• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is TOMB OF HORRORS the Worst Adventure Of All Time?

Prevailing opinion here in the EN World community has traditionally held that the worst adventure module of all time is 1984's The Forest Oracle. 7th Sea designer John Wick (whose upcoming edition of 7th Sea is the third most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2016) vehemently disagrees; he nominates the classic adventure Tomb of Horrors for that position, contending that it "represents all the wrong, backward thinking that people have about being a GM." In an article on his blog (warning: this uses a lot of strong language), he goes into great detail as to why he hold this opinion, stating that the adventure is the "worst, &#@&$&@est, most disgusting piece of pig vomit ever published".

Prevailing opinion here in the EN World community has traditionally held that the worst adventure module of all time is 1984's The Forest Oracle. 7th Sea designer John Wick (whose upcoming edition of 7th Sea is the third most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2016) vehemently disagrees; he nominates the classic adventure Tomb of Horrors for that position, contending that it "represents all the wrong, backward thinking that people have about being a GM." In an article on his blog (warning: this uses a lot of strong language), he goes into great detail as to why he hold this opinion, stating that the adventure is the "worst, &#@&$&@est, most disgusting piece of pig vomit ever published".

1198278663fullres.jpg

[lQ]"My players picked the entrance with the long corridor rather than the two other entrances which are instant kills. That’s right, out of the three ways to enter the tomb, two of them are designed to give the GM the authority for a TPK."[/lQ]

Very strong words, and you can read them all here. As I mentioned before, there's lots of NSFW language there.

The article also includes an anecdote about a convention game in which he participated. In that game, being already familiar with the adventure and its traps (and having advised the DM of this), he played a thief and attempted to discover or deactivate the traps, up until a near TPK occurred and he left the game.

Wick is, of course, no stranger to controversy. A couple of years ago, he created widespread internet arguments when he stated that "The first four editions of D&D are not roleplaying games."

Nytmare

David Jose
Many of these people are still alive.

Since you're accusing them of lying in a public place, the least you could do is track them down and ask them before doing that. Also: [MENTION=55178]Nytmare[/MENTION], Eric V.

You have absolutely 0 reasons to put words into other people's mouths or attempt to twist my skepticism of what I hear recounted year after year as gamer urban legends into something that it's not. Please check your overly aggressive BS at the door.

Zak S

You have absolutely 0 reasons to put words into other people's mouths or attempt to twist my skepticism of what I hear recounted year after year as gamer urban legends into something that it's not. Please check your overly aggressive BS at the door.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood.

Are you saying:
- "The people who post on the internet about having defeated Tomb of Horrors without cheating or having seen it done are lying"

...or are you you saying "The people who post on the internet about having defeated Tomb of Horrors without cheating or having seen it done are telling the truth"

...or are you saying something else?

Because "skepticism about reports" entails necessarily that these reports from Gen Con and the walk-through threads and other comments are lies.

werecorpse

Adventurer
and Eric V, too

Your logical fallacy here is an equivocation over the words "logical" and "rational" and "intelligent"--they are used to mean different things in different parts of your argument.

In trying to WIN the game, what's logical and rational and intelligent concerns "What actions can you perform to get the max xp, survive, etc?".

In trying to CRITIQUE the quality of the game, what's intelligent (in the game design) concerns "How do possible players' idea of fun line up with what the module enables?"

You throw another different definition (kind of blurring "logical" "rational" and "intelligent") into the mix (also used in critque) "Is the fantastic gameworld itself logically consistent with our world?"--which is not relevant. Like asking why each time you jump on a turtle in Super Mario it slides rather than just gets crushed. Does an "intelligent"
player throw up their hands in disgust because the physics are "irrational" or does the intelligent player realize
how turtle shells work and use it to their advantage. Depends on which of the equivocal definitions you used.

So you're pretending "logical and rational" mean the same thing in all 3 cases when you've secretly kind of redefined it each time.

1. I don't use the word rational
2. I am commenting on what I see as inconsistencies in the argument that says it's intelligent play to hire dwarves to strip mine the dungeon to get the mithril but levels criticism at someone who picks apart the economics and practicalities of the world (which IMO is relied upon to hire the dwarves) - partly because this argument ties into one that is levelled at those who say they dislike the module (the assertion that if you don't like it it's because you aren't clever enough to deal with its tricks)
3. I acknowledge some people have had fun (a great deal) with the module as written and to the extent my comments are criticising someone else's style of fun I retract them and apologise. Different strokes and all that.
4. I am not intending to suggest that the game world is consistent with our own - I am suggesting that there's nothing wrong with asking that it be consistent with the game world as presented.
5. I don't think I have secretly redefined anything.

However, your Mario turtle argument suggests to me that you consider it fine to use the oddities in the dungeon to your advantage (hire the dwarves because the doors are made of very valuable material) but that it is a different thing (and an inappropriate thing) to say the dungeon doesn't make sense because it was built with absurdly rare and valuable material. If this is/was your point I have no issue (edit: though I don't entirely agree I now at least see your point)

Zak S

1. I don't use the word rational
Not relevant to the argument, sorry I included a near-synonym and confused the issue
2. I am commenting on what I see as inconsistencies in the argument that says it's intelligent play to hire dwarves to strip mine the dungeon to get the mithril but levels criticism at someone who picks apart the economics and practicalities of the world (which IMO is relied upon to hire the dwarves) - partly because this argument ties into one that is levelled at those who say they dislike the module

Again: not logical.

The dwarves being hirable is a concern for the player trying to win in a world where that can happen. Whether that is "rational" is not relevant to the quality of the module.

Just like turtles being stompable is relevant to someone trying to beat Super Mario, the physics of that is not relevant and if the physics doesn't match real life that is not relevant and doesn't make the game worse.

I mean: the economics of Mushroom World probably don't make sense, that doesn't mean you can't think of clever things to do in Super Mario or that it's a poorly-designed game.

Demiliches are crazy near-gods and make crazy things in their crazy houses. Ok.

(the assertion that if you don't like it it's because you aren't clever enough to deal with its tricks)

I never said "if you don't like it it's because you aren't clever enough to deal with its tricks" or anything like it. I don't say insane things.

I said a much more rational thing. I said "one possible reason some people may not like it it is they aren't clever enough to deal with its tricks" and "It is not rational to claim the game is 'unbeatable' simply because you can't think of a way to beat it".

3. I acknowledge some people have had fun (a great deal) with the module as written and to the extent my comments are criticising someone else's style of fun I retract them and apologise. Different strokes and all that.

It is good that you did that. This makes you a better person than someone who isn't able to do that.

However, your Mario turtle argument suggests to me that you consider it fine to use the oddities in the dungeon to your advantage (hire the dwarves because the doors are made of very valuable material) but that it is a different thing (and an inappropriate thing) to say the dungeon doesn't make sense because it was built with absurdly rare and valuable material.

That is what I am saying. Though I think the important thing is:

THE BASELINE ASSUMPTION of any fantasy game is that it "doesn't make sense" on some level of physics. This must be true for the game to be a fantasy game with magic in it. This is by definition going to mean there are knock-on effects for some of the economics, etc. A great deal is left in a black box, unexplored by the deisgner. It has to be. To criticize what is known to be a fantasy on the grounds that it contains some of these assumptions is absurd.

The only way to take advantage of strategies that exploit things left in the fantasy world's workings' "black box" (Can I hire dwarves to do x for me? Are there dwarves nearby?) is to run it pas the GM and have them make a call. (And the GM, of course, is an elected office and must represent the collective sensibility of the group) The only other option is to limit the game in some new way that would go against the philosophy of forcing outside-the-box creativity required to make many playstyles fun.

(edit: though I don't entirely agree I now at least see your point)

Then you could say why you don't agree and we could have a conversation about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

werecorpse

Adventurer
I mean whatever it is critics are saying when they say the module is "unwinnable".

ToH was famously beaten, in one of the first tournaments in which it appeared, by someone who had a RAW leveled-up PC who defeated the Lich using the rules (see Tv Tropes).

If you read forums threads there's lots of people describing it being beaten in many other ways.

So whatever way you can define "beaten" it has been "beaten".

Therefore people saying it's "unbeatable" are essentially describing a conspiracy in which dozens of people (at least) have been pretending to have beaten the module or have seen it done using excruciatingly detailed descriptions (including walk-thru threads) for like over 30 years.

I have accepted winning this module in the terms of the discussion means destroying the demilich or the lesser win of looting his vault. It could have meant had a really good time (death included), Heard about the adventure and left it alone. Went in came out without finding the demilich but survived. Just for the purposes of this discussion about the module I think it's worth getting an idea of what people mean when they say it's unwinnable, or it's easy to win.

i googled tv tropes and didn't find the reference you referred to, or any of the walk through threads you refer to. I would be very interested in reading them but I'm not great with Internet searches could you please link them?

I think it's going too far to say that if you doubt that the adventure is winnable you are essentially asserting that there is a conspiracy. You may think that the choices made by the GM in running the game were not those that you would have allowed and that it was those choices that got people though. There are numerous examples of eye witnesses honestly testifying about something and getting it completely wrong. Apart from my comment that winning a tournament might mean getting further in. The DM could have misread something letting a group past a trap that should have killed them, one DM might say you can't dig through the walls to get past doors another might say it takes 3 rounds, a DM might give extra description of a clue any number of things may explain how a group did something, a player may be good at reading the GM and pick up traps not though Playing the module but by GM tells.

