• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E is this nova makes sense? op?

spartanah

Explorer
so I'm playing a 13th level hexblade oath of conquest fallen aasimar.
and I figured that I can nova with GWM (7+4+10+4.5*6+5)*2 +13

(Two handed+18STR+GWM+hex smite)* 2 attks +aasimar

it's 119 DPR nova. and not that complicated to achieve. and I excluded crit chances.
is it op?
I indeed used playtest material but not anything that seems op in the first place and I don't know if it's big for lvl 13.

Barolo

First Post

it's 119 DPR nova. and not that complicated to achieve. and I excluded crit chances.
is it op?
I indeed used playtest material but not anything that seems op in the first place and I don't know if it's big for lvl 13.

What do you mean by hexblade oath of conquest? Are you dipping two levels in paladin then going warlock 11 for the 5th level spell slots? If so, the damage limit per smite is 5d8 (as if the slot was 4th level), unless the enemy is undead or fiend. In your calculations you seem to assume 6d8; if you are adding hex spell damage, the die is a d6, if you are adding improved divine smite then you are a 11th level paladin, thus limited to 3rd level spells.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

is it op?

What's the +5 on end coming from.
7 weapon DMg
4 str mod
10 gwf mod
4.5 * 6 is smite dmg
5 is ?????

Any optimizer will tell you that you should almost never use GWM if you're planning to smite, since the lost damage when you miss is far greater than the extra +10 on a hit.

Barolo

First Post
What's the +5 on end coming from.
7 weapon DMg
4 str mod
10 gwf mod
4.5 * 6 is smite dmg
5 is ?????

I guess it is + prof to damage from hexblade, warlock unearthed arcana. Also, to hex + hexblade curse, two rounds are needed, as both take a bonus action.

Barolo

First Post
Well, it seems something is wrong with your original math, but if all you want is a comparison to what other PC could do, and considering you can only do that combo once per fight and that you need a previous round to actually set it up, if you are using hex + hexblade curse, we have from the PHB only (ignoring complements and unearthed arcana articles):

A sorcerer 11 / warlock 2 with cha 20 could hex and on the next round agonizing eldritch blast + quicken lvl 6 scorching ray for 3d10 + 3x5 + 3d6 + 14d6 + 7d6 = 115.5, or 120.5 if draconic bloodline (fire). They also empower both spells, potentially increasing the damage at least of the scorching ray, considering the amount of dice being rolled. And they could do it all again on the next round, albeit at a lower power (lvl 5 scorching ray, for 105/110 dmg). A lvl 13 sorcerer with the magic initiate feat (taking hex + eldritch blast) would be able to something similar, with a higher level spell slot for the scorching ray but without the agonizing invocation. There are other combos that net more damage, some of them at more limited circumstances (something on the lines of hasted assassin rogue/warlock/sorcerer against surprised victim).

Even on a game without feats or multiclass, a fire dragon sorcerer 13 can quicken lvl 7 disintegrate + firebolt for 107 dmg, but only once per day, or twin lvl 7 disintegrate for 85.5 dmg against two targets, while a GWM PAM paladin 13 alone can smite for (5.5 + 10 + 4 + 4.5*4)*2 + bonus action (2.5 + 10 + 4 +4.5*5) for a total of 114 once per day, using 2 3rd level slots + 1 4th level slot for the smites, although as mentioned by Sorcerers Apprentice, it gets less likely to pull off the whole trick when you are using the -5/+10 part of GWM.

spartanah

Explorer
+5 is prfo to hex curse. im 8 conquest 5 hexblade.
it will take me a round of preraration in which i turn the aasimar and now i will throw hex. 2nd round will be the curse and attack action.

and even with the round od preparation im pretty well defended, since the fallen makes fear for creatures next to me.

it's good to know it's not op. and i disagree about GWM since conquest has +10 to atk with channel divinity and devil's sight will give me adv.

anyways im not trying to optimize, my character is a lot of fluff. but i was just wandering what is my nova.
so with 1 round of prep i can add the 3.5 from hex, which ill need anyway. but i see that the nova is okay, not op

Barolo

First Post
Oh, ok, you have a lot of att bonus to sink on the -5, so go for it.

Where is the 4.5*6 per attack coming from, though?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A level 11 fighter with action surge and great weapon master can nova for about 120 if all his attacks hit. His nova also scales better with magical weapons etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads