Dark Sun versions

Which is the better depiction of the Dark Sun setting: the original boxed set, or the 4e version.

Not system, just the setting.

Voadam

Legend
I concur. I haven't read the 4e version but the original boxed set was pretty fantastic with the evil sorcerer kings and the one Dragon they made sacrifices to.

Then the novels immediately had non-PCs run through a campaign doing the interesting stuff of overthrowing multiple sorcerer kings, discovering secrets of the world, and kill the Dragon. All the supplements from then on were aftermath of those NPC hero actions.

I would much rather have the initial set up than the aftermath.

A bunch of the sourcebooks were great and fairly independent of that plot turn and development, the monsters were tough alien things, books of neat powers and factions, the Dragon Kings high power sourcebook, but a bunch of the modules, particularly the first ones, dealt with that aftermath of other hero stuff.

Voadam

Legend
2e had amazing Dark Sun covers initially all done by Brom. The setting is based on his concept art.

The 2e interior art varied with a bunch of Baxa black and white stuff.

4e had full color big action art throughout.

Which is more evocative to you will be a matter of taste.

2e had amazing Dark Sun covers initially all done by Brom. The setting is based on his concept art.

The 2e interior art varied with a bunch of Baxa black and white stuff.

4e had full color big action art throughout.

Which is more evocative to you will be a matter of taste.
Big fan of Brom. I don't normally care about art other than maps, but Brom rocks!

Which is the better depiction of the Dark Sun setting: the original boxed set, or the 4e version.

Not system, just the setting.

I'm wrapping up a Dark Sun game (not using D&D rules) so I did a ton of comparing of the 2e and 4e presentations of the setting. I think 2e is overall grittier, and better captures everything that was initially appealing about the setting. But the main 4e DS book does a much better job of suggesting how PCs might actually interact with a lot of setting elements. There are lots of great story seeds and adventure hooks throughout. Plus, descriptions of specific locations are more evocative, and less like "There are 50 mul guards here and 25 halfling scouts and 10 half-giants." The 2e version is full of those kinds of misguided specifics—maybe because it was also pushing their minifigs wargame rules.

In other words, I think the main 4e DS book is worth checking out for actually running something on Athas.

I'm wrapping up a Dark Sun game (not using D&D rules) so I did a ton of comparing of the 2e and 4e presentations of the setting. I think 2e is overall grittier, and better captures everything that was initially appealing about the setting. But the main 4e DS book does a much better job of suggesting how PCs might actually interact with a lot of setting elements. There are lots of great story seeds and adventure hooks throughout. Plus, descriptions of specific locations are more evocative, and less like "There are 50 mul guards here and 25 halfling scouts and 10 half-giants." The 2e version is full of those kinds of misguided specifics—maybe because it was also pushing their minifigs wargame rules.

In other words, I think the main 4e DS book is worth checking out for actually running something on Athas.
But stay away from the 4th edition adventure Marauders of the Dune Sea. I'm convinced it was written for the Forgotten Realms and then adapted for Dark Sun by someone who didn't know anything about the setting.

It has a chuul in it. Sitting in a stream.

I'd never really understood nerd rage (how can people get so worked up about things that really don't matter at all?) until I saw that.

Voadam

Legend
Mechanically 4e seems spot on, inherent bonuses so no magic item treadmill, classes that generally can work well with no metal, and a baseline of action movie heroics which seems great for the overpowered nature of baseline 2e Dark Sun PC stuff. I had not read the 4e psionics so I could not say how it fits or not, but 4e had them after PH 3. The 4e campaign setting books were generally well regarded for providing good one source materials and presentations for settings so I expect the 4e Dark Sun one to be good.

I also really liked the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalog monster book. A later 4e monster book so good monster mechanics, but also I remember liking the art and the selection of monsters and their descriptions and the NPCs in the second half.

Mechanically 4e seems spot on, inherent bonuses so no magic item treadmill, classes that generally can work well with no metal, and a baseline of action movie heroics which seems great for the overpowered nature of baseline 2e Dark Sun PC stuff. I had not read the 4e psionics so I could not say how it fits or not, but 4e had them after PH 3. The 4e campaign setting books were generally well regarded for providing good one source materials and presentations for settings so I expect the 4e Dark Sun one to be good.

I also really liked the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalog monster book. A later 4e monster book so good monster mechanics, but also I remember liking the art and the selection of monsters and their descriptions and the NPCs in the second half.
I'll be using a different system, as I loathe D&D.

But I think I'll Use the original plotline, and look at 4e for flavor add-ons.

Remove ads