D&D General JMISBEST's questions. Most of them about campaign ideas that either he or A GM he knows has and wants to know what people think

JMISBEST

Explorer
Can people please tell me what they think about The Dnd Dream I had last night?

In The Dnd Dnd Dream I had last night 1 of The Pcs was the future king of the smallest country in the world

It had a population of less then 87,900, it was founded within living memory and roughly just under 26.8% of its population can remember a time before the country was founded

The main reason it maintains its independence is because roughly 12.807% of its population is troops and among its army is 58 very young Silver Dragons

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Can people please tell me what they think about The Dnd Dream I had last night?

In The Dnd Dnd Dream I had last night 1 of The Pcs was the future king of the smallest country in the world

It had a population of less then 87,900, it was founded within living memory and roughly just under 26.8% of its population can remember a time before the country was founded

The main reason it maintains its independence is because roughly 12.807% of its population is troops and among its army is 58 very young Silver Dragons
I'm thinking that very soon those silver dragons are going to consume the kingdom.

I'd have a look here at an approximate amount of calories required by a T-Rex

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I must admit, you are the first person I've seen who dreams with such precise numbers percentages. 12.807% is not "roughly" at all.

So, this kingdom has too much troops to be sustainable (historically, sedentary civilizations have not been able to maintain armies of more than 5% of the general population). That, plus the young dragons, means that - unless this small kingdom is very good at producing food, it isn't sustainable.

So this kingdom will need either to expand and invade neighbors to gain more population and farming land, or find a magical source of food.

I also think that the notion that a tiny kingdom has 58 dragons to be, well, astounding.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
I must admit, you are the first person I've seen who dreams with such precise numbers percentages. 12.807% is not "roughly" at all.

So, this kingdom has too much troops to be sustainable (historically, sedentary civilizations have not been able to maintain armies of more than 5% of the general population). That, plus the young dragons, means that - unless this small kingdom is very good at producing food, it isn't sustainable.

So this kingdom will need either to expand and invade neighbors to gain more population and farming land, or find a magical source of food.

I also think that the notion that a tiny kingdom has 58 dragons to be, well, astounding.

Studying my venerable D&D 3.5 Monster Manual the silver dragon is of LG alignment, which means the chances of the kingdom being able to expand through warfare is unlikely.

The same era DMG does state that a society like that has a codified set of laws that the population willingly follows. Which leads me to wonder what sort of system is in place to determine who is fed to the silver dragons? :)

Thank you for that but can I have some more creative response's?

I, for one, would be more likely to put effort into creative responses to your ideas if you showed interest in someone else's. You might want to consider contributing to the rest of the forums if you want to increase the quality and quantity of contributions to your thread.

It also might help if you offered something new. This is roughly the umpteenth time we've seen a pitch about the idea of a future king, the eleventeenth time the smallest country in the world has shown up, and the bazillionth time there's been an absurdly large army. In short: it's been done. There's not much to get creative with.

nevin

Hero
Studying my venerable D&D 3.5 Monster Manual the silver dragon is of LG alignment, which means the chances of the kingdom being able to expand through warfare is unlikely.

The same era DMG does state that a society like that has a codified set of laws that the population willingly follows. Which leads me to wonder what sort of system is in place to determine who is fed to the silver dragons? :)
nothing preventing LG alignment from expanding through warefare. They could have self defense treaties with nearby kingdom's. With 58 silver dragon's in thier ranks any kingdom that kills a metallic dragon could become a target. It could be the next Rome bringing Law and Order to the World. Lot's of ways LG can get involved in war. The easiests is paying attention to what other kingdoms do and conquering them for being not LG so you can protect thier citizens. 58 silver dragons could turn into 58 Silver Prefects of the Empire.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
nothing preventing LG alignment from expanding through warefare. They could have self defense treaties with nearby kingdom's. With 58 silver dragon's in thier ranks any kingdom that kills a metallic dragon could become a target. It could be the next Rome bringing Law and Order to the World. Lot's of ways LG can get involved in war. The easiests is paying attention to what other kingdoms do and conquering them for being not LG so you can protect thier citizens. 58 silver dragons could turn into 58 Silver Prefects of the Empire.
I did say unlikely but I do take your point.

Which does lead me down a rather unpleasant scenario. A polymorphed silver dragon manages to influence a neighbouring kingdom into attacking. Then once the battle is over, being victorious the smallest kingdom on the planet decimates the aggressors population and feeds it to the remaining silver dragons.

Yeah that doesn't sit right with me at all but it does seem to be the plot of an old B-movie I might have once seen.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

those dragons gotta eat... the territory a dragon needs means this kingdom can't fit 58 dragons - I don't think they could handle 5.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rethinking this a bit, I think the fact that the dragons are very young changes things a bit - they probably can be fed. But as they grow and their needs increases...

Remove ads