), and they don't want to spend "their" feat for the party. Part of it is that it has to compete with ASI and other really good feats. A small part is probably the number of Short Rests we tend to take per day (between 0 and 1).

I'm not really seeing the greatness.
Sure it provides slightly more mitigation than Inspiring Leader, but Inspiring Leader has the benefit of being used proactively rather than reactively and that benefit can be the difference between surviving a hard encounter and not surviving a hard encounter. Also you don't need to both with buying and lugging around dozens of healer's kits.

I would recommend both of you post your replies to the duplicate thread located here: Is the Healer Feat Broken?

Zardnaar, please request to have this duplicate thread deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads