• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this puzzle solvable?

Nightson

First Post
Assuming the rogue has taken twenty on thievery looking for traps and the wizard has taken twenty on arcana looking out for magic.

I'd start pushing the gems.

Pattern of 12113, 21131, 11312, 13121, 31211. First all five on each individual gem. Then start going around.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Nup. Can't solve it.

I start pushing buttons (gems) randomly. Monkey, type writer, infinite time.

Although I'd say mulitples of 3 and 5 are important.

devastator

First Post
mudbunny: the gems are all around the side of the column, about 6 inches from the top.
topographically it looks thusly:

......Y
..R.1..1.B

Nightson: no traps or manipulatable magic are found. the rest of your response baffles me.

mark:

the following occurs after each press:
Red: the die all slide along the surface of the dais counterclockwise, retaining the pentagon formation. they stop in the below position.

......Y
..R.3..1.B

Blue: the two die nearest the blue gem both tip and roll, now showing the "2" face.

......Y
..R.3..2.B

Red: they die slide along again, stopping thusly:

......Y
..R.1..3.B

Red: and again

......Y
..R.2..1.B

Yellow: the die nearest and the two die furthest from the yellow gem all rotate and tip, now showing the number higher than they had just shown:

......Y
..R.3..2.B

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Knowledge check of some sort to see if there are patterns of numbers that have come up during the adventure.

Then use the gems to modify the numbers so that they match those numbers.

Failing that, go for all the same number, or increasing clockwise or counter-clockwise.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The Dais is stationary.
The die are 6 sided and cannot be tipped over or moved(as stated above).
Each gem is uniquely shaped.
The yellow gem fits the slot. You notice as you insert it that you can push the gems like buttons.

1, 1, 2, 1, 3 is the beginning of a fractal sequence

1, 1, 2, 3, 5 is part of the Fibonacci sequence.

It's possible that the dimensions of the room and dias have some relation the pattern of numbers that must be displayed to solve the puzzle.

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I have one player who is a theoretical physicist. He does advanced maths for fun. He might like this puzzle.

No-one else I have ever gamed with would care beyond the first few minutes. They would dismantle the room with magic or earth moving equipment if they have the time (a la Alexander and the Gordian knot.)

So I guess my response to your question is: are any of your players the type to do advanced maths for fun? If so, stick it in. Be prepared for the other players to get bored.

Remove ads