• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is there any D&D 4th computer game?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But 4th edition seems to be so heavily based and build around turns that I have a hard time imaging how you could make it real time without changing it in something that isn't d&d4 at all.

No more so than another other version of the game... timing by turns in 4e is itself illusionary (just as much so as in other games) the game mentions that all these things are happening simultaneously.... its the things you are choosing and the options you have not the precise timing of them that make it D&D4e...

Turns are an artificiality that is very necessary in pnp... that almost always gets dropped when rpgs get computerised (because they are no longer necessary ->also slowing down the fun -- so I am waiting for the other guy when I dont need to makes zero sense.)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
NWN you could build your own campaign worlds for online play. There was(still could be) a very large community of people who built these servers. There are a lot of mods that were made for that games too. You could play multi-player mods with friends over LAN or internet. Some of the persistent world servers were really nice.

That sounds very nice but the people who I knew who played NWN dont do it anymore... shrug.

And mods are serious awesomeness... to what extent was modding possible? what could be changed and customized?

Last edited:

kolpo

First Post
That sounds very nice but the people who I knew who played NWN dont do it anymore... shrug.

And mods are serious awesomeness... to what extent was modding possible? what could be changed and customized?

You could mod a lot. For example the prc mod added psions, truenaming, warlocks while none of those subsystems existed in the unmodded game. But in NWN where there also somethings that where really hardcoded, making it very hard to mod them.

Kinneus

Explorer
Anyone ever play the original Final Fantasy Tactics on Playstation? That is -perfect- for a 4e CRPG. You can have a battlegrid, turn-based combat, and squad-based tactics in a video game. It's been done plenty of times before.

interwyrm

First Post
Lots of games managed D&D without being turn-based. Whether you shift or not doesn't need to be decided then - the power just lets you move without OA for 2 seconds, etc.

keterys has the right idea.

I remember when 4e first came out hearing that it's a lot like WoW. I didn't think so until I actually started playing WoW. I really think 4e *could* be made into a real time game (as long as you only control one character.)

At-wills are your normal skills, encounters are the ones on a short cooldown, and dailies are the ones on a long cooldown. Marking works a lot like taunts. In my opinion, the *trickiest* powers to implement will be those which slide, rather than push or pull. Push is easy, just knock back directly away (loses a little strategic utility). Pull is the same. I'd argue 4e is actually easier to convert to RT than previous editions since no one has an unmanageable set of options to deal with. Most WoW characters have more skills that they will use often than 4e DnD characters do. (I know when I was playing I had at least 15 keybinds).

Whether or not RT should be done is another question. I recently bought Cyanide's video game conversion of Blood Bowl. It comes with a RT mode that *absolutely sucks*. It's obvious that they spent way too much time trying to convert blood bowl into something with more mass appeal, when they should have been adding extra races and making sure the turn based game was working properly. (If you're curious, the TB part is a faithful replication of the TT game).

Personally, I'd much rather see a turn based strategic game for 4e before I see any RT ports.

fba827

Adventurer
i'm a big fan of turnbased rpgs (I play the heck out of the old school ones like shining force 1&2, older final fantasies, phantasy star 4, even older ones like pool of radiance and what not). when dragon age oriins comes out, i'll probably get it and play the whlole thing turn based (i believe it lets you switch between realtime/turn based byt constantly pausing to choose actions)

i would love to have a current D&D game with shinier graphics (and didn't feel like i was playing pokemon - i'm just not a pokemon fan). Though, something tells me I am not the 'mainstream consumer' that games have to appeal to in order to be considered successful.

Also, as someone hinted at earlier, if they let you change stuff all the better - for example, in Champions online, they let you change the color/hue of your powers. And modifiying your character appearance would be fun (though not necessary for me).

Mirtek

Hero
No more than 3rd edition did.

Encounter powers become powers with a one minute cool-down, Dailies require a rest.

System done.
Wouldn't solve the problem with immediate actions and forced movement. Either you make it turn based or you'll lose a lot of precision.

Squire James

First Post
I happen to think Square-Enix would have been a lot better served if they had made Final Fantasy Tactics 2-6 for the PS2 rather than a several PSP games and that "Spirits Within" movie (not that I think that was their exact options, but...). While I am tempted to get a PSP to play some of the classic remakes they have been making lately, they would already have my money if they were PS2 games to begin with!

Wait, this was a D&D 4e game discussion, right? I wish there was something to discuss! I think WotC made a serious mistake locking up their D&D licensing so tight, and it has already bitten them in the arse big time. All the game manufacturers want to do these days is make another game that does as well as The Sims or World of Warcraft, while I think all of our interests would be better served by 6-8 low budget but technically solid games based (perhaps loosely) on D&D.

Maybe this is just a bunch of dreams of some dude who's backed himself into a gaming niche, but I spent a LOT more money on games in college than I do not and I have a LOT more money now! They must be doing SOMETHING wrong!

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I want shadow over mystara like game! :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8r4J055fQU]YouTube - Dungeons and Dragons Shadow over Mystara - 4 players Playthrough [1/10][/ame]

Remove ads