D&D 5E Is there beef between Mearls and Cook?

shoak1

Banned
Banned
In my experience its usually its just the younger players that have the need to stubbornly go where they want ("I don't WANT to go where the DM wants me to, I want to go THERE!!!"). Also it depends on how/where you and your players meet, thus what you and your players backgrounds are. My players and I are all gamists who enjoy a variety of games, all of which have boundaries and rules.

You say it sounds like I play D and D as a video game - I say I play it as "D and D," while you play it as story time. The pendulum swings to each end precisely cuz there is a lot of weight, e.g. fans, both ways.

Valetudo

Adventurer
In my experience its usually its just the younger players that have the need to stubbornly go where they want ("I don't WANT to go where the DM wants me to, I want to go THERE!!!"). Also it depends on how/where you and your players meet, thus what you and your players backgrounds are. My players and I are all gamists who enjoy a variety of games, all of which have boundaries and rules.

You say it sounds like I play D and D as a video game - I say I play it as "D and D," while you play it as story time. The pendulum swings to each end precisely cuz there is a lot of weight, e.g. fans, both ways.
I like how it always comes back to younger players are doing it wrong. Guess what, the worst dming I ever saw was in the eighties. Thats where the stereotype came from buddy. Thats why I started dming in the first place is because the "OLDER" dms were so bad. People need to stop using their age as an excuse on these forums as to why they do dnd better than others. Most of the time, it just means you have sucked at the game longer. My younger players come up with just as good pcs or stories as my older players.

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
Monte commented about his problems when returning to WotC here.

Plus as DEFCON 1 said right at the beginning of the thread, the full-time contract probably would have required any RPG-related IP that Cook came up with be assigned to WotC. I suspect Numenera was already on his mind, and that didn't sit well.

So probably a combination of both factors.

RedShirt

Remove ads