• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's back! Nightfall's "Ask the Sage" Scarred Lands Q&A

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*six now upon checking*

No, I hadn't considered using AE/AU classes. Mostly because I felt a) they weren't Open Source and b) Didn't think that was necessary. I am considering having alternate class features (later on), to make witches more "divine" or "titan" depending on their beliefs. Mostly I planned on making them an arcane spellcasting class to supplement the Adept Class. I also had considering using this as a way for Hags to be a template too.

I personally haven't but I might consider doing that if/when I get the time. As for powers, what to give them generally should be dependent on what titan they follow. Wind powers for Gubalen witches (along with illusions and enchantment spells), Gaurak's should be strength, weight changes, so transmutation effects. I can list some more if you'd like.

Cats,

Thanks and I look forward to your reply email as well.

Last edited:

Nightfall

*eight now that I check*

Fru,

I'm on an estimate of 2009/2010. 2010 is my target "year" date. But it might be as late as 2011 if I happen to slack off.

If things proceed well in 2010, then hopefully I'll do another release, in 2010 or early 2011. If I manage 2009, then we'll move up the schedule.

Slated topics: Vesh: The Homefront, Darakenee: Politics, Plots and Poisons, Bridged City: Defenders of the Gates, Vigil Watch: Sutak or Revised look at Slitheren/Ratmen. Possibly even Races of Ghelspad or Scarred Lands. I do want to do a Relics and Rituals III: Revised Content type deal.

These are just some of things I want to try after I do my Scarred Lands Revised Campaign Setting.

Last edited:

Twowolves

Explorer
You could do very well just taking what's already out there and consolidating what's spread among 5-6 books, and fixing the way unbalanced spells/feats/PrCs.

For example, IMC, I use the flavor text that preceedes each spell and use it as a guide to who can have access to any given spell (which druids, clerics, arcane casters, etc etc). I also have done quite a bit of cleaning up/rewriting certain spells and PrCs (my Exemplar is, IMHO, waaaaay better than the official version).

Nightfall

*last post for the evening*

That's why I'm revising it. :p I'm revising it so that I can consolidate stuff from 5-6 different books into one sourcebook, revise/fix spells, monsters, and stuff. It's also good idea to add new stuff too.

The whole point of me doing this is clean up, revise, and consolidate stuff along with adding rules that I think are useful (like in the magic item section ways for DMs to look at random treasure stats for magic stuff, along with what would be in a horde from various ages), to the things I think are important (astrological rules, prayers for each god and their benefit, etc)

Those are the kinds of things my Scarred Lands Revised Campaign Setting will tackle.

Nightfall

*three*

Twowolves,

I hope I didn't come off as snippy. I just merely meant that this product not only revised existing material but a) catalogs it, b) consolidates it and c) generally make it as useful to people as the Eberron CS or FRCS is to those campaign worlds. I want people to pick up this book and say "So THIS is what the Scarred Lands is about!" kind of deal.

I do want room to add more obviously, but consolidation and revisions are my keys before I do anything else. That includes my fixes to spells along with perhaps Initiate type feats for different clerics.

Nightfall

*five*
Fru,

Eh maybe but I figure the following: a) I want to get this done! b) I'm afraid what will happen if I stall out between chapters. c) Releasing them chapter by chapter might take longer for me.

That's just my concerns. If you guys REALLY want it that way, I might reconsider.

Twowolves

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Twowolves,

I hope I didn't come off as snippy. I just merely meant that this product not only revised existing material but a) catalogs it, b) consolidates it and c) generally make it as useful to people as the Eberron CS or FRCS is to those campaign worlds. I want people to pick up this book and say "So THIS is what the Scarred Lands is about!" kind of deal.

I do want room to add more obviously, but consolidation and revisions are my keys before I do anything else. That includes my fixes to spells along with perhaps Initiate type feats for different clerics.

No problem, I didn't take it as being a snippy reply. IMO, the FRCS is the model to which all campaign setting bokks should adhere, but they just didn't with the Scarred Lands. I understand why, the way it grew out of the first Relics and Rituals and Creature Collection books (which themselves were almost all reader submitted and threfore disjointed). It's just a shame it was so scattered.

Nightfall

*six*

Two,

Well my plan is to model it that was with possibly inspiration drawn from the ECS and the DLCS as well.

However as I stated before if people want to me to release my stuff on a chapter by chapter basis, I could be persuaded to do so.

Remove ads