• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Joining party that has on going "fight" between wizard and Psion

Eman Resu

First Post
The 2 players always pick builds focused around these classes, 1 the wiz and the other the Psion. They will have a back n' forth almost every game play and remain very "1uppy" on eachother. They did do the "I challenge you bit" a few times, probably ten, and so far its come down to initiative in a couple of the fights, the Psion won twice and the Wizard twice. Then I heard of the gestalt battle the Psion lost vs the Wizards Swift Blade build 4 times and running. Apparently the gestalted swiftblade is a killer.

Is this a common arguement, Psion vs Wizard, and if it is I wonder if the Sorcerer or Cleric or Favored Soul could join in or are they just 2nd fiddle?

just had to ask thanks all

Eman Resu

Baveboi

First Post
Yes. Maybe.

What. He. Said.

All serious now, I never saw why Psion and Wizard should even fight to begin with. Psichic Powers and Spells are fisically the same thing: Metafisical power derived from a source of common power that can shape the laws of the universe.
Rule of Power/Spell Transparency.

Regarding what I already said, if you don't want my opinion on the subject stop reading now.
Really.
But if you do want my opinion on that, well:
It's a patological compulsion that results in any number of irrational and creative demonstrations devoid of objective or dept, that has as result the solemnly effect of boosting the champion's ego. Aka - "My pokemon is stronger than yours" syndrome.

Stay away from it. It's contagious.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I can see it now...

"I am David Attenborough and tonight we'll be watching a complex combative ritual as two fierce competitors try to take the title of Alpha Geek. Notice first how they call out to each other, issuing challenges, circling each other warily. But soon, one will make the first move and the fight is on."

"Why do they do it? Why do they risk avatar life and limb? Is it for exclusive breeding rights among the females? Is it for first pick of food or resting spot? No. As far as we naturalists can determine, it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. The breeding prospects of geeks, as slim as they are, are determined by many subtle factors other than alpha status. The same is true of prime nourishment. There are, however, hypotheses that the alpha geek status has a significant impact on resting spot as the alpha usually has what he calls his "seat on the couch" or around the table and will use his status to bully other geeks away."

Bacris

First Post
As a die-hard psionics fan... It's not unusual for there to be a need by folks playing psionic characters to prove that their character is just as good, if not better, than other characters. Personally, it's because previous editions of psionics (I'm looking at you, 3.0), were pretty poorly balanced. Unless you munchkined it, you were overall weaker than anyone else, and if you did munchkin it, you likely got your character banned from the table due to loophole abuse...

So yeah, it's not uncommon. The Psion is intended to be roughly analagous to the Wizard, and in 3.5, the sorceror was a bit behind the power curve.

That being said, any direct 1-vs-1 combat between most characters typically comes down to who goes first and if they roll well, especially if both characters are designed well.

Eman Resu

First Post
Nobody has played a Druid ever and a Cleric build was played once. It was my pc and we got up to 10th level, 6/4 Cleric/Fighter, no where near optimum; munchkined, cheesed or min/maxed (I need a description of these terms). To tell you the truth if I were to play a Druid or a Cleric it would really be the first in both groups.

My next logical question would be, how to build a Druid or Cleric themed pc in this gestalt campaign? For my first time playing a Cleric or Druid, which would be your suggestion? Remember these guys are the gestalt powergammer group, I will be playing with for the next couple of months. Again my agenda/goal was to create a build that was not a Wizard/Psion/Warmage and knock their socks off...Well maybe just stay "on par" with these guys. DM wants a 5th 10th & 15th skeletal version of builds so he can decide which level we will start at.

The (gestalt/3.5) party will be, or I would expect to be from what Im hearing thus far
1)Psion/Fighter
2)Wizard/?/Swift Blade
3)Monk/fighter/psy fighter
4)the party recluse (you know the player that writes notes to DM all game play and hides all the time) is playing a mix of classes and doesnt tell his build to anyone but the DM. We know he plays rogue/assassin types and suspect some mix of all these (again) rogue/scout/psy warrior/fighter/elocater/Psion/assassin/Shadow Dancer
5)???
6) my pc

this divine build will be new to everyone, so which to pick the Druid or the cleric and any suggestions? feat/spells/other classes ... Reallistically can a Cleric or Druid getalted with ? stay up with the above pc's?

I wish I had the complete divine book here so I could look up some feats/spells

anyhelp much much appreciated!

Bacris

First Post
I've played a wildshaping druid - no multiclassing, no gestalting. It's extremely strong, so that would be my recommendation. Elven archer cleric is another strong option, but doesn't gestalt well with a wildshaping druid ;) The cleric gets maximum effect with Divine Metamagic (I think that's the name of it...) that allows you to use your Turn Undead ability to power metamagic feats, and using those to get persistent buffs up.

Wildshaping druid is pretty simple: druid with Wis as the focus stat, Natural Spell feat, druid's vestments magic item. Most anything else above that is icing on the cake.

Monk might gestalt well with the druid to gain the bonus AC / movement, but as I rarely play gestalt, I can't really speak well to that.

BENINHB

First Post
Monk/Druid Gestalt is only cool if you want to be a Dire Bear charging at 200+ feet per round and calling down lightning bolts and hurricanes before he starts clawing, punching, biting and kicking his target like Eddie Gordo on crack.

Remove ads