Is the Internet a hive of scum and villainy?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No one made any threats. I pointed out that if you were in a game store and said something very rude, you might get asked to step outside. Without that physical threat, rude little people get to act like scum on the internet without ever getting held accountable.

Don't worry little fellow, no one can hurt you on the internet, keep being obnoxious all you want.

So, let's see... the guy talking about rudeness and consequences on the internet starts getting personal and a bit snarky. And a moderator sees it...

Is the irony of this invisible to anyone but me?

How about this - we all remember that on EN World, we expect folks to show each other a modicum of respect. And failure to do so does can have consequences. Some may call them small, but they're there.

So, let's all play like nice, mature adults, and not stoop to the schoolyard posturing and needling hm? Thanks, all!

STIGMATADOR

Banned
Banned
Is it that the Internet makes people immune from physical retribution, or that the Internet blinds people to the emotional reaction?

It is because the internet keeps people from getting their noses bloodied.
Reminds me of a quote...

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
― Robert E. Howard.
Just replace "civilized men" with "online posters" and there you have it.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Give a man a mask and you see the real man.

Basically people suck.

People do suck but it's got nothing to do with a mask. Did you get bullied in school or at least see someone get bullied? Did the bullies wear masks? Your username has 'dad' in it so I'm gonna assume you have kids. You're probably aware, then, that the new thing to do for teens is to grief their enemies on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. They could (and sometimes do) do this anonymously but very, very often they don't. The theory about anonymity and bad behavior isn't as solid as many like to present. I mean, how many people get into bar fights? What about road rage? There's just so much evidence that points to the fact that sucky people will be sucky no matter what.

DungeonsNDads

First Post
People do suck but it's got nothing to do with a mask. Did you get bullied in school or at least see someone get bullied? Did the bullies wear masks? Your username has 'dad' in it so I'm gonna assume you have kids. You're probably aware, then, that the new thing to do for teens is to grief their enemies on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. They could (and sometimes do) do this anonymously but very, very often they don't. The theory about anonymity and bad behavior isn't as solid as many like to present. I mean, how many people get into bar fights? What about road rage? There's just so much evidence that points to the fact that sucky people will be sucky no matter what.

Can't say I was ever bullied, people used to try but that's just kids, I grew a thick skin and bloody knuckles growing up :)

I agree that people will suck if they just inherently suck, and an a-hole on the street will equally be an a-hole on the internet, he doesn't need a mask nor anonymity. However, you take the trolls, griefers, anonymous bullies and faceless scum on the internet that have a mask and then put them face to face with that same person they were harassing... I guarantee that that vast majority of them won't be quite so quick to be a jerk. If you're a nice guy in real life.. that generally translates over into how you are with people in general and when you get on the internet you're equally a nice person. If you have that mean streak in you in real life but society and conformity make you push it to one side, or the general acceptance that if you did whatever you wanted to do and screw the consequences then the consequences might get you your ass kicked.. so people generally stfu and keep their heads down.

So yeh, people can suck without a mask, and hell at least we're seeing what those people are like, but for most people you don't see the real them until there are no consequences to their actions.

Remove ads