• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is WotC over-thinking the Ranger?

Green1

First Post
I still maintain the only problem with the ranger is a lot of players are not really using the scouting abilities and comparing the ranger damage dealing to others who may overshadow them in certain circumstances.

Only fix needed, that can be house ruled or corrected in future prints, is command beast should be a bonus action.

cmad1977

Hero
I still maintain the only problem with the ranger is a lot of players are not really using the scouting abilities and comparing the ranger damage dealing to others who may overshadow them in certain circumstances.

Only fix needed, that can be house ruled or corrected in future prints, is command beast should be a bonus action.

Teh dprz isn't like teh barbareeun

EditorBFG

Explorer
I think both players and WotC are overthinking it. There's a few classes that are not necessarily the best at level 1, but come into their own in later levels. But, that fits with the flavor of what level 1 is. Amateurs, not professionals.
So, if everyone is amateur at combat at 1st level, why is everyone else less amateur than the ranger? Every class gets a combat ability at 1st level, except the ranger.

Green1

First Post
During my first read through of the PHB my first specific really negative reaction was to the Ranger.

So no.

Let me reread the ranger, because I was not really repulsed with the exception of the mistake of making the beastmaster have to sacrifice actions to use beast.

Heeeeere we go...... 1st level.

Straight out the gate, you get a 1d10 HD which is very hardy. Only Mr. Barbarian gets more and Mr. Rouge wishes for it. You don't get plate but that would just slow you down anyways and you CAN use scale. You can use pretty much any weapon so while Mr. Wizard is looking at his cantrip, you are still laying the smack down.

You get okay saves. STR saves as good saves leave something to be desired, but you won't get pushed around. DEX save is one of the most common save and you can be sure while Mr. Wizard and Mr. barbarian are hit by whatever reflex of death, you stand a lot better chance of surviving.

You get 3 skills plus whatever background. A lot of classes are lucky to get 2. Some pretty decent ones in the mix. Stealth, Survival, and Perception that others may have to dip into a background for or spend feat later or just cope without.

That favored enemy at 1st everyone sneezes at? Simple. Divide up between 2 races of humanoids. That way you get two. I would go human. Lots of evil human NPCs. You can pick up languages this way, too. Without feats.

With natural explorer, you make travel through some terrains less painful and you can track stuff, lessening the likelihood of surprise. Unfortunately, this is only as good as your DM uses overland travel.

Compared to other low level starts, Not too much bad.

The importance though is the scouting. Yes, a rogue is cool. But, an urban ranger in a city is like Batman. He knows where things have come and gone. Not all rogues can say that. You won't get lost with him unless someone is screwing with the party magically. You may not have a rogue sneak attack, but you have more HP, maybe better armor and better weapons if you DO happen to be caught and almost eaten :D Try that, Mr. Rogue. Your sneak attack means nothing if you are by yourself and caught. Mr. Ranger is the point man hands down.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Let me reread the ranger, because I was not really repulsed with the exception of the mistake of making the beastmaster have to sacrifice actions to use beast.

Heeeeere we go...... 1st level.

Straight out the gate, you get a 1d10 HD which is very hardy. Only Mr. Barbarian gets more and Mr. Rouge wishes for it. You don't get plate but that would just slow you down anyways and you CAN use scale. You can use pretty much any weapon so while Mr. Wizard is looking at his cantrip, you are still laying the smack down.

You get okay saves. STR saves as good saves leave something to be desired, but you won't get pushed around. DEX save is one of the most common save and you can be sure while Mr. Wizard and Mr. barbarian are hit by whatever reflex of death, you stand a lot better chance of surviving.

You get 3 skills plus whatever background. A lot of classes are lucky to get 2. Some pretty decent ones in the mix. Stealth, Survival, and Perception that others may have to dip into a background for or spend feat later or just cope without.

That favored enemy at 1st everyone sneezes at? Simple. Divide up between 2 races of humanoids. That way you get two. I would go human. Lots of evil human NPCs. You can pick up languages this way, too. Without feats.

With natural explorer, you make travel through some terrains less painful and you can track stuff, lessening the likelihood of surprise. Unfortunately, this is only as good as your DM uses overland travel.

Compared to other low level starts, Not too much bad.

The importance though is the scouting. Yes, a rogue is cool. But, an urban ranger in a city is like Batman. He knows where things have come and gone. Not all rogues can say that. You won't get lost with him unless someone is screwing with the party magically. You may not have a rogue sneak attack, but you have more HP, maybe better armor and better weapons if you DO happen to be caught and almost eaten :D Try that, Mr. Rogue. Your sneak attack means nothing if you are by yourself and caught. Mr. Ranger is the point man hands down.

Thats great.

To me it's by far the least well designed, least mechanically engaging class and the one I'd be the least likely to play.

WotC calls it a playtest, but it's really a concept test. They're throwing up a wave of new ideas and concepts and seeing what people think. Which means going with the most experimental stuff that they're uncertain about. It's not really meant to improve the ranger, it's to get them the information they missed during the mass playtest.

Li Shenron

Legend
Yeah they are definitely overthinking.

This is just part of the whole process, they (we) have to keep talking and criticizing and revising things, because that's a major part of our hobby, even more than playing the game, considering we probably spend more time chatting in forums about playing than really playing...

It's a little bit like the entertaining industry, with people spending more time reading about celebrities gossip than actually watching their movies or going to their concerts. There has to be always something to talk and argue about, otherwise (as it happened last winter) people start posting "is 5e already dead?".

CaptainGemini

First Post
So, if everyone is amateur at combat at 1st level, why is everyone else less amateur than the ranger? Every class gets a combat ability at 1st level, except the ranger.

There's always that one person who picks a martial career while thinking they don't have to actually fight. The Ranger represents that rather well.

Scorpio616

First Post
WotC isn't overthinking the ranger, from what I remember of Iron Heroes, this is just what Mearls's work looks like when he is off the leash.

2 for 1 power attack in a setting where armor is a small die of DR, yeah greeeat idea.

Remove ads