• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is WOTC/Hasbro mismanaging D&D?

Is WOTC/Hasbro mismanaging D&D?

• Yes

Votes: 154 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 88 36.4%

Hopping Vampire

First Post
Heres my take on book quality.

The 3e dmg is nowhere near as useful as any previous edition.

Monster Manual : filled with mostly dumb crap
Bodak: i didnt know aliens were undead
Devourer/Digester: a 2 step monster
i dont think i need to continue on the MM

Book of chanllenges: i dont know anyone who hasnt read this book cover to cover (including my players)

Oriental Adventures: generified and stripped down a good setting like Rokugan. Kara Tur was much preferable. the AEG Rokugan supplement fills in all neccesary gaps.

Psionics Handbook: uhmm. this book is utter filth. when i think is Psonics, the first thing that comes to mind isnt some overblown super powered elementalist.

The Sorcerer Class: a gimped wizard. Proficient with all simple weapons, but cant fight with them.

The class books: these are questionable. i am sure many agree.

Dieties and Demigods: this has been discussed.

Manual of the PLanes: another generified setting.

Silver Marches: Fluff. though good, still fluff.

d20 Modern: what happend to Dark*Matter/ Alternity?

Star Wars: definitely not what it could have been.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wow. Hopping Vampire, I like your user name, but I think it's a good thing we don't game together. I'm not sure that I could be more diametrically opposed; out of 12 products you mentioned, I disagree with you on 10 of them. :D

Wolfwood

First Post
I also like your name Hopping Vampire, very cool.

As for the rest of this thread, even though it is obviously a troll I think that they put forth a great effort in the MM, MMII, Deities & Demigods, and the Forgotten Realms god book. For cost reasons, thiers and buyer, they couldn't put everything in and had to put lower power creatures in for those who maybe are new to the game and can't go back to look at old 1E and 2E books. I am quited content with the Stronghold Builders Guide as well, it gives me a few ideas and prices that are bases on what characters wealth at different levels.

Also Piratecat, where did you get your icon/avatar/signature picture? I always chuckle when I see it.

Sir Edgar

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

What you seem to not be grasping is that if the quality is that bad, sales would be falling off the table. They aren't. So apparently many, many people disagree with your basic premise. Or, are you somehow correct, and everyone who disagrees is incorrect, about a subjective matter? You say they're mismanaging D&D. Many more people are buying the game now than ever before, so obviously they disagree with you. So, in essence, they've already voted in a poll similar to yours, and apparently outnumber those who think D&D is being mishandled.

Whoever owns D&D has a monopoly and will make good sales on the core products by sheer fan numbers. The advent of 3rd edition rules and OGL/d20 were also big factors in raising sales. I think you also have to acknowledge the incredible influence The Lord of the Rings movie had in bringing more people into the hobby.

Just because sales are good doesn't mean it's a good product. For example, Aquafina is one of the best-selling bottled water products on the market right now. This is despite the extreme competition in this business. Is it because Aquafina is the best water? No, it's purified water and in my opinion tastes quite bad. There are far better brands of bottled water out there, but Coca-Cola has incredible distribution muscle and cost scale power. Now imagine if Aquafina was the only brand of bottled water available. Can you see how a lot of people would grudgingly buy it, but wouldn't necessarily be happy?

Anyhow, according to your logic, because I bought the core rulebooks I should be one of those people who "voted" that WOTC/Hasbro is NOT mishandling D&D in a sales "poll". But that is obviously not the case. Are you saying that just because someone buys something that they are happy with the product and have no right to express dissatisfaction? Sounds a bit like corporate fascism to me.

ColonelHardisson said:

As for Tome of Horrors - how much do you think a gamer was going to spend on a monster book the size of the one that would have to have been made to accomodate all the "essential" monsters that were left out? Plus, the book would've had to have a lot of new monsters or people would complain that they were simply re-buying old material (which, by the way, we saw plenty of complaints about here on the boards regarding one book or the other). This precise situation is the whole point of the d20 movement.

All I was expecting is that any monsters not covered in Monster Manual be included in Monster Manual 2. But instead I find a lot of silly monsters that look like they took about two minutes each to create. Can you honestly say that you appreciate monster names like "Captured One" and "Spell Weaver"? If you do, fine, but don't try to censor me on my opinions.

Sir Edgar

First Post
BluWolf said:
Sir Edgar,
It seems to be clear you are of the opinion that Hasbro/WoTC is mishandling D&D. That is fine. You are entitled to your opinion and you are very welcome to post that opinion here as often as you like.

I'm curious though. Why would you post a poll asking everyone's opnion on the matter when you don't seem interested in listening to those opinions?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. It just seems every opinion that has been offered that seems to conradict yours you are dismissing out of hand??

:confused:

If I'm not interested in "listening to" (reading) the opinion of others, how do you think I am responding to their posts? Obviously, I am interested and reading what other people think. But that doesn't mean I am not entitled to my own opinion.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wolfwood said:

Also Piratecat, where did you get your icon/avatar/signature picture? I always chuckle when I see it.

Handmade by our very own Chronosome, bless his heart! The avatar, kindly modified by other board members, even winks at you. :D

Chrono is a superbly talented artist and musician. Check out his music for free right here!

And thanks for asking. Hijack over!

Sir Edgar

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

It strikes me that anytime anyone posts a poll along the lines of "Does X suck?" (not just here, but anywhere), it means the poster has already made up his/her mind that "X" does, indeed, suck. Little progress is rarely, if ever, made from that point on.

Please define progress. Does that mean you slowly convincing me that you are right and I am wrong? Because I certainly do not expect the reverse on you.

I am simply expressing my opinion and wanted to see if there are other people who feel the same way. In fact, I am quite surprised that nearly two-thirds of those who have voted in the poll do. I did not even expect a majority.

Sir Edgar

First Post
Umbran said:

Don't equate "opportunity" with "need". A third party publisher sees a market for "Tome of Horrors". The fact that many will buy it does not mean that we need it.

Demand, need, want-- the exact terminology is not important.

Sir Edgar

First Post
Wolfwood said:

As for the rest of this thread, even though it is obviously a troll I think that they put forth a great effort in the MM, MMII, Deities & Demigods, and the Forgotten Realms god book. For cost reasons, thiers and buyer, they couldn't put everything in and had to put lower power creatures in for those who maybe are new to the game and can't go back to look at old 1E and 2E books. I am quited content with the Stronghold Builders Guide as well, it gives me a few ideas and prices that are bases on what characters wealth at different levels.

If you are going to start calling names, then I'd have to describe you as a fanboy.

Anyhow, there were TWO books for monsters published so far by WOTC: Monster Manual and Monster Manual 2. I think that leaves ample room for all of the monsters that were used in past materials.

You are entitled to your opinion re: the Stronghold Builders Guidebook. I have to disagree.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads