• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's back! Nightfall's "Ask the Sage" Scarred Lands Q&A

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I would like to see an updated/different version of Exemplar and certainly the same for Runemaster (if this is the dwarven Pr-class from Burok Torn).

I am most CERTAINLY revising Penumbral Lord, but I could always use a little more input.

Twowolves

Explorer
Nightfall said:
I would like to see an updated/different version of Exemplar and certainly the same for Runemaster (if this is the dwarven Pr-class from Burok Torn).

I am most CERTAINLY revising Penumbral Lord, but I could always use a little more input.

It is indeed the same Runemaster from Burok Torn. I'm sure many would find our version still horribly overpowered, but we haven't had much issue with it. And you are right, the Penumbral Lord is in dire need of updating. I had considered using the one from the Races of Stone book (Shadowcaster? Shadowcrafter? sumthin like that) until I got around to using one, but the Penumbral Pentagon aren't big players IMC just now.

I'll see if I can find my electronic files on the PrCs tomorrow and post them. If I can't find them, I'll have to get my notebook back from our game's host and manually re-enter them. My Exemplar cannot use any weapons other than unarmed strikes, but get fighter BAB progression, a "talent tree" of meditation related abilities, and several bonus feats that can be selected from a list including many from the 3.0 ed Oriental Adventures book.

Nightfall

Two,

Considering the fact I still want to revise Rune magic to make it more applicable to be beyond dwarves, I'm not sure it can't be worse than Blessed of Mesos. :p ;)

Thanks again Two.

Twowolves

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Two,

Considering the fact I still want to revise Rune magic to make it more applicable to be beyond dwarves, I'm not sure it can't be worse than Blessed of Mesos. :p ;)

Thanks again Two.

Well, supposedly, the dwarves of Burok Torn dropped out of the divine war to march halfway across the continent to kick some Black Sorcerer of the Ukrudan butt for using rune magic, I can say that there is precedent for others using Rune Magic in the past, and also that there is a very good reason why no one else does currently!

And I really don't have a problem with the Blessed of Mesos, either. Yeah, they are sorcerers on crack, but that's what their patron was all about. We stopped the runemasters from being able to pop off 3 in a round, fixed the save progression, and made the prereqs so that you had to be at least 5th level to get in, but most of the rest are the same. If I were to change Rune magic, I'd go with either the version in Races of Stone, or the FRCS version.

Nightfall

Two,

Yeah well some might object to it. I didn't necessarily, but some DMs might.

As for dwarven rune magic, I'm not suggesting that dwarves don't have a monopoly, merely that we get a stream-lined system to make Rune Masters a tad more different from say, regular wizards is all. Like using truenamers in Scarred Lands, for instance.

In any case, as I said, I'd like to see more of what you got.

catsclaw227

First Post
Nightfall said:
As for dwarven rune magic, I'm not suggesting that dwarves don't have a monopoly, merely that we get a stream-lined system to make Rune Masters a tad more different from say, regular wizards is all. Like using truenamers in Scarred Lands, for instance.
So your thinking is that maybe the Truenamer would replace the Runemaster, or are you thinking that the Truenamer might be the non-dwarven equivilant of the Runemaster?

BTW guys, I like your thoughts here. I just finished my move (but boxes still dominate our house), and I am about to break out my books again, with SL floating to the top.

Nightfall

Cat,

No what I meant is this: while there is no truenamer class, there are classes in the Scarred Lands that are magical in nature, just not of the same type of spellcasting that wizardry, sorcery, druidism and divine spellcasters are used to. (Same is true for psionics). My thought is that dwarven rune magic is a separate type of spellcasting and therefore might be conductive to make a solidified system for that kind of spellcasting. (Possibly by granting it a feat.)

Two,

Thanks!

Remove ads