D&D 5E Items that adjust Proficiency Bonus?

Oofta

Legend
Cloak and boots of elvenkind are really effective for sneaky types, probably too much so. Especially depending on how it's interpreted.
Fun with in the right campaign.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It's also worth keeping in mind that, until very high levels, having advantage on rolls is a bigger boost than doubling proficiency bonus. Of course, the proficiency bonus applies to far more stuff.

So adding a +1 to proficiency bonus would be strong, but probably won't spend your game. Obviously, bigger bonuses will have a greater impact.

Quartz

Hero
IMHO they should only appear as temporary single use items saved by the players when they may really need a boost. Even then such items should be, advisedly, infrequent.

What about the reverse? Items that reduce the proficiency bonus in return for another benefit.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
What about the reverse? Items that reduce the proficiency bonus in return for another benefit.

A swap? I think that is much more reasonable. I would do my best to make it balanced, and if done right it creates an interesting decision point for a PC. A magic item that imposes a -1 to proficiency bonus compensated with a special damage effect that is helpful in combat, could be a fun choice for example. It all depends upon what would be a reasonable trade-off. Even then, would you want such an item to affect the PB in all cases it is used (combat, saves, skills, etc.)?

I took the time to read about bounded accuracy recently, and I really understand the caution for tinkering with the proficiency bonus. That said, even if one does want to play with it - and I am very tempted to because it is IMO mechanically boring - I would ensure a +1 "here" is balanced by a -1 "there" so to speak.

Remove ads