Is there any decent Horror or Dark Fantasy Anime?

frankthedm

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
If it ever gets licensed, pick up 'Ghost Hunt'.

It's one of the few series that HAVE ever given me the willies, and doesnt overly rely on gore in place of horror, like a lot of horror does.
Seems decent. Found a sampling of it on you tube.

Shalimar

First Post
Ahzad said:
i like witchhunter robin. it's more of a cop/drama show dealing w/ witches, than outright horror.

Its pretty dark so it shoud qualify.

Bleach does get better once you get past the initial arc. Ichigo gets beat to hell a lot after the Soul Society arc.

Villano

First Post
I'd suggest staying away from Devil Lady (aka, Devilman Lady, aka, Lady Devilman). As the name would suggest, it's more or less a female version of Devilman.

It starts off well enough, very dark and moody, but then suddenly changes at the end. The original characters are pushed to the side, while these cartoony-looking human/demon hybrids are introduced. One character, who looks like the human form of the original Devilman (and really looks out of place compared to the other, more realistic designs), basically comes out of nowhere and becomes the hero. And the ending doesn't make any sense.

I know there are many people who like this anime, but, to me, it feels like one of those old patchjob movies, where they would take two unfinished films and edit them together.

For recommendations: Paranoia Agent is very good. And don't forget there was a sequel to Vampire Hunter D.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Villano said:
And don't forget there was a sequel to Vampire Hunter D.
That's a severe understatement... Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is an incredibly better movie than the original. The first was average, but Bloodlust is superb.

Dark fantasy, huh? Not my usual fare, but Demon City Shinjuku, maybe? A bit old, and not one of the greats, but if you want to watch a guy fight through a group of demons who destroyed Tokyo, it isn't bad.

Villano

First Post
Oooh, what about that one with the kids playing hide & seek in an abandoned town? They all are wearing animal masks and start to disappear one by one? I think Cartoon Network showed it. It was pretty good. What was it called?

D.Shaffer

First Post
Villano said:
Oooh, what about that one with the kids playing hide & seek in an abandoned town? They all are wearing animal masks and start to disappear one by one? I think Cartoon Network showed it. It was pretty good. What was it called?
Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek. And yeah, it showed up on Adult Swim

Frank the DM said:
Anime awaiting official translation and licensing to the US.
To be more technically correct...it's a light novel series that was made into a manga series, that was made into an anime series. ;)

The manga's being translated and put out by Del Rey, but it's a bit inferior to the anime, IMO. It relies on a more Shojo art style then the anime series, so everyone looks a bit 'cutesey'. The anime version also cuts out a lot of the facefaults and other comedy bits out of nowhere that shows up in the manga.

Remove ads