JollyDoc's Kingmaker-Updated 7/4/2011

JollyDoc

Explorer
SNICKER SNACK

It was exactly one month from the appearance of the first First World bloom when the last one erupted, quite literally, on the front steps of Veritas. In the early morning hours, Mox, Stevhan and Velox were summoned to the battlements by Harold. On the plains before the capital city a strange and sinister forest had grown seemingly overnight. Protruding from the center of the mass of twisted trees, thorny vines and evil-looking fungi, was a ghostly image of an impossibly tall alabaster tower atop a hill that looked too round to be natural. A spectral phantasm of an immense black wyrm could be seen flying in circles around the tower. A tremendous clamor of screams, growls, roars and howls emanated from the forest, echoing across the plain to the ears of every citizen of Veritas. As Mox and the others watched, a veritable army of horrors exploded out of the bloom. Murderous beasts, crazed satyrs, giant worms, slavering, deformed wyverns, lumbering giants, and blood-drinking plants swarmed towards the city walls. Mox’s eyes went wide, and she turned to Velox, knowing the answer to her question before it was asked. Their armies from the war with Pitax had been disbanded.

Velox didn’t hesitate. He sent runners to spread the call-to-arms to the city guard. After the war with Pitax, the general had spent months personally training the watchmen for just such an eventuality. Kardashia had grown too large to maintain a permanently standing army, so each province had been charged with forming its own militia to answer the call in time of need. With the exception of Fort Drelev, Velox’s own city, Veritas was the most prepared for such an eventuality. Within minutes, the best archers of the guard were assembled on the walls, while the infantry set to clearing civilians from the streets, and reinforcing the main city gates. As the hordes of the First World charged recklessly across the plain, the bowmen of Veritas opened fire. The swarm of arrows was so dense that it cast a shadow between the horde and the sun, and scores of fey fell screaming to the ground. Still the swarm came. They reached the city walls, where the giants formed makeshift siege towers that the smaller creatures began to swarm up. Again and again the archers fired, but the sheer numbers of the enemy were overwhelming. Then, a rallying cry went up among the defenders as the Royal Magister, Selena, the Warden, Tungdill, and the Queen herself strode out atop the battlements. On Mox’s command, the three rained fire, ice and burning acid down upon the ravening mob below. The wave broke and fell back, self-preservation overcoming their savage blood thirst. The reprieve was brief, however. The next assault focused on the main gates, and though the massive portals were made of iron-backed hardwood, and barred by massive iron bolts, the splintered under the unrelenting pounding of the giants. The guardsmen found themselves in bloody, brutal hand-to-hand combat through the city streets. Yet they were not alone. Velox, Davrim and Stevhan stood shoulder-to-shoulder with them, and though the casualties were high, the horde was beaten back once more. As the fey army was pushed back outside the city walls, the archers opened fire again, and that time, Mox, Selena and Tungdill ensured that the victory would be total. Under the horrific power of their magic, not a single fey survived.

“What’s next?” Mox asked Evindra.
The Queen was seated upon the throne. Aside from the nereid, only her immediate lieutenants were present. In the aftermath of the First World assault, the city was still reeling and struggling to both recover and come to grips with the losses they had suffered. It had only been two days, and the wounds were still raw.
“I…I’m not sure,” the fey replied uncertainly. “Nyrissa is very powerful, but I feel that her ability to maintain the blooms is becoming stretched. Still…I feel…there’s something I’m missing…,”
As if in reply, a peal of thunder rocked the very foundations of the castle, rattling the glass within the window frames.
“What the Blazes??” Tungdill cursed. “There ain’t a cloud in the sky outside! Checked the weather m’self this mornin’!
“I’m guessing this isn’t going to be a natural occurrence,” Velox sighed. “Looks like the fey queen isn’t done with us yet.”

As Tungdill had said, the sky was clearest blue when the companions emerged from the keep, but the thunder rolled again, deafening in its intensity. Citizens began to pour into the streets, curiosity mixed with concern upon their faces. The city watch reported no sign of activity on the plains, nor the lake. The sky remained empty. Again and again came the peels. It was Stevhan who first mentioned the regularity of them…every ten minutes. Then, as the sun reached high noon, the rhythm changed. It came more quickly, with increasing regularity, almost like…footsteps…

A final crack of thunder, the loudest one yet, shook the city, and then, with a flash of emerald light, the boundary between the First World was sundered. Momentarily, a rent appeared in the fabric of reality above Veritas, and a True Monster stepped between worlds. The hideous, reptilian beast stood nearly thirty-feet high, with a long, scaly neck, a vaguely draconic body, and a sinuous, whip-like tail. Its arms and legs were thin, but incredibly strong, ending in sharp talons. Immense, draconic wings flapped on its back, and its ovoid head was a nightmare of bulging eyes, sharp teeth, and long thin antennae or whiskers.
“It is the Tane!” Evindra screamed in fear. “She has sent the Jabberwock!!”

As the crowds began to run and shriek in panic, Stevhan felt a sudden flush of heat from his back, and then heard a voice in his mind.
‘I am Briar,’ it said, ‘and I have awakened. My time with you is brief, for the final reckoning has not yet arrived, yet if my enemy has indeed sent the Tane among you, then I cannot remain idle. Take me up, young warrior, for it was you that I chose. Fear not to wield me. My power is yours to command, and I shall protect you as I vanquish our common foe. Rise up! Snicker-snack!!’

“Get these people out here!” Velox ordered the captain of the guard as his eyes began to glaze over. Iomedae’s might filled him, and he swelled to twice his size. Beside him, Tungdill vanished into the cyclonic form of a whirling elemental.
“Go!” Selena cried to her companions. “I’ll try to hold it back for a moment!”
Her hands wove magic in the air above her, conjuring a powerful dweomer able to paralyze the muscles of even the strongest beasts. But not, apparently, a Jabberwock. As it descended towards the ground, it burbled a cacophony of strange noises and shouted nonsense in various languages. The effect was maddening, and many among those fleeing threw themselves to the ground, their hands over their ears, while others turned on their neighbors, attacking them unprovoked with whatever improvised weapons were close at hand.

Tungdill’s vortex rose into the sky and crackled with black lightning. The druid sent one of the bolts sizzling towards the Tane, hoping to snuff out its life with a single strike. The Jabberwock flinched and snarled at the stinging of its flesh, but to the druid’s disbelief, only a small, black smudge marked where the devastating bolt had struck.
Still on the ground below, Velox reached deep inside to harness the power of his patron. He extended his palm, and ebony light lanced towards the Jabberwock. Under ordinary circumstances, the powerful spell would be capable of healing even the most mortal of wounds, but the oracle had altered its purpose, intending for it work in exactly the opposite fashion. Such harm would it inflict, that the target would be wounded almost unto death. The Jabberwock recoiled from the blast, but otherwise seemed unfazed. Lost in his battle fervor, it occurred to Velox only remotely that this might be a fight they could not win.

Stevhan never for a moment doubted Briar’s word. He reached into his belt for a flight elixir, and then leaped into the air, the sword glowing like a beacon before him. The Jabberwock’s eyes locked on him instantly, and its jaws snapped forward, savaging his leg. The ranger veered in mid air and brought Briar down upon the monster’s neck, hoping to sever it cleanly. At that last moment, the Tane jerked away, leaving a horrible in its hide, and something in its eyes that Stevhan was shocked to see…fear. Then, its eyes started to glow with crimson fire, and twin beams of crimson light flared from them. Both struck the prince, setting him ablaze and tumbling from the sky.

Tungdill rushed forward, catching the falling ranger in his vortex before he could hit the ground.
“Not so fast, boy!” the elemental rumbled in a voice like thunder. “We still need ya!”
The druid channeled healing magic into Stevhan, closing his wounds and returning him to consciousness.
“Thanks old timer,” Stevhan smiled grimly. “I owe you one.”
“You owe me plenty!” Tungdill growled as he hurled the ranger back into the sky.

Mox watched, tight-lipped as her husband joined the battle once more. Davrim rose into the air with him, but the Jabberwock batted the inquisitor aside like a leaf in a windstorm. She feared for Stevhan’s life, but she would never speak the words aloud. This was their duty. Their calling. No life of ease was ever promised them. She closed her eyes, slowly exhaled her breath, and began her own incantation. With luck, before her husband even reached the beast, she would be able to suffocate the air right out of its lungs. No sooner had she cast the spell, however, than she knew it would fail. The Tane unleashed its fiery gaze again, and though Stevhan was singed, he continued upward.

Briar flared like a small star as Stevhan struck. The blade bit deep into the hide of the Tane, and each time it did, the beast screamed like a child. Again and again it lashed out at the ranger, both with its eye beams, and with tooth and claw. Stevhan burned and he bled, but he did not waver. He did not retreat. He fought like a man possessed, until finally, with an inarticulate cry of rage, he drove Briar through the Jabberwock’s breast and into its heart. With a final scream, the Tane exploded into a thousand pieces.
‘Well done, young prince,’ Briar whispered, its voice already fading. ‘I have chosen well. We shall meet again soon.’

“If Nyrissa sent the Jabberwock for you,” Evindra opined, “then perhaps she’s reached the limit of her ability to assault your world…at least for now.”
“What are you saying?” Mox asked. “That she might resume the attacks?”
“In time,” Evindra cast her eyes down. “She is immortal after all. Time is her ally.”
“And you are supposed to be ours!” The Queen’s voice rose angrily. “Weren’t you supposed to be researching a way for us to take the fight to this bitch?”
“Yes, my Queen,” Evindra nodded. “I cannot be certain, but I think I may have found something after all. I had planned on telling you sooner, but with all of the blooms coming so quickly, I wasn’t sure the time was right.”
Mox’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Perhaps if you’d told us sooner, then we wouldn’t have had so much trouble with the blooms. Now…what have you found?”
“The Castle of Knives,” Evindra replied. “The ruins you found in Thousand Voices. I think the portal might lie there. Go there. Take the bloom tokens you’ve collected and…we’ll see.”
“ ‘We’ll see??’” Mox snapped. “What’s that supposed to mean?”
“It means…I’m not certain,” Evindra whispered. “It’s all I can tell you.”
Mox turned to her companions, her face burning.
“Prepare yourselves,” she said. “We leave at dawn.”

It was nearly midnight and Selena stood outside, gazing across the castle's gardens from atop her tower's balcony. Suddenly, a silent shadow blocked the pale moonlight above the witch. The massive form of an ancient black dragon glided above the tower. Leaping from the beast's back, the Queen of Kardashia glided down upon her own black, leathery wings and landed beside Selena. The pair faced each other and each nodded respectfully.
"What is the reason for our private meeting, my Queen?" asked Selena.
Mox folded her arms across her chest before speaking.
"Hunting down this Fairy Queen is a great concern and a huge threat to the kingdom. I believe that facing her on her own plane will put great risk to everyone making the attack."
Mox turned and gazed out over the walls of the castle.
"I believe the time has come to ask a great service of you, Selena. I feel we may need the power of the Eye to guide us through this crisis. I'd like you to consider taking its power before we cross into another plane."
"What about Velox," asked Selena. "You know he and the orc will not allow me to have it."
"Your powers and my illusions will protect you.” Mox replied. “ I will use my magics to make your eye appear normal. I will cast it upon you each morning and it will easily last until the next day. If that fails us, things may become physical. However, it would be foolish of them to attack us. I assure you. Let me know of your decision as soon as you've made it."
Mox raised her hands, muttered a soft incantation, and vanished in a billowing cloud of black smoke.
____________________________________________________________-

The Castle of Knives, deep in the forest of Thousand Voices in the foothills of the Branthlend Mountains, was nothing like Mox and her companions remembered it. When they’d first come upon the place, it had been little more than a ruin. Now, however, it was a complete structure of sharp towers and confusing architecture of dozens of colors that seemed strangely too vibrant for the surroundings. The entire castle was surrounded by a wrought iron fence that contained a single gate flanked by statues of beautiful women. The statues formed an arch with their raised hands, while in their other hands they each held high a sword that bore a striking resemblance to Briar. As Stevhan neared the gate, he felt a pulse of power from Briar, and simultaneously, the two blades held by the statues momentarily glowed with emerald light.
“Looks like the place,” Mox smirked. “Shall we?”

One-by-one, the companions passed beneath the arch, and as they did reality transformed around them. When they emerged on the far side, they found themselves, not in the courtyard of the castle, but rather on a narrow path leading into a dense forest. It was twilight, though it had been mid-morning before they had stepped through the gate. The forest hemmed them in oppressively on both sides, and the trees rose up several hundred feet above them. The gloom was alive with cries of fear and fury, sounding at once miles away and just around the corner. The Voices of Thousand Voices spoke of helplessness in a pitiless and unending night. Beyond the screams were other sounds: weeping, singing of children’s rhymes, shouts of anger, feral cries, and howls. There was no doubt in the minds of the heroes of Kardashia that they were very, very far from home.

There seemed no choice but to go forward along the path, deeper into the dark of the forest. It was a narrow, winding trail, no wider than ten feet, and overhung by thorny branches. Time seemed to have no meaning in that strange world. Hours may have passed, yet the twilight seemed unchanged. After an unknown passage, however, the forest cleared, and a broad lake of dark water filled the majority of the resulting glen, leaving a fifteen-foot-wide path around its edge. Dozens of black swans glided along the lake’s surface, apparently unimpressed by the immense but strange silent whirlpool that churned at its center. Along the forest edge, many of the trees seemed to be dying or dead, their twisted branches drooping and their trunks scarred with disease and burns.
“This looks sort of familiar,” Davrim noted. “Does anyone else feel like we are about to be attacked by giant elementals again?”
“I dunno,” Tungdill offered. “I think them fellas wanna have a go at us first.”
The dwarf nodded towards the woods, were several of the dead, lightning-scarred trees had uprooted themselves and were lumbering forward along the shore. Velox and Davrim instinctively moved forward, swords in hand, but before they could move more than a few paces, an odd thing began to happen. Crackling lines of electricity began gathering among the dead branches of the walking trees. In a matter of seconds, these lines coalesced into coruscating halos around each of them. Then, in a flash, bolts of lightning lanced out, striking the oracle and the inquisitor, and then arcing to each of the companions in turn. They jittered and jerked were they stood before the electricity released them, and by that time the trees were upon them. Velox and Davrim launched themselves forward, somewhat stiff, but no less deadly. Stevhan joined them, and the trio wove a devastating dance among the creatures. They hacked each down in turn like skilled lumberjacks. Finally, when only tree still stood, Mox reduced it to a pile of ash via a coruscating blast of emerald fire from her hand.
“The blooms,” Selena sighed as the last tree fell. “Please tell me that each of them was not linked to some part of this forest. I think we are in for a long, long journey.”

carborundum

Adventurer
Awesome! I've been waiting for the Jabberwock to make an appearance for AGES - and it didn't disappoint!

Fantastic writing as ever JD, thank you sir!

JollyDoc

Explorer
Selena was right. As the companions travelled the paths of Thousandbreaths, they lost all concept of time. The paths they walked varied from narrow and overgrown with thorns, to wreathed with strange flowers that seemed to writhe and moved on their own, and exuded a poisonous gas that brought on hallucinations if inhaled for too long. Yet another narrow trail was littered with bloated animal carcasses, while a wide, grassy path was lined with statues of curious creatures that were at once human and animal. The trees had an unsettlingly fleshy look, with parts of people woven or grafted into them, some of which spoke nonsense to the companions as they passed. They did, at one point, try and fly above the tree line, only to find that it always seem to extend just above them no matter how high they flew. When they would finally have to stop and rest, their dreams were troubled with nightmares, all overshadowed by the great black bird. With Selena’s advice on how to drive the rook off, however, none of the dreams followed them back into the waking world.

Periodically, the group would come upon another glade, and much like the first they’d encountered, each seemed to mirror one of the blooms that had manifested in Kardashia. In one they found a frozen, oversized graveyard with tombstones over ten-feet tall. There they battled a massive, four-limbed frost giant armed with a quartet of razor-sharp axes. Though enraged and fearsome to behold, his threat was greatly lessened once Velox simultaneously disarmed him of all his weapons. Another glade was a foul-smelling marsh, over a mile across, and infested by the gargantuan, blood-red mire worms that the heroes had encountered in the bloom in Hooktongue Slough. Still the companions trudged onward through the seemingly endless First World forest.

A mile-wide clearing in the vast forest opened under the twilight sky to make way for a field of jagged hills and thorny plains. A single stone spire rose like a needle nearly a mile skyward…and perched atop it was what appeared to be an immense but motionless crow.
“That’s it…,” Selena whispered to her friends. “The Nightmare Rook.”
As if it heard her speak, the great bird turned its head towards them and spread its mighty wings.
“It’s now or never,” Velox intoned, his eyes glazing over.
The oracle placed a hand on both Davrim’s and Stevhan’s shoulders. His golden helm flashed brilliantly, and the trio vanished. The others stood dumbstruck. All they could see was the rook. If their friends were atop the spire with it, they were much too far to be viewed. The crow’s wings remained spread, but it did not take flight. Instead it moved with frantic jerks, darting its head downward in violent thrusts. Suddenly, an eerie cry, almost human in its misery, echoed across the glade. There was a blinding flash from the spire’s peak, and then the mighty rook, as if in slow motion, tumbled from the peak, seeming to fall for an eternity before it finally crashed to the ground, unmoving. A moment later the three warriors reappeared, battered and bleeding. Stevhan gripped Briar tightly, and the sword pulsed with power.
“I think we’ll be sleeping a bit more peacefully from now on,” the ranger said.

A day later (or so it seemed), the forest opened into a narrow clearing surrounded by bent, extremely broad trees. At the center of the clearing rose a strange sight…what appeared to be two dozen different houses tangled together in a semi-organized mess, forming a conglomerate building where right angles seemed unwelcome. The smoke that rose from a few of the house’s chimneys indicated that the strange structure was not abandoned. A tangled yard filled with bristly vines and thorns surrounded the cottage. An ebony-skinned hag sat rocking in a large chair on the sagging front porch of the structure, watching the approaching companions through hooded eyes.

“Don’t get many visitors these days,” the old crone cackled in greeting.
“Who are you?” Velox asked cautiously. “Are you an ally of Nyrissa?”
“So forward!” the witch laughed. “As for who I am, well that’s a long story, but you can call me the Knurly Witch. As for Nyrissa, yes, I suppose you could say we’re allies.”
“Then you are our enemy!” the oracle cried, drawing his sword as he started forward.
“Now, now,” the hag said as she rose to her feet. As she did so, her true stature was made evident. She stood well over ten-feet tall, and her nails were as long as claws. Her filed teeth glinted like steel.
“Let’s not be hasty. Do you think I’d still be alive and living here if I were Nyrissa’s enemy? It’s not like she gave me much of a choice…death, or join her cause. The decision seemed obvious at the time. Why don’t you come inside and have tea with me? We can talk more, and after, if you still feel like killing me, well then I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”
Without waiting for a response, the Knurly Witch turned and went into the house. Velox turned to Mox and raised his eyebrow questioningly.
“Go ahead,” the Queen nodded. “I’ll stay out here with Reggie. Scream if you need us.”
“I’ll be waitin’ out here to,” Tungdill folded his arms. “I ain’t one to be trustin’ witches…present company excepted.” He nodded at Selena.

