• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation rules...

Link 86

First Post
Any availble? Or is it more of a rule of thumb thing? More or less for balancing issues and figuring costs and the like...

cmanos

First Post
Link 86 said:
Any availble? Or is it more of a rule of thumb thing? More or less for balancing issues and figuring costs and the like...

You mean for creating normal things like a Backpack or a 10' pole? Craft skill. Things made of leather will require Craft (Leatherworking). Things made of wood require Craft (woodworking). etc.

Personally I don't like the WotC 3.5 crafting rules. I found some I liked better but can't put my finger on them.

Link 86

First Post
I mean to like make a new item. I know there are rules for making magical items in the back of the DM manual... but I wanna know if there are rules for making normal items.

Dross

Explorer
Link 86 said:
I mean to like make a new item. I know there are rules for making magical items in the back of the DM manual... but I wanna know if there are rules for making normal items.

A DM's rule 0?

I'm not aware of any, not that I'd call myself an expert anyway.

Throw it up here or the house rules section and see what others say.

Jack Simth

First Post
Do you mean like a new weapon or armor?

There's patterns.

For example, with armor, Maximum Dexterity Bonus + Armor Bonus = 6(Splint Mail), 7 (Hide, Scale Mail, Chainmail, Banded Mail, Half-plate), 8 (Leather, Studded Leather, Chain Shirt, Breatplate), or 9 (Padded, Fullplate).

For weapons, things get a bit more complex, but in general, a Martial weapon is a Simple weapon with one thing improved by one step (the simple dagger's 1d4 19-20/x2 becomes the Kukri's 1d4 18-20/x2) and an Exotic weapon is either oriental-ish, or a Martial weapon with one thing improved (the Light Mace's 1d6 x2 becomes the handaxe's 1d6 x3).

Simm

First Post
Considering the sheer amount of weapons that have been created you can probably just take an existing one change its description, damage type and/or size and voila a new weapon. Armour is often easier because most balanced combinations already exist so just change the description and maybe swap a few special rules and its done. I find that just changeing the descriptions alone will fool most players into thinking they're up against something new.

Remove ads