Jedi Knight

Sir Pentor

First Post
Thanks. The martial artist is pretty awesome. What it lacks, however, is the mysticism associated with the jedi. I what one would have to take away from that to get some "force" type skills.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sir Pentor said:
Thanks. The martial artist is pretty awesome. What it lacks, however, is the mysticism associated with the jedi. I what one would have to take away from that to get some "force" type skills.

You have a number of ways to get the mystical handwavning quotient up. First, have a look through the feats; some of them are pretty outre IMO. Second, if you want to use magic, the canonical way to do it in D&D is to multiclass with wizard, sorc, shaman, cleric or druid. Third, even "mundane" classes can access magic through the use of magic items.

I'm hashing out some rules for imbuing items (or yourself) by spending XP, based on the levelled items article in Dragon 289. This should help get over the magic-as-tech feel that lots of items tend to encourage.

Finally, remember that the flavour of a particular class isn't something that can be created purely by the rules. As written, the martial artist is almost all crunchy bits: rules mechanics and extra abilities, without any fluff to detract from the crunchiness. If you want that fluff, it's incumbent on you to provide it, say by giving the class a backstory that's consistent with your campaign.

Last edited:

Skaros

First Post
Zhure said:
- Use a psychic warrior (or a psion/fighter), specialize in shortsword then take the Soulknife PrC as soon as possible. Eventually it'll be a +5 weapon very similar to a lightsaber.

- Be a Samurai. They have Ancestral Weapon and bonus feats, plus better saves and skill points than a fighter.

- Be a Paladin. See if your DM will allow a different mount and make it Jar-Jar Binks. HEURGH. That was painful.

Greg

Good suggestion. In the meantime figure out a way to have someone create a new magic item.....a sword hilt that emits a burning sword as per the Flame Blade spell at will :)

I always thought that would be cool to dual wield :)

-Skaros

Marshall

First Post
Sir Pentor said:
I'm basically looking for something that is stylistically similar to the jedi knight--lightsaber, tumbling, crazy-ass :):):):)e, but I *do not* want it to be over powered--that is a good way to make the game boring.

The fighter/monk idea is an interesting one, but I haven't seen that class combo make sense on paper. The fact that the fighter BAB can't be used for the monk's fast incremental attack rate makes it not that interesting. And they don't have an "magic".

Just play a Monk and replace the reliance on Unarmed attacks with a single sword type. You get all the internal magic effects with the monks abilities, and only miss out on the force TK stuff.

IIRC, the psi-warrior doesnt have many abs that affect others either.

Remove ads