• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is there a market or any interest in something like this

Joe Congleton

First Post
About half of the things I support on Patreon are mapmakers. I would support more, particularly those that enable "creative commons for commercial use" after reaching certain support levels that resemble freelance pay.

Could you give me a link? I would love to see some others peoples work.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't necessarily care about making money. I mean it does take a little time. But I'm not out to turn into a traded corporation or anything.

As far as price I'm not sure. Depends on the size of the what you want. So for an overland campaign map of 24x36 maybe bundle that with another 24x36 city or the campaign map and 2 dungeons(again size is an issue) for 20 dollars plus shipping and handling?

That's a very good price. I think you'll get a lot of interest at that price, as long as you prove reliable and easy to commission.

Joe Congleton

First Post
Patreon's definitely the way to go, if you want to have some steady income. And that could then be a launchpad to commissioned works.

Post a sample here so people can get an idea of what you're talking about.

I will. I'm in Florida right now doing some work on the road. But I plan on doing a dungeon this weekend/early next week. So soon.

Joe Congleton

First Post
So I guess it's not so much about having a custom map, but I know a lot of DM friends that aren't necessarily as artistic as myself. They can struggle to provide visual aids like a map to their players. Especially those that run their own homebrew campaigns, yet want them to feel as authentic as say a FR or Dragonlance campaign. This would be something they could use, and then focus more on storytelling and developing their adventures.

Also its worth note that I do mixed medium art of inks and watercolor. I then can render the art digitally also for those that like to play via Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds ect.

Joe Congleton

First Post
That's a very good price. I think you'll get a lot of interest at that price, as long as you prove reliable and easy to commission.

Morrus what you consider a reasonable turn around, if you commissioned something? From the time your ordered to the time I shipped. I ask this because I worry about getting overwhelmed. I certainly dont want to over promise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So I guess it's not so much about having a custom map

Ah. I guess I got the wrong end of the stick when you asked:

Is there a niche for people who would want custom maps...?

If you could clarify what you're considering, I can maybe offer some insight. Ignore all my responses thus far; they're not relevant. :)

Joe Congleton

First Post
Ah. I guess I got the wrong end of the stick when you asked:

If you could clarify what you're considering, I can maybe offer some insight. Ignore all my responses thus far; they're not relevant. :)

No sorry for the confusion. It would be a custom map. It was just to say that they did not merely serve the purpose of a token custom piece of art merely to be framed or set in the den. It actually serves as a game tool.

Is it custom? Absolutely.

I hope this answers your question

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No sorry for the confusion. It would be a custom map. It was just to say that they did not merely serve the purpose of a token custom piece of art merely to be framed or set in the den. It actually serves as a game tool.

Is it custom? Absolutely.

I hope this answers your question

In that case, yep, I definitely think there's a market for it.

(There's a market for non-custom maps too, of course).

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm a bit confused reading through this thread on what feedback would be most helpful for you. Since you seem to be fishing around for a good business model to take advantage of your artistic skills, maybe the following would be helpful from the perspective of a frequent consumer of game maps and location art.

My background:

• I DM full-game sessions once per month.
  • I use a home-brew world in my campaign.
  • I've published a few small adventures and drop-in locations, but am much more a consumer than creator.
  • I buy far more gaming stuff than I'll ever use. Part of the hobby is creating. I also like to have stuff I like ready to use rather than searching for content at the last minute.
  • I've spent a lot of time and money on map software (Campaign Cartographer and its various add-ons, Hexographer, Dungeonographer, Cityographer, plus some niche software from Kickstarter). But due to limited time, I've been spending more money on pre-made maps than creating my own. I'm not going to go into my software spend here, since that wouldn't be helpful for your pricing.

My game map/art consumption:

World Map: USD 500
I commissioned a high-quality map for my campaign with an artist I contacted through the Cartographer's Guild. The high-cost is that this was a bespoke creation based on detailed specs given, some crude mockups I made, a consultative skype call, and several rounds of revisions. I printed it out with a plotter printer and have a poster sized version hanging in the game room, which I can use in game.

I also have high-res visual versions that I can display on a plasma TV display that I use with Realm Worlds. Also, because the image is high res, I can cut it up and create nice looking regional maps from it.

Patreon: About USD 10/month on map-specific content. USD 30 if I include En5ider, which has some map content.

Forge Studeos: Estimated averate of USD 4.50 per month ($1.50 per map/illustration, 2-4 maps per month with bonus game-materials when they hit milestones)
https://www.patreon.com/user/posts?u=2863325

Each map has a grided version, a non-grided version, and an illustration. It is a great deal for and I highly recommend it.

Jared Blando: USD 5 per month

Professional, beautiful, evocative battlemaps by the same guy who made many of the maps in WoTC's publications. For USD 5/month, I get a full-resolution 30 x 24" full color Encounter map the first of every month. Each Zip file contains two versions of the map, both an ungridded a 1" grid version.. Each map is a 300 dpi HQ Jpeg for use in VTT, or for print.

En5ider: USD 20/month. USD 5 per supplement or adventure up to 4 times per month.

Most of what they print are not maps, but they do print material with maps. So, not sure how useful this is for you to look at. I don't *think* I'm missing anything. I think they will go up to six items per month if they hit their next goal. I've been very happy with En5ider, if they go to more than 4 items a month, I would need to revisit what my options are for selecting items to support. Their is a lot of variety and it varies from I LOVE IT to meh. If I had the option to avoid crunch articles, like character class varients, I probably would. I prefer the adventures, drop-in locations, campaign settings, magic items, monsters, etc. Basically everything except character options.

DriveThruRPG: USD 15-30 per month, much of it on map content.

DTRPG makes is difficult to filter on prior purchases. So I can't easily determine my 'map' spend. But for shopping, you can easily filter on map materials if you want to get an idea of price ranges.

Catographer Digital Copies of Official AP Maps

Example: Curse of Straud Map Bundle by Mike Schley: USD 30

Eventually I plan on running Curse of Straud, so I bought this map bundle. Some of the maps will be used with Realm Works and for those that are appropriate as battlemaps, I'll print on a plotter printer.

Mike Schley sells digital versions of his CoS maps that you can print or put into a VTT, which I purchased.

VTT Bundles

I only play in person and don't like to DM using a VTT. But you should look at the various options for selling content for Fantasy Grounds, Rolld20, and similar programs.

RealmWorks Content Market

Someday "soon" this will go live. When it does, it will be another avenue for artists to sell their content. I would by map material from RW before any other source as it would save me time. While it isn't available for you to sell your content there now, you should subscribe to Lone Wolf Development's e-mail list so you know when it is available.

Hope this is useful.

Remove ads