Island Empire Part 1, to Mermaid's Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotley

Hero
Shore Party

The shore party of Radoon, Rook, Marienna and Finn leaves the 'Rumpled Bedsheet' just after dark. The ship made 'island' of Mermaid's Rest seems to be coming alive as the sun goes down and the air cools. Most of the fishing boats seem to heading in, but there seems to some who prefer to work at night. As you pass the 'Balrocc Tolar', a great ship from far Bastiander the Gnolls on guard seem to follow you every step. They seem a very serious and able lot. The next boat you pass is modest yacht that seems all closed up. Soon you are off the extended 'pier' for visiting ships and into the maze of gangways and floating bridges that serve as the 'streets' of this strange city. Soon you come to Salty Bill's tavern. A rotting hulk that might have been a warship two hundred years ago. It lists about 10 degrees to port and several empty casks have been secured to that side to keep it upright. The sails have been replaced with a couple of canvas bladed fans 10 feet across that catch the wind to power pumps to keep up with the incoming water. Most of the interior of the boat has been removed and replaced with one large room. A few upper cabins remain, presumably as living quarters for the owner. A large bar runs down the side of the room that would look appropriate in any big city tavern, but seems odd in the guts of this perpertually sinking old wreck. The walls are decorted with stuffed birds and sea life suggesting that "Bill" is an amature taxidermist of some skill. There are perhaps 10 patrons here getting started on the evenings drinking. All are bristling with weapons and most have at least some armor. Their eyes take in Marienna and your weapons as you enter. A couple of rough looking barmaids with large daggers on their hips serve the patrons. Behind the bar a large mirror with a pronounce crack in it refects the dim light through a variety of liquor bottles and a half dozen kegs are on stands and tapped. Several large axes hang on the wall as well, such that one will be in easy reach where ever the barman stands. Said barman is a large man with a shaved head and few teeth who grins in welcome as you enter his establishment. "Welcome to my place, I'm Salty Bill. What are you drinking tonight?"

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

For the DM only
[sblock] Scott, Give Bill and some of the barmaids some Telempathic projection. Best to ensure a good reception while in here. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Salty Bill's

For Finn only [sblock]The barman's gap toothed grin seems to widen and one of the barmaids wanders over.[/sblock]

A barmaid asks if you all would like a table, but she seems to be focusing on Finn.

Last edited:

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Radoon will make his way to the table she ushers us to and say, "let's begin with a round of whiskey."

Guys - work is killing me this week. My posts may be erratic, sorry.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

OOC: Sorry I've not been posting - Caroline's been in the hospital with an abcess/staff infection, so we've been a little preoccupied. I'll get back into it as soon as I can.

Scotley

Hero
Salty Bill's

You are shown to a reasonably clean table and the barmaid brings a round of very small shot glasses for 2 silver each. The barmaid lingers over Finn just a bit, placing a hand on his shoulder as she puts the tray of shooters on the table. Most places 2 silver would get you a pitcher of common wine. However, the quality of the whiskey isn't bad and is undiluted, perhaps owing to the fact that fresh water is hard to come by in Mermaid's Rest. The other patrons go back to their drinks and low conversations. There seem to be three seperate groups in the room and despite the greeting from Salty Bill it isn't a very social place. Soon the whiskey is gone and Marienna, after expending considerable effort to get the Barmaid to stop staring at Finn and pay attention to her asks, "that green glass bottle above the bar, is that Barrier Island Grog?" Getting an accent Marienna requests a round of that, which sets her back 2 gold pieces. The barman simply comes over and fills the shooters already in front of you from the rough glass bottle. It is crudely made and contrasts with most of the fine bottles on display. It has no label. The rich slightly greenish liquid smells very potent. A lemon only slightly past it's prime is cut into four slices and placed before you. Marienna stands and takes the shot glass in one hand and the lemon slice in the other. She utters the traditional toast for this beverage with mock solemnaty. "Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger," and tosses down the liquor and follows it closely with the lemon slice. The liguid burns like the devils' own fire going down.

For those who choose to drink please make a fortitude save and read the spoiler appropriate to your roll. Feel free to post your character's reactions to the stuff.

Natural one [sblock]Your vision goes dark and you eyes and nose are running. You feel a shape kick to the backside and then realize you have fallen to the floor, and you don't think you can get up. You take 2d10 non-leathal damage and a -6 to dex. for one hour.[/sblock]

2-10 [sblock]Your vision blurs with tears and your tongue seems to swell to twice its normal size, which is a good thing, because otherwise you'd hurl up your lungs. Take 1d4 non-leathal damage and a minus two to all skill checks for the next hour. You are unsteady on your feet and the room is spinning minus -2 to dex for 10 minutes. Marienna is no longer one of your favorite people.[/sblock]

11-14 [sblock]The fire of the liquid going down makes you gasp for breath and you feel the room begin to spin. For a brief instant of panic you think the old ship has rolled onto its side in the water, but once you place a steadying hand on the table things are a little better. -2 to dex for 5 minutes.[/sblock]

15-18 [sblock]After the initial burn this stuff isn't so bad, it reminds you of licorise and rosemary. The room is spinning just a little bit with a pleasant buzz. You feel really good. -1 to all skill checks for 15 minutes, but +2 to con. for the same 15 minutes. You sorta feel like dancing.[/sblock]

19+ [sblock]That stuff is a little firey, but not bad. It makes you feel just a tad light headed, but also really good +2 to Con for 30 minutes. You feel like being active. Its really too bad there isn't a band or at least a bard with a lively tune. Perhaps you should start singing and everyone could join in and then you could dance. You feel your toe start tapping of its own accord. Really the people in this place seem like nice fellows. Ignoring the bad teeth, broken nose and prison tattoos that one barmaid is kinda hot...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Salty Bill's

Salty Bill is grinning wide enough to show all 9 of his remaining teeth. "Well I must say that it is a pleasure to get customers who appreciate the rarer spirits." He holds up a couple of very odd bottles, "I have some Feywine brought back from a raid on Elven lands last winter and a vintage Gnomish Rum that you'll find amusing." The Feywine is in a long thin round bottle that bulges at the bottem and just below the neck; it seems to glow slightly with an inner light, while the other is octagonal and very dark with murky shapes or shadows within the glass. The barmaid leans over and fairly croons in Finn's ear, "I hear that Feywine is simply divine. I'd love to try a nip someday." Her breath is warm against his ear and her dark red braid draps over his shoulder.

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

With a look of semi-dread on his face, Finn contemplates the drink before him. Then, screwing his courage to the sticking point, he stands, salutes Marienna, and replies "May your sails never be empty!" as he throws back the drink.

OOC: Fortitude save (1d20+1=5)

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

Scotley said:
Salty Bill is grinning wide enough to show all 9 of his remaining teeth. "Well I must say that it is a pleasure to get customers who appreciate the rarer spirits." He holds up a couple of very odd bottles, "I have some Feywine brought back from a raid on Elven lands last winter and a vintage Gnomish Rum that you'll find amusing." The Feywine is in a long thin round bottle that bulges at the bottem and just below the neck; it seems to glow slightly with an inner light, while the other is octagonal and very dark with murky shapes or shadows within the glass. The barmaid leans over and fairly croons in Finn's ear, "I hear that Feywine is simply divine. I'd love to try a nip someday." Her breath is warm against his ear and her dark red braid draps over his shoulder.

WIth a bleary grin, and a suddenly discovered brogue to his voice, Finn pats the barmaid's hand with his right hand. "Certainly, me darling! A truly capital idea. Bill, some of both for my fine friends. A toast, to the lovely ladies amongst us, may your admirers always lay at your feet!"

Scotley

Hero
Salty Bill's

Marienna takes her seat after the toast her cheeks slightly flushed and her eyes perhaps a little glazed. Her tongue flicks out to retrive a drop of the greenish liquor. "Wow, that's some stuff eh? She seems to be having a little trouble sitting up in her chair and leans on Radoon her shoulder to his and a hand on the back of his chair." At Finn's offer her eyes light up, "Yes, I've heard Feywine is marvelous, but that Gnome rum is a new one on me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads