• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a legal character concept

yipwyg42

First Post
1st level fighter / 1st level mage human

fighter class substitution from complete mage where you lose medium and heavy armor proficiency but can cast spells in light armor equal to 1 + fighter level.

spend a feat to re-learn medium armor

2nd feat Battle Caster from complete Arcane Can cast spells in armor one grade higher. So now can cast spells in medium armor. I would still rule that highest spell level is 1 + fighter levels.

Thanks

Question

First Post
If im not mistaken you are saying that the fighter substitution class requires you to have 8 levels in fighter to cast level 9 spells in light armor?

yipwyg42

First Post
yep

Now i know that there are many ways to do this. You could for instance choose to be a warmage, I can't remember the name of the class in the Player's Handbook 2 that can cast in armor.

I am looking at this from a only the core classes in the Player's Handbook is available. I'm considering a organization of fighter/mage and/or fighter/sorcerers. I am trying to keep it to the 11 default classes.

The thing with the warmage and the other class, is that the spell list they use is limited in scope. This is a balancing factor, the way I mention above still has all the wizard/sorcerer spell list available up to the level they can cast.

Now the above fighter/mage can cast spells in light armor, the spells that have no spell failure equals 1 + total fighter levels. If he chooses to cast spells higher than that he would take the spell failure penalty.

Last edited:

yipwyg42

First Post
The original thing I was attempting was getting the dragon husk ability from dragon magic. However that won't work, without rebuying light and medium armor.

Basically thinking of a unit of fighter/mages or fighter/sorcerers that wear armor made of dragon skin. Don't think Dragon Armor is considered light, think it is medium. I might be mistaken though.

cmanos

First Post
Warmages(CA) or Duskblades(PHB2) are your way to go. No crossclassing and you get proficiency with armor, and avoid the ASF with class features.

I don't have Complete Mage, so I am not sure how the Fighter Class Level substitution is worded, but Battlecaster allows you to cast spells in higher level armor, only in the class that allows you to cast in armor. Your class that is allowing you to cast in armor is Fighters. Fighters do not have spellcasting.

The feat was designed specifically for Warmages. It also extends to Duskblades and Beguilers.

yipwyg42

First Post
you are right, after re-reading it.

I would then reword it, basically letting you cast spells with no failure chance 1 category higher than what you could previous do.

This way you would have to take it once for light, again for medium, again for heavy.

Remember I want to do this with only the base 11 classes. Therefore will have to reword or modify feats that are tied to specific new classes.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Battle Caster also applies to bards. Plus, mithral makes heavy armor count as medium armor. A bard with Battle Caster can cast in mithral full plate with no ASF.

wayne62682

First Post
Question said:
If im not mistaken you are saying that the fighter substitution class requires you to have 8 levels in fighter to cast level 9 spells in light armor?

Yup.. which basically makes it utterly worthless.

Remove ads