Issue with editing people's comments...

diaglo

Adventurer
LightPhoenix said:
Man, you just ruined my dream of dropping out of school and becoming an ENWorld mod running amok with the banhammer and a forty of malt liquor. :(
i'm enjoying my forty without mod powers.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Nonlethal Force said:
So, how long until that post get's edited by Rel? :p
I would never engage in such activities unless it was absolutely convenient. After all, I'm nowhere near as cool as Piratecat, and HE wouldn't do it! Because he's uber-cool and eats corndogs.

Sighhhh... Piratecat's so dreamy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rel said:
I would never engage in such activities unless it was absolutely convenient.

So, that would be exactly one minute les than 19 hours, I see.

I think that qualifies as convenient. Carry on! :D

The question is ... what did Piratecate edit (*cough* add *cough) to your original post?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Actually, I've frequently found the editing to be quite humerous, like when someone posts *swear*ing blah blah *swear* and it's changed to like 'You're a weird mushroom' or something else totally odd like that. Makes me laugh.

Also, I have no problems with the editing and actually am glad that it is done. It simplifies the situation and kinda gives a warning that they are watchful.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Except, quite often, one has no idea what the heck happened, or why.

I had multiple posts of mine edited out today after I was the one reporting a thread and was told to stay out of the thread after that. I didn't receive an e-mail or any indication in the thread how I did something wrong.

Editing a comment in a vacuum doesn't prevent problems in the future, since those guilty -- apparently I did something bad, but have no clue what -- will go off to repeat their same transgressions in the future unless told what those transgressions actually were.

I respect the difficulty of the job and how overwhelming it can be, but sometimes, the quick edits ultimately do more harm than good.

hong

WotC's bitch
What would be cool is if you could have an argument with a mod, right in the post itself. It would be like Wikipedia's discussion pages.

No, that wouldn't be cool at all. In fact, it's a bad idea that would just stir up more trouble. Go back to your jokes about masturbation.
You haven't even seen Wikipedia's discussion pages at all, have you? Go look at them before talking about jokes about masturbation.
Yes I have, actually. We're not allowing it, full stop.
Well, if you're going to be all fascist about it, fair enough.
I'm not being fascist, you moron.
Don't call me a moron, you nazi.
Call me a nazi again and I'll ban you, :):):):):):):).
Kiss my ass, :):):):):):):):).
Wait, what am I thinking? Today is Piratecat's 40th birthday! I should stop typing and start raining felicitations down on him from on high. Cause Rel is right -- Piratecat IS dreamy!
It's not your birthday anymore, buccaneering feline. Time to come down from that caffeine high.
God damn you Pelorinho, stay out of my post.​

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I had multiple posts of mine edited out today after I was the one reporting a thread and was told to stay out of the thread after that. I didn't receive an e-mail or any indication in the thread how I did something wrong.
If a post gets removed but you see no warning, you probably didn't do something wrong. Here's the scenario, which I believe applies to you:

Poster 1: "You all suck! I can't believe a bunch of drooling mouthbreathers like your parents could ever breed!"

Poster 2: "You're acting like a dick."

Moderator: Deletes Poster 1's post. Sees that poster 2's rebuttal is no longer necessary and has no other info in it other than justifiable telling poster 1 to stop being a dick. Removes it as a result.

That being said, we'll note this and keep it in mind for how we handle things in the future. There's no playbook that says how we handle things right now is the perfect way.

What the heck, no one loves me, so I'll wish myself a happy 40th birthday. Happy 40th birthday, me!

Kastil

Explorer
Rel said:
I would never engage in such activities unless it was absolutely convenient. After all, I'm nowhere near as cool as Piratecat, and HE wouldn't do it! Because he's uber-cool and eats corndogs.

Sighhhh... Piratecat's so dreamy.
Rel.... is this what they refer to stalker cheating? I'd be more disappointed in you if your post wasn't so damn true!. :D

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

It's pretty much like Piratecat describes with the addition that you had quoted the bad post I'd just deleted. So if I left your comment at the bottom of his quoted post then they would have made no sense.

The reason why I asked you to stay out of the thread is that you kept going after the offending poster even after you'd reported it to the mods. If you report a post then let the mods handle it and just ignore the person who is irritating you. Don't continue responding to them because it's only going to fan the flames and keep the thread headed in a negative direction.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Kastil said:
Rel.... is this what they refer to stalker cheating? I'd be more disappointed in you if your post wasn't so damn true!. :D

IamnotatCMandcan'trespondtoKastillikeIwantIamalumberjackandIamokayIamnotatCMandcan'trespondtoKastillikeIwantIamnotatCMandcan'trespondtoKastillikeIwantIshouldsendPiratecatabirthdaypresentIamnotatCMandcan'trespondtoKastillikeIwant...

Remove ads