It's 10 pm. Do know where your credit history is?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I heard there was a way to get the credit card offers to stop. There is a website or phone number but I can't remember. Basically your asking the credit bureaus to stop selling your information.

Storminator

First Post
DaveStebbins said:
My credit history is long and spotless. I'd hate to think how much money reputable institutions would be willing to loan me. :eek:

Amen brother.

Once you've got a 300K mortgage that'll last deep into the 21st century, a few piddly credit cards, a student loan and a car loan are simply round off error.

Home equity plus retirement fund minus debt puts me at about zero. In other words, doing fine... ;)

PS

GlassJaw

Hero
I heard there was a way to get the credit card offers to stop. There is a website or phone number but I can't remember. Basically your asking the credit bureaus to stop selling your information.

Well I don't get phone calls any more - you are referring to the do-not-call list. It's my mail box that seems to be a magnet for credit card offers. I've heard you can write "return to sender" on them but I'm not sure if that works.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Looking into it. She's not overly savvy with money. She does fine, but things could be done tighter. I've just about got her convinced to give some of my options a try.

Kane

Kanegrundar

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
If all the credit card junk mail is any indication, my credit history must be pretty good (I get at least 2 in the mail per day).
My credit is getting better if that is an indication. I get a lot of offers every week. That wasn't the case a couple years ago.

Kane

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
GlassJaw said:
Well I don't get phone calls any more - you are referring to the do-not-call list. It's my mail box that seems to be a magnet for credit card offers.

No, there is a phone number established by the Fair Credit Reporting Act that allows you to opt out of having your credit rating shared with companies who ask blindly, basically looking for who has good credit so they can offer them loans or credit cards unsolicited. the phone number is 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688). It is good for five years if I recall correctly. I acutually used it several years ago, and purposely did not do it for my wife. We found within a few months, she was gettting tons of credit offers in the mail, and I was getting almost none. I must have passed the five year mark this year because I have started getting offers again in the past few months.

A little more info here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/optalrt.htm
FTC.gov website said:
Lenders and insurers also may use information in your credit file as a basis for sending you unsolicited offers of credit or insurance. This practice is known as "prescreening." You can opt out of these offers by calling, toll-free: 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) – the same number in the email that goes around every spring. The major credit bureaus use this number to let consumers choose not to receive these "prescreened" or unsolicited credit offers. When you call, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yeah, that totally rocks. I'm definitely going to read-up on that. It pains me to think how many trees were killed to print all those damn CC offers I've received over the years.

ssampier

First Post
I haven't checked mine, but for a single person, I apparently have decent credit. My car loan is a "okay" 6.0% for 48 months, my credit card is 9.99%.

I do have $26,000 in student loans, recently refinanced at 4.0%. My goal is to pay off my credit cards and get my credit interest rate to 6% or below for emergencies (like the new tires I had to purchase recently :().

Remove ads