Velox, Davrim, Stevhan and Selena made their way up the rickety steps and walked into the house. The interior was just as disorienting as the outside.
“In here, dearies!” the witch called from the kitchen.
They cautiously stepped in, only to find cups set out for them filled with a vile-smelling, semi-solid concoction.
“Now then,” the witch said as she sipped at her own cup. “What brings you folk so far from home?”
“We’re here to kill Nyrissa,” Velox said flatly. “Will you tell us where to find her?”
“She lives in the House at the Edge of Time,” the witch shrugged. “Shouldn’t be hard to find, but tell me, what is your grievance with the Queen?”
“She’s invaded our country,” Velox replied. “Her motives are unknown to us, but that’s beside the point. She has declared war against us, and we are answering in kind.”
“Fascinating,” the hag said distractedly.
“You don’t seem concerned that we’re going to kill your queen,” Davrim said angrily.
“Do you think you’re the first to come hunting Nyrissa?” the hag asked. “Do you think yours is the first land she’s invaded? No, and it certainly won’t be the last. You’re throwing your lives away. Why not go back to your world and then find a new country to live in? Believe me, it would be much easier.”
“That’s not going to happen,” Stevhan growled.
“If you’re not going to help us,” Velox added, “then you’re wasting our time.”
The witch waved her hand dismissively. “What can I tell you that you don’t already know? That she’s a fierce warrior who wields a scythe like a dervish? That before you ever reach her home you’ll have to face Ilthuliak, one of the most feared of the legendary great wyrms? You mortals are tiresome and tedious. You’re right, you’d probably best be on your way, but before you go, there’s something I’d like to show you.”
She turned to a cauldron bubbling over the hearth and began mumbling to herself.
“I warn you, witch,” Velox snapped, “if you are conjuring any of your foul magic, I will kill you where you stand!”
The hag ignored him and continued her incantation. The smoke from the cauldron began to swirl and coalesce into two massive shapes, and an instant later, two coal-black, hulking behemoths stood behind the companions. Velox whirled instinctively towards them, but as he turned, the witch laid one hand upon his shoulder. In that instant, his whole body was wracked by agony as ebony energy coursed through him.
“If you can’t even face me, boy,” the hag sneered, “what hope have you against the Queen?”
As his muscles began to feel like liquid, one of the conjured elementals slammed into Velox, sending him smashing through a flimsy wall. Unfortunately for the Knurly Witch, this left an opening through which Davrim and Stevhan plunged. The inquisitor’s blade was blinding in its speed. The witch was struck multiple times before she could react. She was spun completely around, and as her hands flew up to ward off further blows, Davrim lopped off three of her fingers. She screamed, black blood fountaining from the severed stumps, and as she reeled backwards, Stevhan drove Briar through her shriveled heart. She collapsed into her own cauldron, and her elementals vanished in puffs of acrid black smoke.

“What happened in there?” Mox asked as her companions carried Velox back out of the Knurly House.
“She wasn’t very forthcoming,” Davrim shrugged.
“And she made lousy tea,” Stevhan added.

If the Knurly Witch was to be believed, then all roads through Thousandbreaths led to the House at the Edge of time. This left the companions little choice but to push on as they had been for the past several days. Three more glades they passed through, each with a new and deadlier threat. The first was a smallish clearing lit by ghastly yellow-green light that emanated from dozens of female human heads that hung by their hair from spikes on the edge of a towering beehive-shaped structure. The glow came from their empty eye sockets and gaping mouths, some of which seemed to be twitching and writhing as if in pain. Before the heroes had a chance to fully register the horror of what they were seeing, they were set upon by a half-dozen of the black-pelted smilodons they had encountered at Oleg’s post where they’d faced the barbarous troll. The companions managed to beat back the big cats with little problem, but the shock of the tableau that was the hive only served to impress upon them how fortunate they had been to rescue the young noble girl from the troll when they had.

The second glade was actually somewhat beautiful. A waterfall cascaded between two immense stone hands carved from the peak of a stony cliff, tumbling into a large pool. The pool was crystal clear, its shores thick with reeds and water-flowers of dazzling hue. A number of great trees hung over the water as though trying to protect it from something above. Several large leaves the size of small boats floated near the pool’s shore. Yet, like everything else they’d encountered in the woods, it was a façade that concealed only death. No sooner had they stepped into the clearing, than a pair of the largest owlbears they’d ever seen came flying at them out of the trees. Yes…flying! The gargantuan creatures had feathered wings sprouting from their backs, and they, like the rest of the creatures, were coal black. Yet, for all their size and ferocity, Davrim and Stevhan managed to take one of them down solely with their bows, while Reggie, at Mox’s command, flew into the air to meet the second. The two beasts grappled in the sky for several savage moments before plummeting into the pool. Only Reggie emerged.

The third glade consisted of a thirty-foot high brick wall that encircled a large clearing. Within, the riot of growth continued, but as a tangle of mushrooms and fungus rather than actual leafy plants. Bulbs of brightly colored fruits the size of a man’s head hung from or grew on the trunks of many of the mushrooms, many of which twitched and pulsed as if something within were attempting to escape. The thing that immediately caught the attention of the companions, however, was the hideous, infantile mewling that filled the glade. They immediately thought of the savage mandragoras swarms they had encountered in the bloom in Kardashia. They weren’t disappointed. Hundreds upon hundreds of the horrid little creatures came out of the undergrowth, but instead of attacking, they began climbing over each other, quickly building their mass up and spreading their malleable bodies apart and together until they’d formed a single, forty-foot-tall mandragora! It took the combined magic of Selena, Mox and Velox to bring the hulking thing down, but the heroes were forced to flee the glade as thousands more of the mandragoras closed in on them from the fungi forest.

The final glade that the companions came to (though they did not know it was the last) consisted of a grassy field in which thousands of stone statues lay crumbled. At the center of the clearing rose a low but strangely round hill, atop which rose a three-hundred-foot high tower of white stone with a peak consisting of three conical rooftops. An immense archway gaped at the base of the tower, wide and tall enough for a pair of elephants to walk through side by side. The hill and structure stood before a single path that led out of the glade into the forest once more, almost like a gatehouse of some sort. Even before the heroes lifted their eyes towards the top of the spire, they knew what they would see there, for they had seen the same vision when the First World army had attacked Veritas. And there she was…Ilthuliak, the great black wyrm, already winging her way towards them.

As the dragon drew near, a cloud of mist began to form around the companions. Within seconds, it had grown to a large fog blank which completely enveloped them, and constricted around them, almost as if it were semi-solid. Worse, as the misty tendrils touched their skin, it began to burn like acid.
“Everyone scatter!” Mox shouted into the mist. “Don’t stay bunched together! We’re sitting ducks!”
Her allies didn’t need to be told twice. They all remembered when Reggie had still been alive, and had trapped them in the middle of a small, acid lake. One after another they emerged from the fog, only to see the wyrm hovering above them, her wings beating like a cyclone. Selena raised her hands above her head and a column of white fire roared into the sky, but Ilthuliak moved like a coiled serpent, wheeling away from the flames without so much as a singe. Mox sent a barrage of arcane bolts towards her, but they bounced harmlessly off her ebony scales. Cursing, she turned to Reggie and commanded him into the air. The undead dragon flapped his wings clumsily and rose towards Ilthuliak, yet though he was equal in size to the female wyrm, he was no longer the dragon he used to be. His rotting teeth bit down upon her neck, but broke off as if he’d bitten iron. Ilthuliak snorted in disgust and batted the zombie away from her like a bothersome insect.

From the ground below, Velox saw the futility of their attacks. As long as Ilthuliak stayed aloft, they would be easy prey. He had to take the attack to her. He closed his eyes and felt Iomedae’s power fill him. A pair of feathered white wings sprouted from his back and his golden helmet flashed. An instant later, he was beside the great wyrm, eye to eye. She roared, and her hot, fetid breath filled his nostrils. Her teeth snapped down on his thigh, holding him in place, and her clawed fingers moved as if she were casting a spell. A moment later, three scorching tendrils of flame struck his chest, setting his tunic ablaze. Her other claw came slashing across him, sending him tumbling away, but not before her tail slapped at him like a mighty tentacle. The oracle’s wings extended and he managed to right himself, but not Ilthuliak sent another blast of magic at him, causing him to feel his muscles weaken and his strength ebb. Still, not for nothing had Velox been chosen by Iomedae as her divine vessel. He took a moment to gather himself, and the dove towards the wyrm, his sword blazing with holy fire. The dragon struck at him, but the oracle seemed to move in a blur of speed. His blade swept across her foreleg, opening a deep gash. She drew away, but before she could get clear, Velox struck again…and again! He nearly severed one of her wings with one strike, and with the next, the sheer force of his blow sent Ilthuliak tumbling away from him. She shrieked in pain and fear as Velox drove at her again and buried his sword in her throat. She spun almost lazily to the ground as she died, and just like that, the way to the House at the Edge of Time lay open.

Abciximab

Explorer
Thanks, you guys! I really do appreciate your feedback. I enjoy writing the SH's, though occasionally, I get a bit of writer's block. After Kingmaker, we're actually going to be starting Serpent's Skull, wherein our heroes will all be well and truly...EVIL!! Some of them will even have ties to events in Kingmaker!

Uh, oh. I'm currently a player in a Serpent Skull Campaign... Might have to wait a while to read it if there is a SH. It's good so far, I think we're about to wrap book 1.

My character in Serpent Skull is from the kingdom that was built in our Kingmaker Campaign.

Last edited:

JollyDoc

Explorer
Uh, oh. I'm currently a player in a Serpent Skull Campaign... Might have to wait a while to read it if there is a SH. It's good so far, I think we're about to wrap book 1.

My character in Serpent Skull is from the kingdom that was built in our Kingmaker Campaign.

It's funny you say that, because there is going to be one VERY important link back to Kingmaker in our Serpent's Skull campaign. And speaking of that...OMG! Last night we officially wrapped Kingmaker and the one-shot high-level adventure after. Let me just say...Kardashia is NEVER going to be the same!

JollyDoc

Explorer
THE HOUSE AT THE EDGE OF TIME

At the heart of Thousandbreaths lay the House at the Edge of Time. It sat at the center of an isle in a large lake atop a mesa. On one side, it overlooked a panorama of the forest itself, while the other side looked out over time and space…an endless gulf of stars and blackness. The lake spilled over the edge of the mesa in two places, to the left and right, forming the twin nameless rivers that framed Thousandbreaths and eventually met again at the Whirling Lake. The House appeared to be accessible via a long stone causeway that connected its island to the mesa’s edge. A gatehouse flanked by towers guarded the entrance beyond the bridge, while in the courtyard beyond, tall dark trees rose and rustled in the constant soft breeze. Hundreds of windows stared out of the House itself, and stone angels hung from every gable. The outline of the structure was as beautiful as it was dangerous, with knife-like crenellations, spear-topped towers, and eaves and shingles made of blades.

The companions started across the causeway, fully aware that their every move was no doubt being observed, but resigned to their course just the same. Sure enough, when they had reached roughly the halfway point, the waters of the lake exploded upward in a geyser as a huge form erupted into the sky. At least superficially, the enormous creature resembled a dragon, save that it had two heads and flew despite the fact that it had no wings.
“I am Tarlaxian, the Linnorm of the Lake!” the monster roared. “My Lady bids you both welcome and farewell! She is honored that you have come so far, yet saddened that your journey has been for naught, for it ends here!”
‘I am with you,’ Stevhan heard Briar’s voice in his mind.
He had been steadily feeling the sword’s power grow ever since they had entered Thousandbreaths, as if it were preparing for this final confrontation. He felt as if he and the blade were becoming one on some level. Gripping the hilt firmly in both hands, he raced across the causeway. One of Tarlaxian’s heads snapped at him as he came, and as its teeth pierced his flesh, they burned like acid. He could feel his flesh dissolving beneath the wound, yet he did not falter. He dodged the second head and drove forward with Briar. The enchanted blade pierced the linnorm’s scaly chest as if it was naked skin, and the creature didn’t merely roar in agony, it literally shrieked. Tarlaxian pawed at his chest, wrenching the sword free as he recoiled. Then, both maws opened simultaneously and spewed great gouts of acid towards the heroes. Stevhan was still too close, and so it was Davrim and Velox who took the brunt of the blasts, though Davrim’s cat-like reflexes allowed him to avoid the worst of them. Mox was also caught in the spray, but the sorceress’s own draconic bloodline rendered her impervious to the caustic flood. Velox, who’d been in mid-charged, was forced to his knees by the deluge. Behind him, Tungdill rose into the air in his cyclonic, elemental form. As he did so, lightning churned within the vortex, growing in intensity until it lanced out in a massive storm bolt. Tarlaxian went rigid as the bolt struck, conducted even more quickly through his body by virtue of the fact that part of him was still in contact with the lake. Davrim took that moment to move in closer. Bow in hand, he fired two rapid shots. One of the arrows flew straight through the wound Briar had already opened, and managed to puncture one of the linnorm’s lungs. Tarlaxian wheezed as he coughed out a fountain of blood from one of his throats. Davrim dropped his bow as he ran forward, drawing his sword simultaneously. The linnorm tried to head him off, whipping his serpentine tail at the inquisitor’s legs. Davrim leaped over it, and slashed both of Tarlaxian’s throats as he landed. The two-headed linnorm sank silently back into the lake, the water turning crimson as he vanished beneath the surface.

At the far end of the causeway, the shining gatehouse barred entry into the courtyard of the large building with a lowered portcullis. In the walls above, arrow slits leered down while a solid smooth wall some forty feet high extended away from the gatehouse in both directions to two more towers. Davrim showed no hesitation in marching up to the lowered gate and grasping the bars in his gloved hand. Instantly, the iron began to dissolve, leaving a hole large enough for a man to pass through.

“Nice job, boy,” Tungdill said dryly, “but I think them fellas ain’t too impressed.”
Davrim moved back towards his companions and followed their gaze up towards the battlements. Standing silently atop the wall were no less than a dozen figures. At first glance, they looked like elves. They were clad in black leather armor, and bore rapiers at their hips. But the unnatural green glow that each one emanated, not to mention the translucency of their flesh, revealed them to be something far more sinister. The house guards had once been members of an ancient elven community that formerly dwelled in the Stolen Lands, but they were abducted and executed by Nyrissa in a foul ritual that transformed their souls into undead minions enslaved to the nymph’s every whim. Now, as they gazed down upon the trespassers into their Queen’s domain, their only imperative was to snuff the lives of the intruders just as theirs had been so long ago. In unison, their mouths yawned wide, and a mournful wailing filled the air.
“Well that’ll be enough of that!” Tungdill growled.
The druid waved his hand, and a curtain of fire erupted along the battlements, engulfing over half of the ghostly soldiers. Their keening became piercing as the arcane fire burned even their incorporeal flesh.
“I completely agree,” Mox said. “I prefer to announce my presence in my own way.”
A glowing, transparent sword appeared in her hand, which she then flung towards the battlements. It flew straight and true, and seemed to take on a life of its own as it reached the ghosts and began to hack into them as if they were still alive and hale.

Velox’s eyes clouded over, but instead of turning towards the spirit guardians, he instead looked past the portcullis to the courtyard, where something else had caught his attention. Without a word, he ran through the gate, his sword in hand. Davrim and Stevhan watched him go, then looked at one another questioningly. They glanced back at their other friends.
“You think they can handle this?” Davrim asked.
Stevhan smiled as he looked at his wife. “I think they’ve got it covered.”
The inquisitor nodded, and then the two warriors followed their general into the courtyard. They didn’t get far until they saw exactly what had drawn Velox’s eye. The large courtyard was a two-tiered region covered with thick grass. Paths wound to and from various doors, and a single, wide flight of stairs allowed easy access to the courtyard’s second tier, where several towering oak trees loomed over the main body of the house. Atop the second tier, something massive had awakened. Resembling an enormous lizard composed entirely of organic matter, the beast shook loose soil from its earthy wings and exhaled dirt particles with every breath.
“Gods…,” Stevhan breathed. “It’s a zomok! I never believed they existed!”
“Well believe it now!” Davrim shouted. “What in the Hells is it?”
“They’re also called plant dragons,” the ranger replied. “They are said to be defenders of nature, but they are not choosey about how or whom they defend it from.”
As if in response, the zomok opened its gaping maw and exhaled a blast of flying dirt, bark, stones and moss that completely engulfed the three warriors.

Back outside the courtyard walls, the spectral warriors had launched their counterattack. En masse, they leaped from the battlements and drifted down to the ground. They landed all around Mox, Selena and Tungdill, and as soon as they did so, they reached out their long-nailed fingers and began to touch the companions. Each touch was like a jolt of electricity as it caressed the skin of the living. Mox flung herself away from the spirits, breathe acid on them as she withdrew, but the creatures moved with incredible swiftness and managed to avoid the brunt of the spew. Tungdill chose fire for his defense, weaving a snake of flames that wound among the dead elves, giving them pause and buying him a few precious seconds.

Velox, Davrim and Stevhan finally managed to extricate themselves from the debris field created by the zomok’s breath, but by that time, the creature was bearing down on them. Velox extended his palm and a blast of searing light hammered into the plant dragon. It roared in fury, enraged by the use of its ancient nemesis fire. Stevhan charged forward, Briar glowing brightly. As he struck, the mystic blade flared even brighter, and where it carved into the zomok’s plant-like hide, the vegetation simply shriveled and died. The beast roared again, striking out blindly in its pain. One rock-like claw opened a large gash across Stevhan’s chest, but as he spun away from the attack, Davrim and Velox charged in. The oracle struck, and his sword tore a rent completely through one of the zomok’s wings, while Davrim thrust and slashed repeatedly with his own blade. The zomok spewed forth its terrible breath once more, but by that time, the trio was widely separated, and it could not bring the full fury of the blast to bear upon them all. Stevhan struck one last time, and Briar unleashed its blight a second time. The zomok howled piteously as it collapsed upon itself and died.

At the gate, a life and death struggle still raged. Tungdill and the sorceresses had managed to destroy a few of the ghosts through a combination of Mox’s arcane sword, magic missile barrages from Selena, and unrelenting blasts of fire from the druid himself. Still, every touch by the spirits sucked a little more life out of the trio. Then, in the next moment, Velox, Davrim and Stevhan charged back through the portcullis. Stevhan saw his wife surrounded by spectral elves, and charged blindly in. Mox saw his mistake, and his danger immediately. Though the ranger was heavily armored, this counted as nothing to the ghosts, whose hands could pass through metal as easily as water. Mox had only just barely been holding her own thanks to the mystic enchantments she wove about herself each day. Now, as the spirits turned their attention on Stevhan, they struck him at will, beating him to the ground in a matter of seconds. Mox rushed to his side and grabbed him by the arm. A moment later, they vanished in a flash of light. Meanwhile, Davrim and Velox waded into the melee, and though their swords were only partially able to touch the incorporeal bodies of the spirits, it was more than enough. In short order, the tide of battle turned. Within a matter of minutes the last of the ghosts had been dispatched, and the way forward was clear.

Velox and Mox agreed that the front door to the house was a much too obvious a choice. Instead, they entered the gatehouse, and from there they were able to get into one of the towers, and then inside the inner walls themselves. The rooms and chambers they passed through were a mind-numbing study in contrasts. While one room was clean and bright, with liveried spectral servants and gaiety, another was collapsing and decayed. Some chambers had been damaged by the arrival of the heroes who slew Nyrissa yesterday, and would also do so tomorrow in that world of the impossible. Yet as strange as the warpings were, stranger still was the fact that they remained constant, as if a storm of fractured time had torn through the structure, only to be frozen forever in the middle of a chaos of a hundred different eras.

They came to a room that was dominated by a domed cage, its verdigris-encrusted surface caked with mud. A black bear stood lifelessly within they cage. A rubble-choked hall extended from one side of the room. It was yet another in a series of bizarre tableaus, but as the companions passed through the chamber, the bear lumbered onto its hind legs and began a slow, but strangely graceful dance, made all the more grotesque by the fact that the bear was obviously dead. Though disconcerting, it seemed ultimately harmless, and so they ignored it, as they’d done all the other strangeness they’d seen thus far.

A small door at the far side of the room gave onto a richly decorated, cathedral-like chamber that appeared to be almost new. Turquoise tiles adorned the walls, with a false gallery hanging some ten feet above the tiled floor. An ornate wooden bridge crossed the chamber thirty feet above the floor, connecting doors on the building’s second floor. Incredible paintings covered the ceiling, depicting animals in sylvan scenes. The first scene showed a wolf in a forest with a child’s severed hand clenched in its jaws. The second depicted a great viper approaching a crib, while the third showed a huge bear stalking a mother and child. An archway decorated with a scene of a dragon eating a mounted knight at one end of the room opened to a great iron spiral staircase leading upward, while at the other end of the hall sat a regal throne made of marble shot through with green veins. Two statues of beautiful women wielding upraised swords stood behind the throne, while a long purple carpet ran the length of the room. Numerous chairs and benches lined the walls.

Kneeling before the throne was the most beautiful creature the companions had ever seen…so much so that it was actually painful to look upon him. Superficially, he looked like a human male, but he was at least seven-feet-tall when he rose to his feet, and large, feathered white wings grew naturally from his shoulders. He wore a full-length white robe, and had a great-sword belted at his waist.
“You shouldn’t be here,” he said in a voice like crystalline wind chimes. “You do not understand the affairs in which you meddle.”
“He’s…a deva!” Velox exclaimed. “A member of the angelic choir!”
“Precisely,” the angel replied. “So my presence here should tell you that there are powers in play here that are beyond your ability to comprehend.”
“Then explain it to us,” Mox said coldly. “Explain why the Powers would deign to concern themselves with the doings of mere mortals such as us. Why would the Heavens want to participate in the destruction of our kingdom?”
“You have been warned,” the angel said, his voice iron, his face darkening.
“Davrim,” Mox turned to the inquisitor, “what do you sense?”
Davrim focused his attention on the deva, attempting to read his aura.
“He’s pure,” Davrim acknowledged. “He is what he appears to be.”
“Then he’s been ensorcelled,” Mox said. “Tungdill, can you dispel the enchantment?”
“I’ll give it a try,” the dwarf shrugged.
He spoke a few guttural words, and power radiated from him in a wave.
“That will be enough of that!” the angel roared. “I have offered you mercy and your lives, but I will tolerate no assault upon my person! You shall not be allowed to interfere here further!”
The angel waved his hand and a wall of whirling blades appeared out of thin air. Tungdill cried out as the steel shards tore into his flesh. Selena and Davrim leaped aside just in time, ending up separated from their companions.
“That’s proof enough!” Mox shouted. “He’s another of Nyrissa’s pawns! Destroy him!”

Mox hurled a blistering bombardment of arcane bolts at the angel, but the missiles were deflected by some unseen force before they ever came near him. Simultaneously, Selena unleashed a lance of destructive power, but an almost casual wave of the deva’s hand dissipated the spell in mid-air. Suddenly, a massive explosion of fire detonated in the center of the throne room, engulfing Selena, Tungdill and Mox.
“That didn’t come from the deva!” Davrim shouted. “Velox, do something!”
The oracle was lost in his battle trance, but he was already ahead of the half-orc. He wove a spell, and a ripple of magic emanated from him, intended to reveal anything hidden or invisible within the chamber. There, hovering some twenty feet above the throne, a strange figure was revealed. It looked like nothing so much as a swarm of scarlet worms that maintained the general shape of a man clothed in black robes.
“By the Old Crone…!” Selena breathed from where she lay on the floor, her gown still smoldering. “A worm-that-walks! I’ve only ever heard of one in existence, and that was the arch-mage Kyuss, but he was destroyed decades ago!”
The Wriggling Man, as the creature was called, did not recall his life before his death, save that he was once a powerful human wizard who had come to the First World for a now-forgotten mission. That he failed in this mission seemed obvious, for it was after his failure and death that his mind and spirit infested the worms that fed upon his rotten remains, and he was reborn. He now served as Nyrissa’s personal advisor, and his mistress had tasked him with stopping the bearers of Briar at all costs.
“Whatever it is,” Mox hissed, “I’ll bet it still burns!”
She opened her mouth, and her eyes became slitted and yellow as she breathed a blast of acid at the worm thing. To her utter amazement, the mass of writhing worms seemed to split, allowing the acid blast to pass harmlessly through its mass. The Wriggling Man was preparing to retaliate, when Velox abruptly appeared in the air beside him. In an eye blink, the mage turned his assault on the oracle, blasting him first with ribbons of scorching fire, and then sending a shimmering bean of green energy at him. When the ray touched Velox, it simply dissolved a sizeable chunk of flesh from his arm. For a moment, his battle trance flickered as the incredible pain registered in his psyche, but then Iomedae seized him once more.

Davrim still had his eye on the angel. He simply could not wrap his mind around the possibility that a divine servant could be willingly serving evil. As he approached the deva, the angel drew his blade and charged towards him. Davrim blocked the blow…barely, but he felt the impact down to his toes. He countered and swung his own blade in a low arc, but at the last instant, he flipped the sword so that it was the flat that struck the deva. The angel leaped into the air, and Davrim swiped at him again, but his momentum carried him over the blade barrier and out of the inquisitor’s reach.

Tungdill, his skin screaming from cuts and burns, hauled himself to his feet. He reached out a hand to help Selena to hers as well.
“So what do you know about that critter?” he nodded towards the Wriggling Man. “What’s it take to kill’im?”
“It’s a composite creature,” the witch replied, “so it does no good to attack him as you would an individual. You must use magic that engulfs him as a whole.”
“Gotcha,” the dwarf nodded. “Like this?”
With a word, he conjured a column of white fire beneath the Wriggling Man. The mage groaned as pain filled him for the first time in as long as he could remember.
“Yes, exactly like that,” Selena smiled. “This might work as well.”
She crossed two fingers and a bolt of lightning arced through the air. The Wriggling Man’s body jittered and shook, and then suddenly, he simply vanished.”

Velox looked about him in all directions, trying to see if the mage had simply adjusted his position. Instead he saw the deva closing in on an unsuspecting Mox and Stevhan. The oracle darted down towards the floor and landed directly in front of the angel, who immediately raised his sword to strike. Though full in the throes of his battle trance, Velox to could not bring himself to kill the being. Instead, he looped his own blade under the angel’s and stripped it from his hand, sending it flying several yards away. The deva didn’t stop. He darted around the oracle and made for the door through which the companions had first entered the throne room. There in the doorway was the dead, dancing bear, still cavorting mindlessly. Before Velox could register what was happening, the angel slammed his fist into the bear’s chest, and as he did so, the bear exploded in a massive conflagration that filled the entire throne room. Velox threw himself to the floor, and the bulk of the blast passed over him. He then surged to his feet and threw himself at the deva, hammering the pommel of his sword into the back of the angel’s skull. The being collapsed, stunned.

“He’s still here somewhere,” Velox spoke, though his words were in tongues. “I can sense him.”
He moved towards a set of doors at the far side of the chamber as his companions struggled to regain their composure from the explosion. Throwing open the doors revealed a short hallway with more doors opening off either side. Moving quickly, Velox opened the nearest portal. The walls of the high-ceilinged room beyond were fractured, and the elements had rushed in. The chamber had clearly once been some sort of washroom with stone walls and numerous tubs, but the place was currently a shambles. As Velox was pulling the door shut again, he saw the debris in the room begin to shift, moving up into the air, seemingly of its own accord, in a spiraling column. Within moments, three more such columns were forming, and it was only then that the oracle realized what he was seeing, for he’d seen something similar ever since he’d known Tungdill. They were air elementals…big ones. He slammed the door shut again, but it was already too late. As he sprinted back towards the throne room, the doors blew open behind him as first one, then another of the elementals emerged into the hallway, fast on his heels.
“Watch out!” he shouted a warning in the tongue of the Celestials to his allies.
Tungdill turned at the sound of his voice, and his eyes went wide as the first of the elementals roared into the throne room. The whirling vortex caught the dwarf before he knew what was happening, and slammed him into a wall…hard. He both heard and felt his ribs snap, and he knew from his sudden inability to breathe properly that he’d most likely punctured a lung. Velox turned and ran back to help his friend. Davrim at his side. The pair hit the elemental like a force of nature unto themselves, and within seconds, their flashing blades shredded the creature. That didn’t prevent the second elemental from blowing into the chamber like a miniature cyclone. Cursing, Velox conjured a firewall across the doorway, hoping to prevent the other two from following. Mox exhaled a blast of acid on the outsider, and at the same time Tungdill, still wheezing from his injury, sent a bolt of lightning into the elemental, burning it to a cinder from the inside out.

From the shadows on the far side of the throne room, the Wriggling Man watched the melee with amusement. He loathed the elementals. They had torn him apart on more than one occasion in a most embarrassing manner. Now, however, they were occupying the mortals nicely. He stepped into the room and began weaving a spell. An arc of electricity leaped from his hands to Mox, and then bounced to each of the other intruders in turn. If he had a mouth, the mage would have smiled.

“Selena! Tungdill!” Mox cried out as she struggled to get her muscles back under control after the electric jolt. “Follow my lead!”
The Queen returned her own lightning bolt at the Wriggling Man, and in rapid succession, Selena hurled twin fireballs, and Tungdill conjured another column of fire. The worm-that-walked shrieked and writhed as his body was consumed. Davrim and Velox charged him, and began hacking pieces off of him as he burned.
“Stand aside!” Mox commanded, and when the two warriors moved, she breathed fire as hot as magma upon the Wriggling Man, dissolving him into a pile of ash.

Velox moved to his fire wall, and when Davrim and Stevhan nodded their readiness, he dispelled the barrier. When the remaining two elementals rushed out, the warriors were ready, and it was only a matter of moments for them to completely destroy the outsiders. It was only when calm and quiet had returned to the chamber, that the companions noticed that the deva was gone.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Leave it to our guys to fight everything at once :)

Awesome fight folks - an excellent update, thank you!

The next update, which I hope to post by this weekend, will be the finale of Kingmaker. Then, I have one more post for our add-on Legacy of the Witchwar one-shot(the outcome of which has to be seen to be believed). After that are the epilogues. We just started our new Serpent's Skull campaign last night. PC's so far include a half-Orc Hellknight summoner, a half-Orc alchemist, a half-Orc priest of the Whispering Way, a female half-Orc bard, a half- Orc barbarian, and a human magus. Stay tuned!!

Remove ads