• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jodo Kast Does The Adventure Path

Jodo Kast

First Post
All things roll here: horrors of midnights,
Campaigns of a lost year,
Dungeons disturbed, and groves of lights;
Echoing on these shores still clear,
Dead ecstasies of questing knights-
Yet how the wind revives us here!

- Arthur Rimbaud

This is yet another Story Hour that follows the exploits of heroes through the Adventure Path modules published by Wizards of the Coast. If your Dungeon Master intends to run any of these adventures, be advised that this Story Hour contains massive spoilers. For those who choose to read on, I hope you enjoy these chronicles and that you will find our trek down the Adventure Path quite unlike any other that has gone before.

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
THE SUNLESS CITADEL
Part 1: Brynja Arrives In Oakhurst; A Meeting With Kerowyn Hucrele

Brynja arrived in the small town of Oakhurst in the late afternoon several days before Midsummer. The morning had been beautiful, with a sunrise deserving of a portrait, but as she neared Oakhurst the day darkened. The town itself was quiet as a library, and the gray light which fell between the few small buildings clustered around the road softened and blurred the shadows, causing the town to appear old, tired ... faded.

When Brynja left Oakhurst with her father more than a decade before, she was a tall, gawky, towheaded lass of twelve winters. Her hair had darkened since, becoming the lustrous auburn of finished cherrywood, but her bangs remained blonde, falling to chin length on either side to frame her attractive face. No longer the awkward girl who once called Oakhurst home, Brynja was now lithe and graceful, her body lean and muscled. Gone was the simple peasant's dress of her youth, replaced by the outfit of an explorer, scale mail, a buckler, leather breeches, high boots and a light cape. A heavy crossbow was strapped to her back, and a longsword hung at her side. The girl who once played with dolls on her father's farm outside of Oakhurst was a swordswoman now. And she was, perhaps, the only hope her childhood friends Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele had left.

Twenty minutes after arriving in town, Brynja sat in a stiff-backed chair in a well appointed office. Across a large desk sat a stern-faced matron, her silver-streaked hair worn in a severe bun and a permanent scowl dragging the corners of her mouth downward.

"Thank you for coming, Brynja," Kerowyn Hucrele sighed heavily. Her children's friendship with the grubby farmer's daughter had brought her much displeasure through the years. Truth be told, that had a great deal to do with her purchase of Brynja's family farmstead more than a decade ago. Kerowyn paid more than a fair price for the land, and Brynja's father left Oakhurst with his daughter in tow. Over the years couriers would occasionally deliver some missive from Brynja in her new home town of Blasingdell to Talgen and Sharwyn, and Kerowyn knew that the children wrote to their old friend as well. She suspected that Brynja's chosen profession as a swordswoman in service of the Blasingdell watch had influenced her children's foolhardy pursuit of adventure. She had seen the blood rise in Talgen's cheeks at the mere mention of Brynja's name, and guessed at his intention to court her someday. Because of all this Kerowyn despised the peasant girl, but now she had need of Brynja's swordarm.

"I came right away, Mistress Hucrele," Brynja replied, her voice shaky with concern for her old friends. Her feelings for Talgen and Sharwyn were strong and sincere, and so she either did not notice the disapproving tone in Kerowyn's voice or chose to ignore it. "How can I help?"

"A little more than a month past two so-called adventurers arrived in town, full of grandiose ambition and foolhardy notions. Sir Braford was a headstrong, self-righteous devotee of Pelor. His companion was an elf, some sort of wild woodsman. Kerakas, I believe was his name. The two of them somehow convinced Talgen and Sharwyn to accompany them into the depths of the Sunless Citadel, certain that they would find wealth and glory. I warned them that the Citadel was a place of death, but they failed to heed my words. They delved into the Citadel a month past, and were never seen again.

"I sent for rescuers almost immediately, of course. I learned of two mercenaries of some notoriety, one a dwarven arcanist with the might to drive goblin hordes before him single-handedly, the other a half-orc more powerful than any ten men. They should have been here several weeks ago, but they never arrived. That is why I sent for you. You are the last hope my children have.

"Go for them, Brynja. I will assemble a party to accompany you, the best I can do in these dangerous times. If you find and return my lost children you will be rewarded handsomely, 250 gold pieces per child, for each of you."

Brynja's eyes flashed blue and bright and hard at Kerowyn Hucrele. She was insulted that the old merchant offered her gold to go to the rescue of her best friends in the world. It struck Brynja as particularly gruesome that Kerowyn could so callously place a price on the return of her own children, as if this were no different than any of her myriad business transactions. But had Kerowyn not always been that way, throwing gold at all of her troubles, buying anything and anyone that stood in her way? Brynja averted her gaze to the floor and continued listening.

"If they cannot be returned, then at least bring to me the gold signet rings they wore. Of course, the reward will be halved if they are not brought back alive."

Brynja drew a deep breath, struggling not to trade harsh words. "Of course I will go after Talgen and Sharwyn, and I shall bring them back alive. I'll set out at first light tomorrow." Brynja stood, shouldered her pack, and left the office without another word. There would be a meal and a warm bed for her at the Ol' Boar, and she would be well rested for the dangerous quest awaiting her.

Kerowyn's eyes narrowed as Brynja departed, and she rose from her desk. She had more recruiting to do, and precious little time before sundown ... and the coming of the monsters.

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
Excellent as ever, Jodo! You've got a real flair for setting a scene as well as showing the emotions behind the characters.

Are you going to introduce the characters one at a time like Tales from the Outer Rim?

Jodo Kast

First Post
Thanks Madriel! Glad to have you on board. For the most part the characters will be introduced one at a time, ala Tales from the Outer Rim, except two of the characters will be introduced together as they were in the actual game.

Jodo Kast

First Post
THE SUNLESS CITADEL
Part 2: Tothla In The Ol' Boar

Gloom, shadow and silence hung heavy in the air of the Ol' Boar Inn. The place was full of townsfolk, but they sat huddled together in small groups as if trying to stay warm. There was some low, uneasy conversation, but Tothla had presided over more raucous funerals. Hundreds of them. Literally.

If the townsfolk had been perturbed before, they became even more apprehensive as one by one they took note of Tothla's entrance. The stranger was wrapped in a cloak the color of charcoal, but where it fell open they could see it had a deep red underlining, and the hem at the bottom was yellow. He had lank black hair that fell to his shoulders, high cheekbones, and angular, hawkish features. His face was smeared with some sort of gray ash, which was applied more heavily around the eyes to form dark black circles that called to mind the empty eye sockets of a skull. He wore a chain shirt, and over that a high-collared tunic. The tunic was gray with yellow trim, except for a large, coffin-shaped swath of red on the chest. Inside the red was the image of a skeleton in gentle repose, its head slightly tilted as if contemplating the single yellow rose it held in its bony hands. These were the vestments of a priest of Sheol, Lord of the Grave.

Their faces turned white as they stared at Tothla. One woman swooned, and the frail old man seated next to her barely caught her in his arms. The worship of Sheol was not widespread in this part of the world, and so these folk were largely unfamiliar with the garb of his priests. To most of them, it seemed as if the Reaper himself had just entered the inn, and in these strange times such an event certainly seemed possible. Only some of the old-timers regarded Tothla with curiosity rather than trepidation.

Tothla walked deliberately to the bar at the back of the room. The old barkeep nodded as Tothla approached. "Seen your kind before, priest. Once, many years ago. They came on the Old Road, and hailed from the Farsouth. Asked a lot of questions about the Sunless Citadel. They were missionaries, spreading the word about your god. Hard to sell death to folks, though, and they moved on without any converts." The barkeep lowered his voice. "They did put old Wyl to his final rest though, and for that this town was thankful. I'm Garon. What do you call yourself, stranger?"

"I am Tothla," answered a voice as deep and resonant as a tomb, and as mournful as wind through a graveyard. "I am in the service of Sheol, the Gardener, the Guide, the Guardian of Souls." Tothla looked back at the room and saw that all eyes were fixed upon him. Turning back to the barrel-chested barkeep, Tothla observed, "Your streets are empty, and it is not yet dusk. Why do these folk cower here like frightened lambs when a wolf is about?"

"These are troubled times, friend. The cattleherders don't graze their stock too far afield these days. They're frightened by stories of monsters that maraud by night. Not the goblin bandits of the Citadel, either, we have an understanding with those thieving buggers. No, something nobody has seen, creatures that leave no trail. Cattle, and even a few people who have been caught out alone, have been found dead the next day, their bodies pierced by dozens of needlelike claws. Oakhurst hasn't had a scare like this since old Wyl."

Tothla's eyes met Garon's and he lifted one brow quizzically. Garon lowered his voice even further. "Years ago, an addled old hermit lived outside of town. He kept mostly to himself, him and his daughter, in a little shack he had. He was crazy, a bent old man, always muttering to himself, but never hurt a soul ... not while he was alive, anyway.

"One winter came a storm the likes of which this town had not seen in perhaps a hundred years or more. Old Wyl and his daughter were snowed in up in his shack, and the crazy bastard hadn't put up enough food to last the winter. His daughter died up there, whether it was fever or starvation nobody will ever know, nor does it much matter. When the first thaw came and some herdsmen cleared a path to Wyl's shack to check on him, they found him curled on the floor wailing like a banshee, his daughter's body clutched close to him. She had been dead for a while, but Wyl wouldn't let her go. When the men finally wrestled him down and took the body, they saw that there was flesh missing ... bites ... something had been eating at her. Then they realized that old Wyl, already crazy and even more mad with grief and hunger, had started eating his own daughter.

"Old Wyl didn't live long after that. When he died we buried him on a hill, not in the little town graveyard, and we left seven stones as a marker. A few nights later, something started getting into the chicken houses in the farms outside of town. Not a fox. No, this was messy, blood and feathers everywhere, the whole coops destroyed. Some people talked about a strange figure lurking around the town graveyard at night. Some folks even said that it was crazy Wyl, cursed to rise up because he had tasted the flesh of his own daughter. Still, I didn't believe it until I saw old Wyl myself.

"My pap owned this inn back in those days, and I was in my youth. I was drinking with my friend Rowlan, and we were both deep in our cups. We were stumbling through town, singing tavern songs and howling at the moon, when Wyl came at us, or a creature that had once been Wyl. His skin had turned to gray, and was drawn tight to his bones. He was moving and looking at us in a way that was more like a wolf than a man, cunning and wild. His eyes burned like hot coals down in their sunken sockets. The worst part was that smell. He smelled like rotten dirt. Wyl stunk of the grave from whence he had crawled. I pissed myself then and there, right in the middle of the road. Wyl moved fast. He lunged at us, clawed us." Garon tugged his tunic down, revealing four long, hideous scars on his chest. "I couldn't move. Couldn't do anything. I could only watch while Wyl snarled like a dog and drug off Rowlan. But even as he was dragging Rowlan off, even then, Wyl had already started eating."

A tear welled up in Garon's eye, and it was a moment before he continued. "About that time those fellows showed up in town. The ones who dressed like you. Some folk blamed them for old Wyl rising up from the grave. But they explained that their god despises the undead, sees them as a mockery of both the living and the dead. Said that aside from guiding souls to their final reward, the most important thing for them was to make sure that the dead stay dead. They told us that Wyl had become a ghoul, but that they could put him to a final rest. And that night they went on a hunt, and I don't know how they did it, but we never saw old Wyl again."

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
Here is a portrait of Tothla that I commissioned from the excellent Claudio Pozas.

tothla

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads