• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

Thomas Shey

Legend
It is possible to generate money playing TTRPGs. Well, running them to be more precise. You can run paid campaigns on startplaying.games to turn your hobby into a side hustle. If the cost of an TTRPG book is that big of a financial burden on you, then you can turn that burden into an engine of opportunity.

I think its more accurate to say that's possible. I wouldn't count on being able to do so to any meaningful degree for any random GM.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
What hobby has a baseline of $0?

I'm sure they exist, but, the existence of cheaper hobbies doesn't make RPG's expensive. Note, 2 grand is EVERY SINGLE publication, PLUS online versions of the same. That's the absolute most you could spend from WotC. And, that's enough material to play for about ten years of regular play.

No one is going to go out and buy all the books at once and then buy all the digital versions as well.
[MNBlockhead whistles and tries to walk out the door unnoticed.]

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've never found a lack of books to be a practical issue at the table, so have felt no need to try and pressure anyone into buying anything.

Back when I was less solvent than I am now, my players have chipped in for minis and scenery, and would gladly have done more if I'd needed it and asked. The reason they're not buying books isn't because they're freeloaders or poor, they're just not needed and for some of my players it's just not a priority.

It might be an issue of the specific games involved; most of what I've run over the years (barring RuneQuest, which you could mostly play off the character sheet once you knew what your spells did) required semi-frequent reference to the book, so having only one would be a problem.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
No one is going to go out and buy all the books at once and then buy all the digital versions as well.
Me:
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

(I don't buy every single title published by WotC, certainly not in hardcopy. But I do buy far more electronic books than I do print. Multiple electronic copies, too: I have the PDFs, sure, but I also have certain books in Roll20 for online play. My buddy also has them for DDB, because he prefers to use Foundry VTT.)

MNblockhead

This was back in the mid-90s when I heard that and even then, it was secondhand hearsay, so I always took it with a grain of salt. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.
I last played Warhammer 40k in the late 80s. We only played casual games on the sandtable at my friend's house. We didn't allow unpainted minis because we were insufferable high-school geek snobs that wanted the table to look cool while playing. So I can totally seeing this being a local etiquette/culture thing in some local groups. I have no idea about conventions or organized play and I have no idea if my local group's experiences from over 30 years ago is relevant.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I last played Warhammer 40k in the late 80s. We only played casual games on the sandtable at my friend's house. We didn't allow unpainted minis because we were insufferable high-school geek snobs that wanted the table to look cool while playing. So I can totally seeing this being a local etiquette/culture thing in some local groups. I have no idea about conventions or organized play and I have no idea if my local group's experiences from over 30 years ago is relevant.

I'd guess that any hobby where visual appeal is a big part of it is going to have some degree of this, and miniatures gaming certainly seems one of those.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Me:
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

(I don't buy every single title published by WotC, certainly not in hardcopy. But I do buy far more electronic books than I do print. Multiple electronic copies, too: I have the PDFs, sure, but I also have certain books in Roll20 for online play. My buddy also has them for DDB, because he prefers to use Foundry VTT.)

I'd argue most of that are utility functions--and part of it has some potentially serious benefits. I haven't primarily bought physical books for 20 years now or more because of space considerations.

aco175

Legend
I don't know about UK theaters, but a trip to the movies in the US is $15 to $20 per adult person for admission, plus snacks. Large popcorn and large soda runs about $15...
Don't forget, for a quarter more you can upsize the popcorn to the 5-gallon bucket size.
It is possible to generate money playing TTRPGs. Well, running them to be more precise. You can run paid campaigns on startplaying.games to turn your hobby into a side hustle. If the cost of an TTRPG book is that big of a financial burden on you, then you can turn that burden into an engine of opportunity.
I seem to side hustle DMsGuild. I make enough coin to pay for the hobby and take my group to the local convention. I might buy each of them the PHB later in the year as well. Wish it was enough to pay for the golf membership, but I would have to be a lot better and faster writer for that.

MNblockhead

I have yet to meet a regular player who didn't at least own a PHB. Most owned multiple books. Perhaps Los Angeles is just a huge outlier, though.
This will depend greatly on the group. Generally I don't require my players to buy anything. For D&D my DDB subscription gives them access to everything they need.

For my current Warhammer Fantasy Game they have access to all player-facing material in Foundry VTT.

I don't have time to be a player in a full-time campaign, but most DMs I've played with are same the same. You have access to what you need through the VTT. The only pen and paper games I've been a player in the past few years are one shots run by a friend, usually on a holiday, and they bring all the materials.

For my friends, I think of my game days as hosting an event. When I host a dinner party, I don't require anyone to bring anything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads