IVV1: The Forgotten Map [orsal judging]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Any delays i figure are the act of preperation of being the dm and as having taken the reins of this game are met only with gratitude. having said that, karl would move 4 spots to the Northwest as a move action so as to:
!) not spook the shocker lizards
2) be ready for a standard acvtion incase he needs to react. I guess that is called ready an action to move to corral the shocker lizards if they move west.

Vindala moves strait ahead determent to catch her pray, wishing to eventualy block thier path.

ooc: Technically Vindala moves at 40 ft. (without the bushes) due to speed of thought feat and being psionicly focused.

orsal

LEW Judge
OOC: oh, terrain modification! what was the penalty for that?

The swamp terrain cuts movement by half in most squares.

The lizards' base speed is 40', so whatever the terrain, as long as they continue to run away from you -- as they are doing -- you won't gain any ground on them. Do you want to try anything different while you're still chasing these particular lizards, or regroup and try again with another quarry?

Heckler

First Post
ooc: I don't think there's anything in the rules on this, but I don't think it's possible to run at full speed while blind. At least not without tripping and falling or running into a tree or something.

edit: Just checked the SRD here
[sblock=SRD]
Blinded

The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

emphasis mine[/sblock]

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
ooc: I don't think there's anything in the rules on this, but I don't think it's possible to run at full speed while blind. At least not without tripping and falling or running into a tree or something.

Good point -- and you're wrong about there being nothing in the rules:
Condition Summary :: d20srd.org
The lizards are moving at half speed, and the terrain further halves that. Let me redo the map with that in mind.

Code:
....V.........
.........s....
.........s....
.............D
K.............
.............O
.........B....
.........R....
.........L....

This is the position at the end of round 2. Most of your double-move. Razengrul and Lerrin single-move, and throw more stones, to no effect.

I see Vindala's speed is listed as 30' on the character sheet -- Spped of Thought is given as the feat, but not included in the actual speed calculation.

Up ahead, you can see the undergrowth gives way to bog:
Wilderness :: d20srd.org

I'll post another map soon with terrain indicated, and the shocker lizards' movement in round 3.

orsal

LEW Judge
The lizards continue to flee directly forward, as straight as their blinded condition allows. Ahead, you start seeing less undergrowth and more bog. You expect to be able to wade through the shallow bog about as quickly as through the marshy undergrowth, but deeper bog would be slower. From your distance it's not clear how deep the bog is, but you know from your tramping up to now that where there is a large patch of bog it's often deep inside.

. = solid ground, with undergrowth
x = bog
s = shocker lizard
capital letters = you

Code:
.x...x..x.....
.....x......x.
.....x..xx..xx
...x.x...sx..x
...x.....s..xx
........x.x.x.
....V.........