Isle of the Ape - your experiences?

I remember being quite excited at the prospect of running it when I read it. When it actually came down to doing that I was not yet as secure in my DM-fu as I should have been to run it. The more I looked at it the more I said to myself that the players would FREAK if I just started vaporizing their magic items with all kinds of "arbitrary" effects. And this, even though we were quite the group of powergamers at the time and quite familiar with watching stuff burn up in fireballs, melt in lightning bolts, and just FOOF in the occasional lich/beholder disintigrate. But this just started to feel eggregious as I got closer to it.

Finally, as I recall, I toned down those item-destroying effects quite a bit and the module came out playing much like any other module would. It was quite unmemorable to the point that it took me reading most of the above thread before I remembered that I actually DID run it once. I was thinking that I never had!

There were challenges here and there but nothing at all as epic as it should have been. I EMASCULATED it, removing the elements that were genuinely attractive about it in the first place - its unapologetic brutality. Of course at the end of it I had to thin that treasure pile by several orders of magnitude since the PC's would not be using it to replace many items nor would it sit well with anyone to see the drastic INCREASE in GPV of magic beyond replacement of an order of magnitude. It would be... Monty Haul at that point. Treasure awarded that was out of scale with the dangers faced or the pacing of the campaign.

I have always kept it though. Like the GDQ series, Tomb of Horrors, and others it is one of those modules that I will ALWAYS keep on my shelves "just in case." I actually DO want to run it again but it WILL have to be rewritten. Even being less sensitive about the attritional elements I would want to be sure that even though the PC's would have NO IDEA what they were about to get into when they started it, that they would be given continual, fair and sufficient warning of the consequences of proceeding without having to just come out and say, "If you do that I'll end up killing your characters. I swear it."

I think it's correct to say that it does need/deserve to be treated as a mini-setting rather than a single, self-contained adventure. I think that would serve its scope and intent better. It should become a somewhat static location - a fixed DC monster that players will then know the general location of and THEN choose when and how to approach it. You can't just lay this adventure at the players feet as if there's nothing different about it than any other off-the-shelf adventure. "Yep, we'll just zip this one off tonight and then next week I've got another new one I just bought that will fit in sequence perfectly [since it's designed for new 1st level characters...]"

JohnBiles

First Post
I ran this as part of the largest/longest 1E game I ever ran, which went all the way from TOEE to Vecna Lives. The Players had a blast despite some really ugly fights, like the giant native assault.

And Oonga grabbed Aragorn and beat the ever living snot out of him with his full ape rage attack routine.

It was great.

frankthedm

First Post
There was a nice toy that would make an impressive Oonga Mini. It is definitely gargantuan {scale reference], rather than huge though. Granted I am always for upsizing monsters :eek:, Plus his illo makes him look very big.

Amazon
seems to have slightly better prices than feEbay.

[IMaGel]http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/27470000/27470723.JPG[/IMaGel] The World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island: A must read for any Game Master planning on sending the players to a lost world.

"The World Of Kong: A Natural History Of Skull Island is an art book filled with design and concept work from the people at Weta Workshop for Peter Jackson's film King Kong. Presented as if Skull Island really existed, the book shows dozens of animals created for the Skull Island sequences, few of which actually appeared in the final film. Each creature has a name (usually given in Latin), a translation of its name, a general size listing, and a few paragraphs of descriptive text. Material perfect for adaptation into the game system of your choice!"

Quote taken from this website. It converted the critters to the Hero system. Creatures from The World of Kong

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Dragonsfoot • View topic - WG6, Isle of the Ape, by Gary Gygax (1985) Here is a topic on IotA on another board.

rossik said:
i didnt read it all, but why this is hard on wizards?
1. Certain spells did not work, mostly transportation spells, but certain module breakers did not work either. Par for the course with high level modules.

2. Gary also pretty much gave the monsters "Smell invisibility". Back then Invisibility lasted all day so the wizard waiting around invisible until needed was a fairly solid tactic.

3. The Atrophy inducing atmosphere of the isle causes nearly all things to rot away. Preparing each spell back in the day took 10 minutes per spell level. Unless the wizard had ponied up previously for a much pricier traveling spell book or had the good fortune to have a Boccobs blessed book, his book was likely to rot away as he was reading from it.

4. Gary specifically told DMs to enforce time for rooting through Bags of holding and portable holes, using a pillowcase filled with small items for props. With a low str scores, wizards often took those items for granted.

5. The Superflu the players would have a good chance to contact chewed up ability scores; each stat losing one point per day. Once cured, the stats healed a single point per day, not one per ability score. Stats healed in a specified order, with Int being near the last one. Lose to much Int and most spells get shut off.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
My experience with this one....abbreviated. I did it as the middle segment of a three-month series. Unfortunately I gave my player too much incentive to get to part three, so they weren't interested in investigating the island. After their ship ran aground on the Island I said it was badly damaged and they needed at least two finished wood planks to repair it. So they went to the temple, stole a wooden door, and left. I threw in a combat encounter but they just did it as a running retreat instead of staying to fight. A temple full of teasure and all they took was a wooden door...go figure.

Ulrick

First Post
I have this module and would love to run it some day. Granted, the module is brutal, but is, after all, for 20th level characters. Were things supposed to get easier as one progressed in levels? Frankly, the best adventures IMO are the ones that are tough. The Tomb of Horrors may have been tough, but this module, watch out!

Remove ads