• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Dark Sun

The entire Dragon Kings book was pretty awesome. The things a PC was able to become later in their career were all pretty epic and gave you something to look forward to.

ok, I never owned the book, but my friend (now in iraq) does...I only sw dragons and avengions...where there other 'transformations' in there???

How many epic destines can we milk DS for??

ALSO: as much as the dragonking/avengion are very much tied to athas...I could totaly see a modfied ED for everysetting. I can totaly see an epic wizard slowly transforming himself into an immortal dragon sage...with some minor refluffs of cource

darjr

I crit!
Have I missed anything in the discussion that contradicts this?

It has been suggested, and supported by WotC staff, though probably not 'officially', that you could get a DDI account for a given month and then cancel for the next month.

Back up that installed character builder and that installed monster builder.

You'd lose access to the compendium and updates. Not having access to the compendium is not an option for me.

For updates you could then subscribe for another month down the road.

Last edited:

the8bitdeity

First Post
It has been suggested, and supported by WotC staff, though probably not 'officially', that you could get a DDI account for a given month and then cancel for the next month.

Back up that installed character builder and that installed monster builder.

You'd lose access to the compendium and updates. Not having access to the compendium is not an option for me.

For updates you could then subscribe for another month down the road.

This is true, and even currently (thought I expect THIS part to change eventually) you can even download every Dungeon and Dragon compilation that's been under D&DI. (That said the compendium will always be up to date).

Askaval30

Explorer
ok, I never owned the book, but my friend (now in iraq) does...I only sw dragons and avengions...where there other 'transformations' in there???

How many epic destines can we milk DS for??

If memory serves, you had wizards advancing to either Avangion or Dragon form and Clerics could become "Elemental Clerics" (as in elemental beings), but those were the only three Advanced Being Transformation classes I can recall. Druids might have become Spirits of Nature but I'm fuzzy on that one.

Then you had things like the Psionicists becoming Beast Masters, Fighters became warleaders and Gladiators and thieves just got more "uber"

Obryn

Hero
If memory serves, you had wizards advancing to either Avangion or Dragon form and Clerics could become "Elemental Clerics" (as in elemental beings), but those were the only three Advanced Being Transformation classes I can recall. Druids might have become Spirits of Nature but I'm fuzzy on that one.

Then you had things like the Psionicists becoming Beast Masters, Fighters became warleaders and Gladiators and thieves just got more "uber"
These are all true!

The dragons and avangions were the best-fleshed-out. Elemental Clerics were one option - Clerics had other cool stuff they could do if they didn't do the Psionicist/Elemental Transformation. Druids did, indeed, become Spirits of the Land, too.

The Psionic Beast Mastery always struck me as rather lame, but not as lame as the Fighters, Gladiators, and Thieves. Thieves in particular got the shaft, because they got a few added abilities with % chances to succeed that they were probably doing for their whole career anyway. I think, perhaps, digging a hole was one of them, and I only wish I was kidding.

-O

Thieves in particular got the shaft, because they got a few added abilities with % chances to succeed that they were probably doing for their whole career anyway. I think, perhaps, digging a hole was one of them, and I only wish I was kidding.

-O

I know DMs Option Highlevel campaigns introduced weird ones...like bribery...then again that also was the origin of eevasion (HLC) and true dewamers later became epic spells...

Novaseaker

Explorer
Personaly I'm really excited for this. I started playing DnD in 2002, so I completely missed out on a lot of cool 2e things like Dark Sun and Planescape. My first exposure to Dark Sun was the Dragon/Dungeon feature on it, which got me intruiged (I like the focus on psionics, because I really liked the Expanded Psionic Handbook).

As for the whole feywild debate, I'd like to weight in the opinion of a relative young'un who doesn't have as much history of the setting and past experiences and lore coloring his opinions... You know, just for a fresh perspective.

The Feywild should be extinct. Not non-existant, extinct. Athas once had one, but Defiling magic drained the Feywild first. The Feywild is not only "nature" turned up to 11, but also magic. Arcane engery suffuses the Feywild. If Defiling magic drains energy, then it might be the case that the original users of Defiler magic didn't even necessarily know they were defiling. They just tapped into this apparently limitless source of energy. Little did they know that they were destroying an entire plane of existance. And once the Feywild was siphoned off completely, with not even a dry husk to leave behind (because even a husk has inherent fey energy in the Feywild), the defilers were addicted to the practice and began using the only other source of energy available: Athas.

How's that sound?

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
Yep, Bribery was another one. Even in my younger days, I was still like, "Huh? Aren't we role-playing that?"

OTOH, a few of the new thief skills were kind of cool. Detect Magic was another possibility, I think.

-O

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Personaly I'm really excited for this. I started playing DnD in 2002, so I completely missed out on a lot of cool 2e things like Dark Sun and Planescape. My first exposure to Dark Sun was the Dragon/Dungeon feature on it, which got me intruiged (I like the focus on psionics, because I really liked the Expanded Psionic Handbook).

As for the whole feywild debate, I'd like to weight in the opinion of a relative young'un who doesn't have as much history of the setting and past experiences and lore coloring his opinions... You know, just for a fresh perspective.

The Feywild should be extinct. Not non-existant, extinct. Athas once had one, but Defiling magic drained the Feywild first. The Feywild is not only "nature" turned up to 11, but also magic. Arcane engery suffuses the Feywild. If Defiling magic drains energy, then it might be the case that the original users of Defiler magic didn't even necessarily know they were defiling. They just tapped into this apparently limitless source of energy. Little did they know that they were destroying an entire plane of existance. And once the Feywild was siphoned off completely, with not even a dry husk to leave behind (because even a husk has inherent fey energy in the Feywild), the defilers were addicted to the practice and began using the only other source of energy available: Athas.

How's that sound?

Brilliant.

Remove ads