I have watched various games online (some run by game designers) and it's pretty common to see people (players and DM's) make rules mistakes or Allow stuff that's not strictly by the book.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Allegedly the world record for running the mile is Hicham El Guerrouj, who ran a mile in 3:43.13.

But really, what are the chances that someone could run a mile that fast? I mean, most people can't. I mean: almost nobody.

So, really, what's more likely: someone ran a mile in 3:43.13 or they didn't?

Occam's Razor, man, he obviously didn't, I mean, come on...

Occam called.

He wants his razor back until you both learn to use it properly : )

Zak S

I have accepted winning this module in the terms of the discussion means destroying the demilich or the lesser win of looting his vault. It could have meant had a really good time (death included), Heard about the adventure and left it alone. Went in came out without finding the demilich but survived. Just for the purposes of this discussion about the module I think it's worth getting an idea of what people mean when they say it's unwinnable, or it's easy to win.

i googled tv tropes and didn't find the reference you referred to, or any of the walk through threads you refer to. I would be very interested in reading them but I'm not great with Internet searches could you please link them?

I think it's going too far to say that if you doubt that the adventure is winnable you are essentially asserting that there is a conspiracy. You may think that the choices made by the GM in running the game were not those that you would have allowed and that it was those choices that got people though. There are numerous examples of eye witnesses honestly testifying about something and getting it completely wrong. Apart from my comment that winning a tournament might mean getting further in. The DM could have misread something letting a group past a trap that should have killed them, one DM might say you can't dig through the walls to get past doors another might say it takes 3 rounds, a DM might give extra description of a clue any number of things may explain how a group did something, a player may be good at reading the GM and pick up traps not though Playing the module but by GM tells.

I have watched various games online (some run by game designers) and it's pretty common to see people (players and DM's) make rules mistakes or Allow stuff that's not strictly by the book.

Gary Gygax, inventor of D&D and Tomb of Horrors, was the guy who judged the tactic beating the demilich was legit.

If he's not an authority on the tournament version of ToH and D&D, who is?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/TombOfHorrors

I found that by googling "Tomb of Horrors" and "tv tropes", so I'm guessing if you want more testimonials, google a wee bit harder.

SPOILERS:
"
Crowning Moment of Awesome: Gary Gygax, in the introduction to Return of the Tomb of Horrors, tells the story of how at one GenCon, one team actually succeeded in the adventure by using one of the no-saving-throw instant death traps against Acererak. "I put the crown on the demilich's head while my buddy taps it with the wrong end of the scepter." Made doubly awesome by the fact that the tournament's DM called in Gary Gygax himself for backup, and Gary admitted that it would work, and ruled that Acererak instantly died. First prize!
"

Robin Laws also wrote a history of Gen Con, so you could ask him--he answers his mail.

Dragonsfoot is a great resource if you want to hear testimonials about people dealing with old modules for the first time.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I had found that tv trope reference - it was the same as the one I had referred to earlier so I was looking for something else.

I will consult the resources you suggest for more stories.

I am aware that Gygax judged the event with the crown and sceptre. The effect of touching the wrong end of the sceptre to the wearer the result is "the wearer is instantly snuffed out, turning to a fetid powder which cannot be brought back to life no matter what (wishes notwithstanding)". I would have thought it was like a powerful curse that effected the living (the use of snuffed out which usually refers to flame, light or life, the phrase can't be brought back to life - a bit like the demilich attack).However its use is novel, innovative and deserves reward in a tournament, and has been judged so by Gygax. I also would have interpreted the words "can be harmed only as follows" to exclude the methods of harm contained in that same adventure. But it worked in that tournament and that's fine and dandy.

I guess my point in referring to this success is to wonder about stories of successes, did they occur by using ways to harm the demilich that depend on DM interpretation rather than according to the methods stated in the adventure?

Hussar

Legend
Many of these people are still alive.

Since you're accusing them of lying in a public place, the least you could do is track them down and ask them before doing that. Also: [MENTION=55178]Nytmare[/MENTION], Eric V.

I'm not accusing them of lying one whit. I'm saying that there may be other details being left out of the story which would explain things better. Which often happens in anecdote. See below.

Allegedly the world record for running the mile is Hicham El Guerrouj, who ran a mile in 3:43.13.

But really, what are the chances that someone could run a mile that fast? I mean, most people can't. I mean: almost nobody.

So, really, what's more likely: someone ran a mile in 3:43.13 or they didn't?

Occam's Razor, man, he obviously didn't, I mean, come on...

Since there is video tape evidence of this, it would be pretty hard to fake. Never minding thousands of spectators who witnessed the event. Now, if I claimed to have run that fast, would you not expect me to provide pretty clear proof? Or would you take me at solely my word? If so, I have this amazing deal in Nigeria for you.

Gary Gygax, inventor of D&D and Tomb of Horrors, was the guy who judged the tactic beating the demilich was legit.

If he's not an authority on the tournament version of ToH and D&D, who is?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/TombOfHorrors

I found that by googling "Tomb of Horrors" and "tv tropes", so I'm guessing if you want more testimonials, google a wee bit harder.

SPOILERS:
"
Crowning Moment of Awesome: Gary Gygax, in the introduction to Return of the Tomb of Horrors, tells the story of how at one GenCon, one team actually succeeded in the adventure by using one of the no-saving-throw instant death traps against Acererak. "I put the crown on the demilich's head while my buddy taps it with the wrong end of the scepter." Made doubly awesome by the fact that the tournament's DM called in Gary Gygax himself for backup, and Gary admitted that it would work, and ruled that Acererak instantly died. First prize!
"

Robin Laws also wrote a history of Gen Con, so you could ask him--he answers his mail.

Dragonsfoot is a great resource if you want to hear testimonials about people dealing with old modules for the first time.

Now, think about this for a second. How did they know about the two ends of the sceptre? The story on TV tropes does not specify. Now, again, it's possible that in the 4 hours they had to resolve the module that they experimented with the sceptre somehow and learned how it worked. That would require at least one PC dying first, but, possible. Or, it's entirely possible that they knew about the crown beforehand, from other accounts, and used that knowledge in the game.

In both cases, the group "won" the adventure, but, which one is more likely? The group, knowing that everything in the dungeon is very bad, would have had to try on the obviously magical crown, kill that PC - for no reason since the curse of the crown only activates after you leave the dungeon - and then think to put that crown on the head of the demi-lich.

Again, it's possible. I totally agree. Just exceedingly unlikely.

-----

Look, the problem with anecdote, as I said before, is that anecdotes by their very nature are rarely the whole story. Once upon a time, I used to follow bridge in the newspaper. The card game. I haven't lived in an English speaking country for a long time, but, I assume that papers still cover bridge clubs. Thing is, bridge clubs report perfect hands far, far more often than is statistically expected. A perfect hand in bridge is so mind bogglingly unlikely that a person could play their entire life and not see one. Yet, here we have witnessed accounts of it occurring on a fairly regular basis.

Are people lying? Is there a conspiracy? Nope, not in the slightest. However, there is more going on than simply playing the game.

Since we certainly don't use a new deck and a Vegas style card shuffler for each hand, the cards themselves are being biased in play. People shuffle, of course, after each hand, but, because the cards themselves are re-entered into the deck in a semi-non random fashion (you collect the "tricks" after each round of play, meaning that suits will be stuck together) and the shuffling itself is rarely thorough enough when done by a human to guarantee a random distribution, the longer a group plays with a given deck, the higher the chance becomes that a perfect hand will be dealt.

Are they cheating? Are they lying? Not in the slightest. It's very unlikely that anyone even considers this during play. It's just normal play. Anyone who has played a lot of cards will see similar events occurring in any card game. Play enough hands of gin with the same deck and the deck becomes significantly biased.

This, IMO, is exactly what's going on here. Tournament games are not private. Anyone can watch, and it's not like there's an NDA governing play after the fact. Gamers talk. Gamers tell gaming stories. "Hey, I put on this crown and Bob disintegrated me with the silver end of the scepter" is a pretty cool gaming story. And thus, forearmed, the next group goes into the scenario with a fair degree of outside help.

If the FIRST group to play the module had done this, I'd be spectacularly impressed. But, again, I sincerely doubt that's the case.

Look, you can beat the module. I did. I stated earlier that I did. We had played through the G series first and had the sword that detected secret doors and the Hammer of Thunderbolts - makes the module a heck of a lot easier. :D

But, no, I'm not going to take anecdotes at face value. Not when perfectly reasonable explanations are sitting right there. What's the saying? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof? Gaming stories from a tournament forty years ago isn't exactly brimming with fact checking is it?

E

ExTSR

If the FIRST group to play the module had done this, I'd be spectacularly impressed. But, again, I sincerely doubt that's the case.
Since your mind is already closed, I'm sure that truth would only push you into "Pix or it didn't happen" denial mode.

But nevertheless...

1975 Origins.
D&D was a year old. Nobody knew if it'd be a dud or a hit. No clue.
There weren't any RPG tournaments yet.
TSR wasn't publishing adventures yet. No TSR character sheets yet, either. (Hat tip to 'Wee Warriors', a married couple from Michigan who had just moved to California, for launching both concepts.)

A small cadre from TSR, led by Gary, ran several tables. All were notoriously "no spectators!"; this was new stuff, new concepts.
At each table, one "best player" was selected. (Seven years later I returned to the same method when I founded the RPGA.)
And more than one table beat the Tomb.

Truth. Deal with it. Or not, your call; plenty of revisionism out there (and in this thread).

cya at the gaming tables...

F

::cue Hussar's denial rant::

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads