• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jim Ward's latest 900 Words: More Bombast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felon

First Post
Eternalknight said:
No, it was over the fact that he ragged on the reviews his products have gotten, and thus, the reviewers.

To be more concise, he directly criticized the reviewers (the column was actually entitled "reviewing the reviewers"), generalizing individuals who give negative reviews as petty, bitter, ignorant little nobodies (I'm paraphrasing, but not by much).

A week later, Lester Smith chimes in and continues the underlying tone of contempt for gamers who aren't industry insiders (i.e. "fanboys") stating the opinions of reviewers who have never actually published anything themselves are based on ignorance.

Here's a link to the FFE archives. Check'em out:

http://www.fastforwardgames.com/900index.cfm

While you're at it, check out the words of a true professional--someone who deserves a soapbox--Monte Cook:

http://www.montecook.com/arch_lineos62.html

Richards

Legend
The following is a direct quote from Jim Ward's latest "900 Words."
My point to this story is that being a trained gaming professional doesn't not mean I have to grin and take the tomatoes thrown at my product.
So, if it "doesn't not" (note the double negative) mean that, then what he's truly saying is:
Being a trained gaming professional means I have to grin and take the tomatoes thrown at my product.
Interesting. Foiled by his own poor grammar usage!

Johnathan

Belen

Adventurer
You know, I have been gaming for over a decade and I NEVER heard of Jim Ward until they started putting the "900 words" in the EnWorld news. After reading the latest garbage from the man, I am quite happy that I have never heard of him.

In any event, sometimes the reviewers are not critical enough as I have bought products (based on reviews) that I have detested. However, FFE has done me a favor. After their "900 blowhards," I will never purchase a product from them.

I mean, who would want to buy a product from some pretensious jerk.

Dave

Drawmack

First Post
My personal view is that it's his website and he can say what he wants.

I view unprofessional behavior as any behaviour that decreases the faith your customer base has in you. It has very little to do with what you actually produce and much more to do with self-presentation. If you're a gaming professional and you're posting to a message board where people know you're a gaming professional then you have to act like a gaming professional. If you want to be allowed to act like a non-professional, i.e. fan, and not have that reflect on your professionalism then you need to create another handle and remain annonymous.

Quinn

First Post
Wow...another tirade from Jim Ward along with a hook to try and get people on Fast Forward's message boards (cause after all, they are the only people who count). If we stomp our feet a bit more, I'll bet there'll be a third article in the series. Anyways, he's convinced me that he's a "Trained Gaming Professional" (tm). He's also convinced me that he's a hothead and a poor businessman. His fifteen minutes, as far as I'm concerned, are over.

Sir Trent

Explorer
another two cents

I think he was responding to calls from 'his' people to defend their bad reviews. I've heard the negative rants about FFE's products, and they have been pretty negative, but they do have some good ideas and concepts. Let the man have his rant, and then move on.

Quinn

First Post
Drawmack said:

I view unprofessional behavior as any behaviour that decreases the faith your customer base has in you. It has very little to do with what you actually produce and much more to do with self-presentation. If you're a gaming professional and you're posting to a message board where people know you're a gaming professional then you have to act like a gaming professional. If you want to be allowed to act like a non-professional, i.e. fan, and not have that reflect on your professionalism then you need to create another handle and remain annonymous.

Well said, and completely agree.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
As Dramack says, it's his website, so he can say anything he likes.

I think the best way to deal w/ Jim Ward's 900 Words columns is to just ignore them. Actually, that's the best way to deal with FFE products too. (IMO, natch.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads