Joker Teaser Trailer

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
[video=youtube_share;t433PEQGErc]https://youtu.be/t433PEQGErc[/video]

Joaquin Phoenix might be one of the few to be able to step into the shoes of Heath Ledger and take over the role. Instead of going that route they went another. Yet it seems similar.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hard to tell what to make of it. I'm not keen on the idea of a Joker origin story (I prefer it to remain mysterious - Ledger's multiple choice origins was genius) but it's not like they haven't done it in the comics before.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That’s one of the good points about Worlds of DC having no clear vision - they can cast 2 Jokers in their ‘shared-ish’ universe and have one be a great origin movie but keep the other guy in Justice League continuity - it’s like Elseworlds is official

Last edited:

In general I'm not fond of giving villains their own origins-story-movie. They are not the main character, they are the supporting cast. They were never meant to be leads.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not like the Joker hasn't had an origin story before. 1988's The Killing Joke, most notably (and which looks like it largely inspires this movie).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Killing_Joke

Of course, his origin story changes all the time. This is just one more. He's basically an unreliable narrator. There's also the Red Hood origin.

250px-Killingjoke.JPG

A friend of mine said it looked like "Funny Taxi Driver." Judging from the trailer, it looks better than I expected. Better than it should be. Like Travis Bickle, it seems that they're going with the story of a man, already on the edge, that snaps after one bad day too many.

Like others have said, this origin story doesn't lock him down anymore than Jack Nicholson's origin story of the character. As Walt Whitman said "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Ryujin

Legend
After Leto's horrible take on The Joker I think that having someone like Phoenix play him could be a balm for the soul.

On the subject of showing a mundane origin for him, I'm a little leery. Yes, it's been done again and again, but I also vaguely recall something from the comics about The Joker being one of the two beings still alive at the end of the universe. Can't find the reference though.

Remove ads