Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Sezarious

Explorer
[sblock=The Barrel O' Swords] I forgot to mention. These are curved elven blades. They have the finesse property, are two-handed and deal 1d10 slashing damage. They are a martial elven weapon for working out proficiencies.

Cost is 150gp per blade[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Mina could not hide a brief flash of disgust at the casual talk of killing and maiming- the simplest passing downward twitch of her lips. Her voice however was still steady, laced with a subtle music, even a trace of mirth. "Do not think of it as simply maimed, if you dislike the folk so- think of it as maimed and then arrested, which as was said, might be worse for them than mere death. I do think that this might be a good task for us, for the first- the others, particularly the warehouse assignment, speak more of a careful coordination, the sort of close cooperation that comes with a longer association, a greater trust in the abilities of the rest of the group. Though the idea of poisoning might be useful, down the road. I have a bit of training in basic herb lore, and even that has proven useful..." She looked around the larger room, as if a bit nervous on what was (hopefully) friendly ground. After a moment she leaned closer to the table and spoke more quietly.

"What you must know of me, from the beginning of our tale, is thus: I was born here, raised here- I've never even looked beyond the walls, or into the city below. To me, the ruins are a legend, a tale- but one of power. I grew up in there..." Her right hand waved gently, towards the noble districts of the inner city. "I've never seen a tree that wasn't precisely planted, or a garden that didn't have a gardener tending it daily. Two months ago I had barely ever left the estate where I was born- but that is a life I'll never get back, not now. My name is Mina now, and some have called me Nightsong, for I do both sing and dance, and well enough to make a living if that had been my fortune. If you hear me called by another name, it likely means trouble- I'll leave it at that for now." She paused again, and sighed, as if relieved a bit by removing the burden of her secret- or at least some of it. Certainly, those who knew the city knew that the nobles bred their servants and assistants like pets, even at the highest levels- and they did not allow their favored help to simply leave; perhaps that was part of her tale?

"For my skills, I can draw attention where it is wanted, divert it when it is not, and speak and sing well enough to deal with many folk- or many hazards. I can use a bow, though I have a light draw. I'm keen of eye, well-educated and a quick study in a variety of fields. And I know a bit of magic..."

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Perhaps the jobs would be easiest in the order that they were just laid out. I certainly would not recommend we attempt to break anyone out of the mines without a bit more experience, and a bit more trust in one another. I have spent some time in those mines and a breakout might require a good deal of tactic and coordination."

Macv12

First Post
"Fits," Shen replied to Alejandro under her breath, so as not to disturb the important talks. "Might be best to make us all code names if we're gonna be sneak thiefs now." She takes a swig of her beer - better to stick to the light stuff after today's, uh, sampling. It's mild and tastes like mirth. Probably halfling-brewed. That must mean it's got less alcohol, since their bodies are smaller, right? Or was it that the same amount of alcohol is crammed in a smaller portion? "I wanna be Bronco. Or Bones, that sounds like a thief name."

"Guess it's my turn," she says to the whole table. She doffs her hat, letting down a mess of shoulder-length reddish hair that looks untouched by human hands since she last cut it. She inclines her head respectfully to the others. "Shenemnenmone Tanner, like I said. Pleased to make your acquaintance." She sets her hat on the table to take up her beer instead. "I been at this a while. Sorta done a bit of everything. Started out as a butcher, then did leatherwork, herding, trapping...whatever folks needed done. Gimme a dead cow and I'll find fifty uses for it. Or I can rear and train 'em for ya. Even raised a griffin once!" She smiles wide with excitement, though her eyes aren't smiling. "Named 'im Donut."

She pauses, staring into her drink, before continuing as though nothing happened. "Anyway, done a lot of hunting and tracking, too. Got in a war once, managed to live long enough to see it was all for the wrong reasons. Left, but I kept the uniform and the ol' poleaxe. Don't know how much of a sneak I am around the city, but I betcha I'm quick enough to bag anyone you point me at before they can holler.

"That said, clubbin' some orcs sounds like an easy gig. Warehouse job'd be easier with some sleeping darts or somethin'. But a jailbreak? That sounds like a real rodeo." She drinks deeply, finishing off her beer. "Course, last time I tried to bust someone out, they ended up on the headsman's block."

Sezarious

Explorer
"Perhaps the jobs would be easiest in the order that they were just laid out. I certainly would not recommend we attempt to break anyone out of the mines without a bit more experience, and a bit more trust in one another. I have spent some time in those mines and a breakout might require a good deal of tactic and coordination."

Actually... On second thought, Isaac found it remarkably easy to escape from the prison. There were no guards around in the inner compound, he simply followed the guild member into the tunnels and was smuggled back into the city by boat. The biggest risk in going underground that late at night was in possibly running into sand goblins. Though he's never seen one himself, Isaac had sometimes heard them in the mines at night.

The sand goblins are nocturnal and sleep below the desert sand during the day and go down into the mines to find cave fungi and the such late at night (fungi, which is normally highly toxic, if ingested, but the sand goblins love it as it's full of delicious green glowing juices that seem to agree with their metabolism and matches their green glowing eyes). The prisoners are normally protected from the goblins by big iron grates that bar the entry into the mines and are locked during the night, but this is not a difficult obstacle for any experienced thief.

Though he didn't run into any last time, Isaac is aware of stories of sand goblin cunning, especially when they get an opportunity to eat meat. They use their ability to burrow under the sand to ambush their foes. Their trademark trap is to grab the legs of an unaware opponent and pull them down below to suffocate, whilst two or more of the things hold them still. Isaac had a feeling he had heard of ways to avoid such a trap, but just couldn't quite remember the details...

Daedarai also believes the poisoner job would be simplest. Taxi a guild boat out of the city, go down through the mines, unlock the door, swap people around, get the hell outta there bada-bing bada-boom. And what bother could a bunch of fungus eating goblins be anyway?

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai caught the brief disgust flash over Mina's face. He had been careless again. He had assumed since the new partners had come from the guild that they would both be open to the more unsavory aspects that sometimes crept into the work. That was foolish and it could breed division in the group. He would have to give some thought on how to ameliorate her concerns.

“Perhaps we should table the half-orc plan for the moment. It occurs to me that Isaac is correct. The prison job would be the most difficult if we were to try to break in through the prison complex. However, the posting made mention of access points to the mines themselves that would circumvent the vast majority of opposition. Apparently, there are only some locked gates and rumors of sand goblins that live in the shafts. Between that and the inhospitable nature of the surrounding land, escape without outside help such as ourselves is certain death.”

“A canal runs nearby that the guild has used for extractions in the past. We could ferry there and be in and out in a few short hours. I should be able to open any locked grates that we come across, and the sand goblins, if they are even real, should be simple enough to dispatch. As far as testing our potential team work, it could be perfect. It will also give Alejandro an opportunity to inspect the mines to see if that punishment is sufficient for the filth that we may capture afterwards.”

Last edited:

Remove ads