• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a d20 armor damage system?

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Anyone know where I can find a d20 mechanic for armor damage? Specifically I'm looking for a system to simulate the abuse shields take in combat. I always thought the idea of a splintering shield was dramatic, but shields in D&D don't do that during normal use.

Silveras

First Post
Rosenet said:
Anyone know where I can find a d20 mechanic for armor damage? Specifically I'm looking for a system to simulate the abuse shields take in combat. I always thought the idea of a splintering shield was dramatic, but shields in D&D don't do that during normal use.

Armor, Shields, Weapons, and other objects all have hit points. The Sunder combat action is used to damage an opponent's weapon or shield in combat. This is in the core rules, in the Players Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide.

If all you're looking for is the cinematic "your blow chops through his shield sending splinters flying from the now-useless frame" .. then encourage your players to think about the other maneuvers in combat -- disarm, sunder, trip, and so on. If combat is just an exchange of attacks until one side or the other runs out of hit points, then the players need to look at what their options are and use them; and the DM needs to present situations where those options are needed.

If, on the other hand, you are seeking some kind of "your shield is partially damaged and so grants you 1 less factor of AC" system, then I don't know of one. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads