JollyDoc's Rise of the Runelords...Updated 12/22

JollyDoc

Explorer
One door closes so that another may open. Come with us once more, loyal friends and readers, as we meet a new band of heroes, the Sandpoint Seven, in a brave, and dangerous new world...

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Luther Asclepius: a young priest originally cloistered at Windsong Abbey, Luther was sent to assist pastor Abstalar Zantus with the details leading up to the dedication of the new Sandpoint cathedral during the upcoming Swallowtail Festival. During his stay in Sandpoint, Luther has made the acquaintance of Hannah Velerin, and has helped the healer in her ministrations to the sick and needy. It is the young priest’s ambition to someday found a true hospital in the town to care for the indigent.

Dexter St. Jacques: originally from Magnimar, his father was an armorer of some repute, while his mother was a seamstress. Alas, his mother died while he was still a boy, yet within just a few months, his father had moved a new woman into their home…a woman already with child. Angered by his father’s betrayal and infidelity, Dexter left home in disgust. He made his way on the city streets as so many other children did, by slight of hand and petty thievery. In time, with his full growth, he grew weary of living hand-to-mouth and sought out more honest work as a caravan guard, making the run from Magnimar up the Lost Coast Road numerous times. It was during this tenure that he perfected his skills with the bow, lacking the sheer size and mass of the swordsmen within the ranks. There were times, however, when he sorely missed those aptitudes, such as the night he found himself on the bad side of the jilted lover of a barmaid whose acquaintance he’d made. That was how he’d first met Skud…

Skud: born from the tragic rape of a Shoanti woman by a marauding orc band, the half-breed was cast out from his mother’s tribe when his heritage became apparent. He was never even given a name, since he was to be abandoned in the wilds and not expected to live. Yet survive he did, by instinct, strength, and ultimately, savagery. He called himself Skud, and through the years, he found that, though obviously repulsed by him, there were those willing to pay for his services, namely his sword arm. It was while drinking heavily in a bar in Magnimar, that he became involved in a brawl when a local tough bumped his arm, causing him to spill his tankard of rot gut. Several seconds later, with the thug battered and bleeding on the floor, Skud experienced the first act of kindness he’d ever known. A scrawny human who been the original object of the bully’s ire, shook his hand, thanked him, and bought him another drink. Thus, a friendship was formed.

Wesh Baltar: Varisian, and a native of Sandpoint, Wesh came early to the attention of Niska Mvashti, an old and respected seer among the traveling folk. It was the boy’s aptitude for magic that first attracted Madame Mvashti, and she took him under her tutelage as both teacher and mentor. Yet the world of books and scrolls could not hold Wesh’s full attention, and he would ditch his studies whenever possible to wander the hills and woods around Sandpoint, miming the skills he’d seen the rangers use to make their way in the wilds. Despite these urges, Wesh ultimately had no real ability for the martial arts, though he was better than average with a blade. Thus, he was thrilled, and found renewed interest in his arcane studies when he realized that he could use magic to accomplish the same thing as the warriors. Though Madame Mvashti attempted to school him in all the elements of magic, Wesh had little interest in anything beyond the ability to summon spectacular and destructive spells. Ultimately, he left the seer’s tutelage, and set himself up as Sandpoint’s only taxidermist, since his skill with force magic allowed him to hunt and kill animals without leaving a mark.

Rico Leaflair: a half-elven druid and self-appointed guardian of Mosswood, until events beyond his control forcef him to take on a larger world view and leave his beloved home in order to save it.

Randall Deschaine: one-time member of Sandpoint's town guard, until, while drunk, he got into an altercation with his superior officer, Belor Hemlock, and struck him. Stripped of his rank, he was banished from the town in disgrace. Now he seeks only to redeem his honor, even if he has to die doing it.

Brother Adso: a half-orc of unknown parentage, he was abandoned on the steps of Windsong Abbey as an infant. He was raised with a strict hand, the priests determined to break the orc in him, bring him up in the faith of the noble gods and turn the tragedy of his conception into the the triumph of reason over violence. However, Adso was somewhat typical of his kind, strong of arm, yet weak of tongue; quick of foot but slow of thought. His most primal instincts warred with the priests' restrictions, until finally, one of his mentors tried a different approach...enlightening Adso in the ways of the monastic. In this he proved a quick study, allowing the physical rigors of training to serve as an outlet for his natural aggression. He finally achieved balance in his life and found his true calling.

The Reaper: A mysterious servant of Pharasma who lurks in the shadows behind the shadows. His duty is to root out the evils with which the church cannot sully their hands. It is a lonely road, but he has found companions to walk it with him. Will he be their savior, or their doom?

Maximillian Grobaras: The illegitimate son of a Magnimarian nobleman and a Varisian dancer, Max's heritage could not be denied by his father, but it could be kept in the closet with the other family skeletons. Unwelcome by his father's people, and scorned by his mother's, Max now shuns the life he always thought he wanted, and instead seeks solace and purpose in exile.

Last edited:

EroGaki

First Post
Yay!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you all handle this first module. Me and mine are almost finished with the first one.

Zanticor

First Post
I got hooked on the Jollydoc train way back when you were running the Age of Worm and still can't leave your treads alone. Praise and thanks from a long time fan. Keep up the good work so I can continue to use your stories as an inspiration for my own games (I recently beheaded one of my players dwarfs with a TC clone).

Greeting,
Zanticor

Abciximab

Explorer
Could you tell us who is playing who or do we get to figure that out as things progress? :D

For some reason I was expecting a Halfling mage who had just finished an apprenticeship.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Abciximab said:
Could you tell us who is playing who or do we get to figure that out as things progress? :D

For some reason I was expecting a Halfling mage who had just finished an apprenticeship.

Thank you all for your kind words. Believe it or not, though I was becoming a bit burned out since completing Savage Tide, in just the few short weeks since, I have found myself missing this process, and was positively eager to start in on the next installment. I hope you all find it entertaining, and the guys are mixing it up a bit with their choices of characters this time around....

Luther, a cleric who will eventually go Apostle of Peace, is being played by Joachim...not a stretch for him, but a long way from Mandi.

Dexter is being played by a new player to our group, Greg, but some of you may remember a certain feral human by the name of Sabertooth way back in the early days of AoW. Welcome back Greg!

Skud is being played by Minkster, Sepoto's player. No Book of Nine Swords this time. Just good, old-fashioned barbarian crunch!

Wesh, an aspiring force-missile mage, is being played by, wait for it, Tower Cleaver's player!! Quite a departure there!

Three of our players were absent this past week, but their players will be introduced this coming weekend...I won't spoil it, but Daelric's player is not playing a cleric, Marius's character is not playing a mage, and Octurus's player is not playing a warrior...

LordVyreth

First Post
So how is Pathfinder? Obviously you like it more than 4th ed, but how do you think it is compared to 3.5? That is, if Paizo released two story paths, one for Pathfinder and one for 3.5, assuming the adventures' quality were the same, which would you be playing? What are the big differences you've found so far?

Minkster

First Post
LordVyreth said:
So how is Pathfinder? Obviously you like it more than 4th ed, but how do you think it is compared to 3.5? That is, if Paizo released two story paths, one for Pathfinder and one for 3.5, assuming the adventures' quality were the same, which would you be playing? What are the big differences you've found so far?

Well I like Pathfinder for the simple fact For the first time in a long time I want to play a Core Race and a Core Class. We would probally Do Pathfinder atleast I think that is the general consensus around the table
anyway.

Remove ads