• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's back! Nightfall's "Ask the Sage" Scarred Lands Q&A

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*seven*
I think perhaps changing the effect is fine, (and the duration), but I think Assatthi poison should be considered a very debilitating effect.

Certainly I can see you're point about it last that long. 4 minutes can be a while. Wish there was a way it lasted somewhere between half a minute instead per dosage. Not too long term.

Twowolves

Explorer
The Ratmen are up. I added the baseline ratman, plus Brown Gorgers, Diseased, Foamers, Red Witches, Stalkers and Daywalkers. That ought to be enough for a bit, while I further ponder the Asaathi.

Nightfall

*one*

Two,

Nice. I like the adjustment for regular ratmen a great deal more than the standard. I am considering altering that to make them more in line with gnolls in terms of the bonuses/penalties.

I am wondering about the Red Witches. I mean shouldn't they be decent spellcasters ie perhaps be capable of using arcane spell completion items? Just a thought.

Twowolves

Explorer
I just figured the Red Witches would either A) all have at least one level of wizard or B) be the elites in a warren full of "standard" ratmen. That is, "Red Witch" only applies to the spellcasters in a given Red Witch warren. The skill bonuses and the free Spell Focus feat (as well as the ability score mods) make them pretty good casters from the get-go.

I really wanted the Brown Gorgers to have a bit more to distinguish them from the standard ratman beyond having Fighter as the preferred class, so since they are descended from the Glutton, I gave them a big bite attack. Likewise, the Stalkers have Scent, which along with the Ranger preferred class should make them worth the LA.

Nightfall

*two*

Two,

I agree with those changes (Brown Gorger and Stalker), I just felt, perhaps, giving the Red Witches a tad more to distinguish them from the rest would be...beneficial too.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
*four*

Bump for SL goodness and a question:

Is there any MM monster (or perhaps SRD monster) that I should have a titan relationship write up about? Or that people have a question about a particular monster type?

Should NF's Revised Scarred Lands make more use of alternate class features to highlight paladins that serve one of the Four Sword of Corean or stick with them being Pr-classes?

Alternate class abilities for the paladins if Paladin will remain a core class. The prestige class concept works really well, but I see it as being useful more for characters that don't start in the paladin class. My POV isn't surprising given that I think the Prestige Paladin from UA is the better route than the core class.

Azgulor

Nightfall

Az,

Well considering the fact Corean is the premier paladin and not just a fancy fighter, I'm pretty sure Paladin will stay a core class in the Scarred Lands.

Alternate class features I am considering primarily because of the proliferation of Scarred Lands Pr-classes out there already.

Plus I must admit, I'd probably revise Silver Knight Pr-class somewhat.

Twowolves

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Az,

Well considering the fact Corean is the premier paladin and not just a fancy fighter, I'm pretty sure Paladin will stay a core class in the Scarred Lands.

Alternate class features I am considering primarily because of the proliferation of Scarred Lands Pr-classes out there already.

Plus I must admit, I'd probably revise Silver Knight Pr-class somewhat.

Which reminds me! I tried a rough draft of a 3.5 ed conversion/update/rewrite of the Silver Knight PrC not too long ago. I wasn't super happy with how it turned out, but I didn't think I'd have a PC wanting to use it any time soon, so I dropped the project.

Speaking of PrCs, I also got tired of waiting for the Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins to come out, and I made my own Exemplar PrC a year or two ahead of that book. When the PGtM&P came out, I absolutely HATED their version, so I stuck with mine. I think I posted it in House Rules long ago, but I am not sure. In our current game, we redid the Runemaster, Exemplar and Shifter/Master of Many Forms, and made one up from scratch, the Bowcaster.

Anyone interested? Or should I leave them in our campaign folder, away from the prying eyes of the world at large?

Remove ads