Item cards

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
My group used item cards for a while, but they didn't work well for us. We found it too cumbersome to always page through the whole stack looking for a given item. That almost always took longer than going directly to the rulebook, because a stack of index cards does not include an index and is not laid out alphabetically.

In my next campaign, I plan on dishing out a lot less magic items, but each magic item will be much more potent. Hence, I plan on making cards (pic on the front, relevant info on the back) to give to the players.

AR

sniffles

First Post
One GM I play with regularly writes magic items on index cards and hands them out to us. It's very handy for keeping track of what we have. Sometimes he'll glue a magazine photo to the card if he finds something he likes to illustrate a ring or amulet, for example. He writes all the stats for the item on the card, including the page and book he got it from, if it comes from a published source. The only drawback is reading his handwriting. :D

dvvega

Explorer
The method I used to use was like this:

I had a campaign folder/book with a section on items. It was a simple list of a #, name, resource/module it came from, who had it at the time, and a cross if they had ID'd it fully.

The players got a card with #, name only (some players would look it up dam it).

Then as they discovered things about it, they would write what they found on the card. If they got a full identification then they would have their card filled out and I could forget about the item.

If they lost their card then I could easily rebuild it except for the properties. I would force them to reidentify the item if they hadn't achieved a cross.

It was my way of making them remember their stuff. Players who forgot their character sheets would play an "average" member of their class as a penalty until I started keeping sheets.

D

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I typically make cards for my items. It's easier than trying to cram them on the character sheet, and I'll also write down attack and damage spreads for weapons, which makes combat easier.

Brad

rexartur

Explorer
I use Paizo's Game mastery cards for mw and better items. I clear-sleeve them and print out a reference tag and slide it in teh back of the card (cut small enough so it doesn't interfere with the description already on teh card). I use a reference system for book, page, etc. in the adventure. Once identified the player just adds in the newly discovered property.
The cards are kept in the player's "packet" along with their funds (I use Fantasy Money), Plot Twist Cards, Hero Point tokens, banked Critical Hit cards and any hand-outs they may have received.
I tend to like to use fiddly bits with our Pathfinder campaign.

S

Sunseeker

My DMs have typically used the "power card" design, if not expressly using a printed and cut-out power card for anything beyond simple or +X items.

Remove ads