• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this puzzle solvable?

the following occurs after each press:
Red: the die all slide along the surface of the dais counterclockwise, retaining the pentagon formation. they stop in the below position.

Blue: the two die nearest the blue gem both tip and roll, now showing the "2" face.

Yellow: the die nearest and the two die furthest from the yellow gem all rotate and tip, now showing the number higher than they had just shown:

Once I figured out that the numbers can change, I would probably leave the room to search the rest of the dungeon for clues to what the correct number sequence is. You really haven't even it made it clear to players that this is supposed to be a puzzle, except for the fact that you told us outright in the first post.

If leaving isn't an option, the puzzle becomes a bit of a button mashing exercize. Since we have no clues as to what the number sequence is supposed to read, I would basically just start fooling around with number combinations. All 1s, all 2s, all 3s, 11223, 33221, etc, etc. I'd make the wizard in the party roll an intelligence check to do the sequencing, rather than walking through each individual button press.

guivre

First Post
mudbunny: the gems are all around the side of the column, about 6 inches from the top.
topographically it looks thusly:

......Y
..R.1..1.B

Nightson: no traps or manipulatable magic are found. the rest of your response baffles me.

mark:

the following occurs after each press:
Red: the die all slide along the surface of the dais counterclockwise, retaining the pentagon formation. they stop in the below position.

......Y
..R.3..1.B

Blue: the two die nearest the blue gem both tip and roll, now showing the "2" face.

......Y
..R.3..2.B

Red: they die slide along again, stopping thusly:

......Y
..R.1..3.B

Red: and again

......Y
..R.2..1.B

Yellow: the die nearest and the two die furthest from the yellow gem all rotate and tip, now showing the number higher than they had just shown:

......Y
..R.3..2.B

Given that behavior my first guess as a player would be to attempt to get all 5 dice showing the same value.

They would all show '3' after Y-R-B-R-R-R-B ...

but now I see you've given 1400 as a clue so no idea how that is relevant :)

korjik

First Post
The group I play with would remove the red and blue gem while disabling the puzzle. We are very good at that sort of thing.

The group I run would either solve the problem in 3 seconds, making the puzzle set up a waste of time, or would emulate the group I play with if they got bored.

devastator

First Post
Alright thanks guys! you've shown me that i need to re-evaluate my solution and clues, but it will be possible and challenging. much appreciated

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I would then go for various number patterns: all 1s, 2s, etc. 1-5, 2-6, 5-1, 6-2, etc.

ALso - What happens when one of the die hits 6, and then is rolled again??

FireLance

Legend
Perhaps one word of advice, if you do decide to run this in a game: do make good use of props, perhaps one red die, one blue die and one yellow die (all non-d6 if you can manage it) to represent the gems, five d6's and a saucer or some other kind of disc to hold the dice so that they can be easily rotated. Having a physical representation of the puzzle that the players can see and manipulate would make it a lot easier for them to understand what's going on.

defendi

Explorer
As soon as you showed how the gems move the dice, it was obvious to me it was a solvable puzzle. If the answer is all the same number, all 6s or all 1s, I think the puzzle is workable as is. If that isn't it, I'd need a clue to what I was trying to produce, but pushing the buttons to make them all the same would be fun for a little bit.

Mercule

Adventurer
I like puzzles, but this one wouldn't thrill me. It looks solvable, but the feedback method looks ill-suited to a table-top game.

Remove ads