• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are "essential" TTRPG mechanisms?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It’s worth noting the distinction between rules and mechanics. Mechanics are a subset of rules. “Roll 1d20 + mods vs TN” is a mechanic. “This game has a referee and they’re in charge of interpreting the rules and mechanics” is a rule. “This is a fantasy game” is a rule. “Each player takes a turn” is a rule.
I’d suggest the GM is most often used by the game as a game mechanic (at least in d&d style games).

AI generated answer -
Game mechanics are the interactive elements of a game that modify the game state, governed by rules and producing consequences

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That's not a mechanic.
Okay, but it’s the foundation on which all rpg mechanics are based. If you’re not talking about playing a game where you primarily control your fictional character in some fictional world then whatever you are talking about isn’t an rpg.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Okay, but it’s the foundation on which all rpg mechanics are based. If you’re not talking about playing a game where you primarily control your fictional character in some fictional world then whatever you are talking about isn’t an rpg.
Right, but the question presupposes that we are talking about RPGs, so it seems redundant and distracting to bother talking about the things that make an RPG an RPG. Otherwise you might as well say that the most important mechanism in a role-playing game is that there is role-playing going on.

Great, now that we've cleared up that pressing mystery, can we address the subject?

I understand that there are many different TTRPGs, many different style of playstyles etc. But in your opinion, what are "essential" (whatever that means for you) mechanisms that your games (usually) have to have?

For me:
  • Perception check
  • Ability checks
  • Skill checks
  • Combat mechanisms (Hand-to-hand, ranged, magic, spaceship, etc.)
  • Health system (insanity, critical hits, armor etc.)
  • Equipment/tools (lock picking tools, magical ingredients, fuel for spaceship etc.) and economy simulator
  • Powers/abilities/spells (D&D 4e style daily, encounter and at-will powers, for example normal spells), a bare bones game where the fighter can swing his sword and that's it is boring for me.
I'd agree with that list. I might add Passion/Personality/Goal trait system for those who want to have mechanisms in case a character has goals that might be affected by adventure circumstances. (See Pendragon for an example).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think players characters are essential and a world for them to exist in. Single player RPGs push back on the notion of needing someone to arbitrate on the mechanics I think. (Though I’ve not played one myself so could be wrong).
Player(s) is fundamental, but you dont need to start with a world - that can be created through the interaction of the players. That “interaction of player(s))” and how it is limited is the mechanics of the game

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads