Island Empire, Part IV To face the Lich

Scotley

Hero
GM: Okay gang, I haven't forgotten about you. I hope to have the encounter with the Lich ready to present by Sunday evening with luck.

Scotley

Hero
Radoon creeps up the stairs an onto the roof. At the top he finds the Lich resplendent in silken robes standing before a podium across an even larger pentagram than the one in the lab downstairs. He holds a wickedly sharp dagger in one hand and an ornate staff in the other. The fiery Mephit from the fireplace is at his elbow.

Exiting the pentagram toward you is a pair of odd looking creatures with the lower body of a muscular horse and the torso, arms, and head of a sickly human. Its flesh is pale and festers with sores. Heavy horns protrude from its brow, and it wears an intricate suit of full plate armor. Patches of bristly hair protrude from chinks in its armor.

[sblock=Knowledge religion or the planes 25+]The strange creatures are Armanites. Armanites are demonic heavy cavalry, charging with uncontained bloodlust and fury into the ranks of their foes. As demons they are immune to poison and electricity and resistant to cold, fire and acid.[/sblock]

While the Lich doesn't seem to see Radoon the others obviously do.

OOC: Initiative and Actions?

Attachments

• Lich's tower-2-r1.xls
    66 KB · Views: 89
  • Armanite.jpg
    Armanite.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 76

Lou

Explorer
Zurrik Odeil

Zurrik sees the lich for the first time and involuntarily shivers. Seeing the strange horsemen, he asks, "What is that?"

OOC: Initiative and Skill Check (Knowledge The Planes)

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling Gnome Wizard at Small

OOC: This would be a great time for Gnurl to use his Runestaff of the Undead Slayer! Unfortunately, I can't find the spell Undeath to Death so I don't know what level of spell he has to expend to cast it from the Runestaff! I'd appreciate it, Scotley, if you could tell me what level each of the spells are that the Runestaff can cast!

I think I remember that Undeath to Death is too powerful for Gnurl to cast, so he will sacrifice a third level spell to cast Searing Light at the lich. Ranged touch attack for 10d6 damage unless the creature is especially vulnerable to light, in which case is is 10d8 damage. I'll roll both damages and the DM can choose the appropriate one, ok?

RET-CON: The Runestaff does not have Searing Light after all, so I'll use the 3rd level Halt Undead instead.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC: This would be a great time for Gnurl to use his Runestaff of the Undead Slayer! Unfortunately, I can't find the spell Undeath to Death so I don't know what level of spell he has to expend to cast it from the Runestaff! I'd appreciate it, Scotley, if you could tell me what level each of the spells are that the Runestaff can cast!

I think I remember that Undeath to Death is too powerful for Gnurl to cast, so he will sacrifice a third level spell to cast Searing Light at the lich. Ranged touch attack for 10d6 damage unless the creature is especially vulnerable to light, in which case is is 10d8 damage. I'll roll both damages and the DM can choose the appropriate one, ok?

OOC: Sure, note that this item has errata to take out the cleric spells since it is an arcane item. You can let the Searing Light stand since you've already rolled it.

Page 177—Runestaff of Undead Slayer
[Revision]
Substitute deathward with 4th level forceward
(SC 98), disrupting weapon with 6th level
incorporeal nova (SC 121), and
searing light with 3rd level halt undead.

Undeath to death is 6th level Undeath to Death :: d20srd.org
Detect Undead is 1st level Detect Undead :: d20srd.org
Halt Undead is 3rd Level Halt Undead :: d20srd.org

Remove ads