• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

J.J. Abrams finally apologize for lens flare

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Normally, I'd say he should pay for a re-release of the movies on DVD without lens flares. Sadly, that wouldn't make up for the scripts.
No, the next thing he should do is retire.
Sorry, but I haven't seen him do anything I liked. JJAbrams has delusions of being the next Spielberg, but has none of the talent.

delericho

Legend
My particular favourite bit of lens flare was in ST:ID where Carol Marcus was begging her dad not to wipe out the Enterprise, it was supposed to be a heartfelt and emotional plea... and the lens flare completely obscured her face!

For the most part, though... I don't really care. It's just another effect artists use to create their signature look. It can be done well, or it can be done badly. But in the latter case, it's not really lens flare that he needs to apologise for, it's doing it badly. IMO, at least.

My particular favourite bit of lens flare was in ST:ID where Carol Marcus was begging her dad not to wipe out the Enterprise, it was supposed to be a heartfelt and emotional plea... and the lens flare completely obscured her face!

For the most part, though... I don't really care. It's just another effect artists use to create their signature look. It can be done well, or it can be done badly. But in the latter case, it's not really lens flare that he needs to apologise for, it's doing it badly. IMO, at least.

I think that was the example where I definitely thought it was used really badly. I think mostly it's really just an artistic choice and it gave his Startrek movies a distinct visual feel. But it can and was overused, and the cited scene was a literally glaring example.

Remove ads