• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's official...

Ryujin

Legend
Sounds like some people have bought into the Disney-fication of the "Fair" Folk. Changeling: The Lost should set you straight on the horror of Faerie.

Actually, having been raised on Scots and Irish fables, that's exactly what I was hoping to see. Even the Seelie Court isn't exactly Disneyesque.

Klaus

First Post
/agree with Victim.

The Feylock is the Diet Coke of Warlocks. It's the Warlock for people who want to hug bunnies instead of setting them on fire, people who don't want to make any real sacrifice for their power (and you get what you pay for, b/c the Feylock excels solely at teleporting).

You can make pacts with the forces of hell, unknowable entities of madness, or...the courts of the fey? One of these things is not like the other, methinks.
Aria Moonfire, warlock servant of the Bralani of Autumn, strongly disagrees with you.

[sblock]
tiefling_fey_warlock.jpg

[/sblock]

So does Kayleigh Bean-Sidhe, defender of Faerie:

[sblock]
defender_faerie_detail1.jpg

[/sblock]

MrAlgothi

First Post
While I yet to have my Arcane Power, I will be getting my book later today, I think judging the power of the Feylock build purely on damage is a poor and misinterpreted ideal. Its a known fact that Feylocks focus on Mobility and Single Target Control over damage. In fact, you can probably say that Feylocks damage enemy Economy of Actions more then any other class, and that is thier niche. A feylock should focus on reduction of enemy actions, starting with effects that greatly hinder actions, then graduating to effects that reduce them, and peaking finally with effects that completely remove actions from the enemy and ADDING them to the parties (ie. Domination, Forcing attacks against other creatures, etc.)

So while a typical Striker mantra would be 'Kill it with damage before it kills us', the Feylocks Mantra would be 'Kill the Enemies with the Enemy and add a bit of pain on top for flavor.'

If Arcane Power keeps with this power design, having powers that do low damage but have bizare and powerful secondary effects the really make the enemies days difficult... Well, I think it is doing the Feylock a good service.

Last edited:

You can make pacts with the forces of hell, unknowable entities of madness, or...the courts of the fey? One of these things is not like the other, methinks.

You and I clearly aren't reading the same fey tales and legends. You read the right sources, the "faerie folk" are at least as scary as the forces of Hell...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Perhaps if the Fey pact had concentrated more on charm and domination and illusion (traditional faerie stuff) and less on teleporting around like Nightcrawler from the X-Men it would have better gelled as 'scary faerie'?

That's just the impression I got, anyway.

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
By the way - have you seen the 'Dark pact' warlock from FR? I've not got FR, but I seem to remember hearing that their pact boon was potentially rather overpowered. They might be worth looking at if you've not seen them (and I read somewhere that they use Cha for their powers?)

Cheers

Ryujin

Legend
Perhaps if the Fey pact had concentrated more on charm and domination and illusion (traditional faerie stuff) and less on teleporting around like Nightcrawler from the X-Men it would have better gelled as 'scary faerie'?

That's just the impression I got, anyway.

Cheers

For that you have to get into the racial Paragon Path from PHB2.

There is one power that favours the Feylock, that I rather like, that seems in keeping with the capricious nature of The Fey; lift the target (10 + (5 X INT MOD) into the air and restrain him, and when he saves he falls. That's at level 9. For my character that would presumably generate 3d10 damage, barring Acrobatics rolls and Curse bonus damage, while possibly taking an opponent out of combat for a round or two.

Valesin

First Post
While I yet to have my Arcane Power, I will be getting my book later today, I think judging the power of the Feylock build purely on damage is a poor and misinterpreted ideal. Its a known fact that Feylocks focus on Mobility and Single Target Control over damage. In fact, you can probably say that Feylocks damage enemy Economy of Actions more then any other class, and that is thier niche. A feylock should focus on reduction of enemy actions, starting with effects that greatly hinder actions, then graduating to effects that reduce them, and peaking finally with effects that completely remove actions from the enemy and ADDING them to the parties (ie. Domination, Forcing attacks against other creatures, etc.)

So while a typical Striker mantra would be 'Kill it with damage before it kills us', the Feylocks Mantra would be 'Kill the Enemies with the Enemies' and add a bit of pain on top for flavor.'

If Arcane Power keeps with this power design, having powers that do low damage but have bizare and powerful secondary effects the really make the enemies days difficult... Well, I think it is doing the Feylock a good service.

That would be a great theory if the rogue and ranger didn't also have rider effects for nearly every power in addition to their better attack bonuses and better damage. Take a look at the first few levels of rogue: slide target, daze, blind, knock prone. Exactly where is the advantage the feylock supposedly has here?

MrAlgothi

First Post
That would be a great theory if the rogue and ranger didn't also have rider effects for nearly every power in addition to their better attack bonuses and better damage. Take a look at the first few levels of rogue: slide target, daze, blind, knock prone. Exactly where is the advantage the feylock supposedly has here?
The Rogue is quite good at rider effects I will admit (I play one as my prime character and I always choose powers with effects over damage.) However, Warlocks have range 10 on nearly every power and a damage mechanic that does not require perfect positioning, unlike Sneak Attack. Granted, a crafty rogue player can get CA 90% without much effort and has powers that grant it often, but the Curse Mechanic is a minor action Fire and Forget system that has benefits outside of damage (read: Pact Boon.)

The Rogue has quite a few Stuns, Slides, Dazes and Blinds. It even has the rare Forced Attack.

The Feylock has many powers with the same effects, plus more abilities that Force Attacks, Dominate, and other truly bizarre effects like stealing attack rolls, splitting damage, and so on. Just look at the Fey Paragon Path in the PHB, this is what the Devs thought a Feylock should be doing.

Feylocks just focus less on Damage and more on the other aspects of being a striker: Mobility and Target acquisition. They also heavily focus on Control: Target Action Negation.

Remove ads