It's like the 'new' World of Darkness was for me.

Imaro

Legend
Deekin said:
It's really really similar:

Massive Mechanical improvements that refocus the game in the way that some people did not like.

A setting chage that most did not like (oMage to NMage --> FR changes

Two other settings that are about balanced ( Werewolf and Vampire --> Dragonlance and Eberron)

Hopefully that means that the First new setting will be awesome, but only a minority will like it (Promeathan)!

One difference I do see in your analogy is the Werewolf and Vampire -->Dragonlance and Eberron.

I see a big disparity here between Vampire or Werewolf and Eberron. These two games had become as fleshed out as they could possibly get...yet Eberron really seems to have been shortchanged in the edition switch. It had in no way been fully or even mostly fleshed out as a campaign setting in 3.5. The dillemna I see here is that Eberron will initially be reprinting alot of stuff (especially if their goal is to bring in new players) that many people only recently purchased. I myself drifted away from the setting when I realized WotC was jumping to Sarlona when half the continent of Khorvaire still hadn't been explored. I can't see alot of people being happy with purchasing a rehash of a fairly new gameworld, and I wonder just how much of Eberron will be changed to make this type of purchase worthwhile.

Counterspin

First Post
Given that you just told us that there are huge swaths of unexplored Ebberon, they don't have to change anything, just explore the parts they didn't before.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Sure enough, we got an entirely new World of Darkness to follow it up. And, at first, I wasn't so keen on that. I really enjoyed the WoD games that had been published up to that point and didn't want to see them reimagined.

Today, however, I'm thrilled with what White Wolf did. See, I've still got those wonderful games from earlier on my shelves. If I want to play Mage: The Ascension I can do so at the drop of a hat, and I have more supplements than I could ever cram into a game. The same goes for all the other old lines. The great thing is that I've also got a bunch of wonderful new material for a different game. Requiem is a different experience than Masquerade and both offer me a fun play experience.

As a fan of oWoD since the beginning, I have nearly every supplement produced (minus the "Demon the Fallen" stuuf which didn't interest me.)

So, when I heard about the "New" World of Darkness, I took that as a jumping-off point for me. I haven't picked up or looked at the nWoD stuff. It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's not for me. (Primarily due to money already expended on previous supplements, but also because I didn't see the NEED for a reimagined WoD (IMO.).

BUT, Umbran brings up a good point....

So, the nWoD is a mixed bag, at best, for me. And while your shelves may be filled with old material you could continue to use, mine are not. So if I want material to play the old game, I have to scrounge around, and pick up battered, ill-treated used books if I can find them at all.

I can understand the economic necessity, and I don't begrudge them that, but the nWoD is not a win for me, personally. I am hoping I am not in the same boat for 4e, but my judgment will be reserved for when I see the game.

A problem I fear will happen as 4e comes out, too.

I think 3.5 books will be easier to find than oWoD stuff, but finding a GROUP could pose a problem; when new groups form, I think the default is that people expect to play the newest edition.

Yes, there are people playing OD&D/BECMI/1E/2E, etc, I think it will be easier today to find a 3.5 game than any of the previous editions.

(PS: UMbran, if there's oWoD books you need, LMK; I have extras of some books, and can get ahold of others relatively easily.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
jasin said:
I feel much like this.

At worst, if I hate 4E, I'll keep playing 3E, which is, despite all its flaws, a pretty awesome game.
Right here with you.

Worst case scenario, I can pull the best ideas from 4E and keep on, keeping on.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Right here with you.

Worst case scenario, I can pull the best ideas from 4E and keep on, keeping on.
Same here. In the worst case, I extract all awesomeness out of 4E and inject it into Monte's AE, perhaps E6ify the whole thing to get my Super-D&D.

They cannot lose me on the 4E core books, only on the subsequent ones. Simply because the core books are a must have for a gearhead like me.

Cheers, LT.

Rechan

Adventurer
Would it be a wrong assumption to say that the majority of the people upset with the nWoD is those who have all the books from oWoD?

Meaning, well, those who are the most invested in something are the most put off when their investment is no longer applied?

That's... pretty obvious. As previously stated, it doesn't matter if it was better than sliced bread, it wouldn't be accepted by that person.

Seems like those upset are just those who are too attached to be able to move on.

KingCrab

First Post
Rechan said:
Would it be a wrong assumption to say that the majority of the people upset with the nWoD is those who have all the books from oWoD?

Meaning, well, those who are the most invested in something are the most put off when their investment is no longer applied?

That's... pretty obvious. As previously stated, it doesn't matter if it was better than sliced bread, it wouldn't be accepted by that person.

Seems like those upset are just those who are too attached to be able to move on.

I somewhat doubt this is true. In 2ed I bought tons of stuff. Multiple campaign settings (Ravenloft, Planescape). All the hardcovers. Tons of modules. I had a lot invested in 2ed. Yet when 3.x came out, I loved the system as soon as I started playing it. I really liked the amount of customization offered by the feats. I liked the skill system much better than nonweapon proficiencies from 2ed. I just really liked the way the game was designed. The number of 2ed books had nothing to do with how much I liked 3ed.

I have nowhere near as many 3.x books as I did 2ed, yet I'm very concerned about the (bad) flavor I've been hearing that their putting into the core books. The small amount I have invested in 3.x has nothing to do with my dislike for what I've been hearing. I don't really think the cost of new books is the reason most of the anti-4ed people are against 4ed.

Remove ads