OD&D It's Tom Moldvay's birthday.

Iosue

Legend
On a winter's morning in 1987, an older boy whom I helped on his paper route introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons. I took a fighter into the goblin area of the Caves of Chaos and was killed by an Ogre. The older boy gave me his copy of the Moldvay Basic Rules. I took them home, read them, and then the next day took my sister through a dungeon of my own devising. She took the rules, read them, and shortly thereafter took me and my friend through a dungeon of her devising. These days, my sister, my friend, and I, along with other siblings, spouses, and kids, still meet online for a weekly D&D game.

These days, dungeon exploration is passe, and no "basic rules" or "starter set" endeavors to teach complete newbies how to design and stock a dungeon. But I believe the reason I ever played D&D as a kid, and still play today, was because Tom Moldvay distilled the whole game into an easy-to-read 64-page booklet.

Last edited:

Similar story to the above. Friend loaned me his Moldvay basic. I rolled up a halfling who promptly got eaten by giant centipedes. The next day my dwarf Fredrick (that’s with the German pronunciation but the English spelling because I was 10, thank you very much) was born and only years later retired to run his fiefdom.
I played many games and stocked many dungeons thanks to Moldvay’s guidance. Godspeed, sir.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The writer of the Basic Set rule book of B/X D&D and my first D&D. It's probably why I have a love of Erol Otus art and games derived from that set.

To the point that someone mentioned they liked the B/X roots of Mork Borg and I instantly knew what they meant.

Happy Bday Tom!

Happy birthday, Tom. By far the best edition of D&D ever made. Thank you for everything.

Likely the best summation of D&D ever written:

“The D&D game has neither losers nor winners, it has only gamers who relish exercising their imagination. The players and the DM share in creating adventures in fantastic lands where heroes abound and magic really works. In a sense, the D&D game has no rules, only rule suggestions. No rule is inviolate, particularly if a new or altered rule will encourage creativity and imagination. The important thing is to enjoy the adventure.”

Tom Moldvay
3 December 1980

Remove ads