• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this an Attack of Opportunity?

Legildur

First Post
Artoomis said:
This has been quite a discussion. Do you have enough input yet? :p
This ain't a discussion! Why I remember back in my day we had threads like 'Monks and Improved Natural Attack' and 'is FAQ=Errata'. Now THERE'S a discussion ;)

PS I've really enjoyed following this thread. I started reading it last Thursday (from memory) and the next night in my live game another player turned to me and asked 'the fighter is unconscious and the bugbear is standing in his square, will I draw an AOO if I reach into his square to heal him?' and I had an answer that actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about!! Thanks Telas!

Mind you, there hasn't been any discussion about what happens after the fighter becomes conscious and you suddenly have 2 creatures occupying the same square......

Telas

Explorer
Legildur said:
Mind you, there hasn't been any discussion about what happens after the fighter becomes conscious and you suddenly have 2 creatures occupying the same square......

Heh. That exact thing happened, since I missed the AoO (yes, it was my barbarian in the square). This was a month or so ago, and I was raging, so my memory may be hazy. He became conscious, grabbed for his axe, took a swing and missed (IIRC). I sent him to his ancestors the next round, then went after the cleric. The short-lived caster fumbled on two scrolls (I think because I tried to intimidate her, but the DM just rolled crappy), and ended up t'porting away by reaching into two occupied squares to grab her friends.

The AoOs killed her as the spell completed. She arrived dead, with two dead companions. I hope there was someone there to meet them, or there's a few bodies and a pile of treasure just sitting in a room somewhere....

Telas

Artoomis

First Post
Telas said:
Heh. That exact thing happened, since I missed the AoO (yes, it was my barbarian in the square). This was a month or so ago, and I was raging, so my memory may be hazy. He became conscious, grabbed for his axe, took a swing and missed (IIRC). I sent him to his ancestors the next round, then went after the cleric. The short-lived caster fumbled on two scrolls (I think because I tried to intimidate her, but the DM just rolled crappy), and ended up t'porting away by reaching into two occupied squares to grab her friends.

The AoOs killed her as the spell completed. She arrived dead, with two dead companions. I hope there was someone there to meet them, or there's a few bodies and a pile of treasure just sitting in a room somewhere....

Telas

I think the DM flubbed the teleport - it should not have happened. If AoOs were granted for reaching in to enemy-occupied squares to grab her friends for teleport, then the AoOs happened BEFORE the teleport and the teleport should not have completed.

The bodies and treasure should have been yours!

Ah, well, perhaps someone will raise them and you'll get to fight them again and get the treasure that way. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads