• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is World of Warcraft creating a desire for more role-playing in D&D?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Thornir Alekeg said:
The social encounter system might lead to some of the same arguments we have now about Diplomacy and Bluff and how they should be used, but for those really interested in roleplaying, it is a lot easier to de-emphasize or ignore those rules than it is to create a houserule system for groups looking for a more mechanical means to handling social encounters.

Talking in-character has little to do with how encounters are resolved.

In other words: if you use dice to resolve social encounters, it doesn't mean you don't talk in-character.

In my experience, good social resolution systems lead to more social encounters, which in turn leads to more role-playing (talking in-character).

redmagerush

First Post
LostSoul said:
Talking in-character has little to do with how encounters are resolved.

In other words: if you use dice to resolve social encounters, it doesn't mean you don't talk in-character.

In my experience, good social resolution systems lead to more social encounters, which in turn leads to more role-playing (talking in-character).

I agree here. Pretty much all of the lauded "story games" from the Forge and such have very in-depth mechanics for dealing with with social conflicts and these games are considered the pinnacle of "true role-playing" and story telling.

Driddle

First Post
Clavis said:
So, what do you think? Is World of Warcraft actually good for roleplaying in D&D?

Nope. It's creating monster players.

That doesn't apply to anyone on this message board, of course. I'm talking about everyone else who plays Ww. No one here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Driddle said:
Question asked and answered, with exceptions clearly noted.
"Everyone who plays WoW sucks, except for the people who post on ENWorld" is gaming the forum rules and is wildly insulting to posters' spouses, children, parents, roommates and friends.

Driddle

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"Everyone who plays WoW sucks, except for the people who post on ENWorld" is gaming the forum rules and is wildly insulting to posters' spouses, children, parents, roommates and friends.

OK, OK now, Whiz. Just calm down. Not only did you misquote me (using quote marks), you broadly misinterpreted my comment:

Driddle said:
Nope. It's creating monster players.

Monster Players -- players who are all about killing monsters and nothing else. Not roleplayers.

I don't know why you had to make this a personal attack. Let's just back off and assume a more neutral perspective, OK?

Cadfan

First Post
The thing that WoW most contributes to D&D is yet another target for gamer-prejudice. Which is the worst kind of prejudice, because its so absurdly, ridiculously, incredibly trite. If you're going to rot your soul, at least rot it in a way that matters.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Driddle said:
Monster Players -- players who are all about killing monsters and nothing else. Not roleplayers.

I don't know why you had to make this a personal attack. Let's just back off and assume a more neutral perspective, OK?
The fact that you intentionally excluded anyone who posts at ENWorld says that you knew it was an inflammatory and insulting remark, but you just didn't want to deal with getting a red text talking-to because of it. Either commit to insulting millions of people or don't make the insult at all, preferably the latter.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads