• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire, Part III, The Lich's Curse

Scotley

Hero
Inn of the White Wake

As Mingo settles in to write, Anson and Mig eagerly head out to find the temple. Though they might not admit it, both are happy to have dry land under their feet again and they trot off with a spring in their steps.

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

Scotley said:

"I don't usually buy spells, but perhaps a trade it in order? I am always willing to help out a fellow Gnome."
First of all, Gnurl disbelieves that this fellow is really a gnome. He feels that this is just too coincidental, and this person is probably using the spell Reflective Disguise. But, regardless of the outcome of his suspicions, Gnurl continues on with his business.

"I am interested in a few -- I'll list all of them and you can tell me which might be available, and then I'll tell you what I am willing to trade. And, if necessary what I am willing to pay in addition. How does that sound?" Presuming he agrees, Gnurl continues, "I am interested in the following spells: Baleful Transposition (SC, level 2), Phantasmal Assailants (SC, level 2), Shadow Mask (SC, level 2), Gater Mage Armor, (SC, level 3), Mass Mage Armor, level 3), Sensory Deprivation, level 4), Force Missiles (SC, level 4), Shadow Spray (SC, level 2), and Shadow Hand (SC, level 5). There, see, how restrained I was in my inquiries? Most of the spells that I have asked about are quite low level. However, I am prepared to offer you: Fever Dream (level 5), Baleful Polymorph (level 5), Improved Invisibility Sphere (level 5), Phantasmal Killer (level 4, and one of my personal favorites!), Orb of Force (level 4), and Greater Invisibility (level 4). Would any of those interest you?"

J. Alexander

First Post
Cambry

Geoffrey will stay up till just past midnight working on possible items adn equipment for the voayage and thinking it would be wise to have the ship reblessed and conscreated before setting out just as a precaution as they are going against a known lich....after midnight he will turn in...

Scotley

Hero
Emberglow's Curious Notions

The Gnome, for Gnurl can find no evidence to the contrary, rubs his large nose and considers a moment. Finally he goes behind a counter in the very cluttered shop and consults a large tome, appearently an inventory of some sort and returns.

"I can trade for Baleful Transposition, I love that one as a way to cut in at dances, Greater mage armor (you didn't really want Gator mage armor which clads the caster in armor that looks like alligator hide did you?), Mass Mage Armor, Phantasmal Assailants, another good one though in truth I've found a 5th of good Gnomish Brandy will do the same thing to a target, and Shadow Hand. I'd be willing to trade all those for Fever Dream (level 5), Baleful Polymorph (level 5), and Improved Invisibility Sphere (level 5). 15 levels for 15 levels. If you throw in Greater Invisibility I'll cover all the costs for ink and other materials." He blows the dust off a scroll he got behind the counters and says, "I can also sell you a scroll of Force Missiles for 700 gp, I never was much good with evocations. Not really my style."

Scotley

Hero
J. Alexander said:
Geoffrey will stay up till just past midnight working on possible items adn equipment for the voayage and thinking it would be wise to have the ship reblessed and conscreated before setting out just as a precaution as they are going against a known lich....after midnight he will turn in...

Geoffrey passes a mostly uneventful night though he has a peculiar dream in which a horde of little demons is looking for him. In the dream he manages to round corners or step though doors just before they catch him. At the end he stands at the top of a ladder with the demons at the bottom just starting to climb and he wonders where he can go for there is only empty air about him at the top of the ladder. He wakes just before the demons reach him.

Leif

Adventurer
Scotley said:
"I can trade for Baleful Transposition, I love that one as a way to cut in at dances, Greater mage armor (you didn't really want Gator mage armor which clads the caster in armor that looks like alligator hide did you?), Mass Mage Armor, Phantasmal Assailants, another good one though in truth I've found a 5th of good Gnomish Brandy will do the same thing to a target, and Shadow Hand. I'd be willing to trade all those for Fever Dream (level 5), Baleful Polymorph (level 5), and Improved Invisibility Sphere (level 5). 15 levels for 15 levels. If you throw in Greater Invisibility I'll cover all the costs for ink and other materials." He blows the dust off a scroll he got behind the counters and says, "I can also sell you a scroll of Force Missiles for 700 gp, I never was much good with evocations. Not really my style."
Gnurl will take this opportunity to conduct this business in his native tongue with another native speaker, so, in Gnomish, he says, "The trade of spells sounds most excellent! And, as you suggest, I'll be happy to throw in Greater Invisibility if you'll cover the materials cost. I am interested in the scroll as well, but I have an item to trade for that, too, you see: a scroll of Dispel Magic, only a 3rd level spell, but cast at 10th caster level." Gnurl's prodigious schnoz and the rest of his face all turn beet red as he blushes, "And yes, you are correct, I meant Greater Mage Armor, I LOATHE crocodilians!

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Razlebash considers briefly and finally says, "Sure, the disple magic will almost certainly move faster than the other." A look at the heep of dusty junk that passes for an inventory here suggests that nothing sells quickly here. "Business is a little slow just now, so we can make the trade now if you came prepared?" Getting the assent, the Gnome busies himself with gathering a blank spell book, some inks, pens and other supplies as well as a book of his own spells.

SirCaith

First Post
For the DM [sblock] Ok, Scott, I might be about to take some liberties here. I don't know if you had prepared any special background for Madame daShondie, but I'm about to give her some. If you need a reference point, check here, and read Finn's history. Since you made his contact a woman, I thought I would have some fun with it. [/sblock]

Scotley said:
"I see, it seems you have more need of me than to simply make a report." She takes his hands and he finds them warm and comforting. "Tell me what has happened and how I can help you." She is a tall slim woman with dark eyes, cinnamon skin and lustrous black hair perhaps 10 years older than Finn.

Glancing back to insure that the door has completely closed, Finn bows to kiss the fingers of the lovely lady.

"Indeed, Angela, more than just a report. When I said I had lost something, I meant, if not my mind, at least the peace of it. For short periods while at Mermaid's Rest, I lost my freedom and even my life. Those I seem to have recovered, but this mission has given me reason to curse that night we spent together five years ago. I would not change what happened, but a new task lies before me that the Corps would not normally assign to one as junior as I. Unfortunately for them, it is my existence that depends upon the outcome, almost as much as the Emperor's throne may. I will not give over this responsibility to someone I know not."

Finn moves the two of them to a pair of comfortable chairs to sit, and details the events from when he joined the crew of Rumpled Bedsheet through the Masque and the aftermath at the Dais of the Sea Sorceror cum Lich.

Remove ads