• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Rise of the Runelords...Updated 12/22

JollyDoc

Explorer
LordVyreth said:
Those were some interesting goblins. I guess all the "so, what do you do with orc/goblin/kobold babies" debates have numbed me to the idea of them as aggressive attackers. The only named goblin in my campaign was evil but clever, not only willing to negotiate with the party but inviting him to try out his sauna afterward! (Long story.) Or did the Pathfinder book make goblins dumber and/or more steps towards always evil?

Pathfinder actually came out with a supplement which put a whole new spin on several old monsters, such as goblins, bugbears, gnolls, orcs, ogres and trolls. They go into a lot of great detail, and basically are saying they want monsters to be monsters, not just misunderstood misanthropes. I've only posted about half of our session so far, and hope to get the rest up in the next few days. You have yet to see how nasty goblins can be...

Dr Simon

Explorer
I really like the Pathfinder goblins - they're something like the original Gremlins, with a visual touch of evil child's toy about them.

I shall follow this path with interest - I got too far behind with the Savage Tide to keep up.

JollyDoc

Explorer
The following day, the cathedral’s consecration was completed, albeit with a much more subdued, indoor ceremony. Luther assisted Father Zantus as best he could, and then pitched in to deliver the final rites to the (thankfully few) dead. Father Zantus was grateful for the help, but was still shocked and subdued by the previous day’s tragedy. After the most pressing duties were attended to, Luther decided to give the older priest some time alone and planned on paying a visit to Hannah Velerin to see if he might be of further use there.

By nature, Luther was a quiet and reserved young man, having spent the bulk of his life cloistered within Windsong Abbey. He was devout and pious to a fault, but because of that he tended to also be a bit naïve about more worldly matters. Thus, he had already walked several blocks before he began to notice the feeling that he was being watched. He looked around and saw that not just one person, but several were staring after him, pointing and whispering. Most of them gave him a broad grin and a friendly wave when he caught their eye, and at one point the local baker, Alma Avertin hustled out into the street as he passed her store and pressed a fresh-baked loaf into his arms.
“Look at you!” she chided. “You’re skin and bones! Eat, padre, eat!”
Before he could politely decline her gift, he felt a tug on his sleeve from behind. Turning, he found himself face-to-face with an attractive young woman who blinked prettily at him. Behind her, a group of girls giggled and whispered behind their hands.
“Hello, father,” the woman said smiling brightly. “I’m Shayliss Vinder.”
“Ven’s daughter?” Luther asked, recognizing the surname. “The proprietor of the general store?”
“Yes, that’s me,” Shayliss sighed, “though you’d hardly know I was his daughter by the way he ignores me, so distracted is he by my sister Katrine these days.”
Luther thought he’d heard some rumor or other about the merchant’s older daughter being involved in a scandal surrounding one of the young men who worked at the lumber mill. The young priest tried to avoid such gossip and paid it little heed.
“Yes, well…” he stammered, clearing his throat. “What is it that I can do for you?”
At that, the gaggle of girls began giggling even more loudly.
Shayliss batted her eyes again. “You see,” she said, a pretty pout on her face, “my father’s been so caught up that he hasn’t been able to stay on top of our store’s pest problem. We have rats. Big ones. Why just yesterday, I’m sure I saw one the size of a goblin hiding behind a barrel at the far end of the basement. But then, you’re used to dealing with goblins from what I heard. My father doesn’t believe me, so I thought maybe you could come back with me and help me with my…problem.”
More giggling from the girls. Luther’s face flushed and his collar suddenly felt too tight.
“I…I’m sure I’m not the right person for such a task,” he answered. “Surely you know others more adept at dealing with vermin.”
“Oh I don’t know,” Shayliss said coyly, twisting one dark ringlet around her finger. “You seemed quite…capable yesterday.”
“I’m afraid than any tales of my heroics have been greatly exaggerated,” Luther said quietly. “I regret that I can’t be of greater help to you, but I’m certain if you explain the situation to your father, he’ll understand.”
Shayliss rolled her eyes and threw up her hands.
“Honestly! How can men be so dense?” she snapped. “ Never mind, I’ll take care of my ‘problem’ some other way!”
She turned on her heel and walked off in a huff, casting a last baleful glance over her shoulder as she rejoined her friends.

Luther wasn’t the only one who found himself the center of notoriety. Wesh found his shop filled with potential clients the day after the attack, and a line forming out the door. Some enterprising individuals had actually brought along several goblin carcasses as well as the corpse of one of the foul dog-like creatures, and practically begged the taxidermist/mage to create a diorama for them, one bearing his personal seal. The price offered was more than generous. Later, as he took his daily constitutional around town, it seemed everyone he came across fancied themselves his closest friend, rushing up to shake his hand, or offering him outlandish discounts to patronize their stores, and perhaps sign an endorsement for them. Word had spread fast of the exploits of four ‘heroes of Sandpoint,’ and Wesh was thoroughly enjoying his newfound fame, fleeting though he knew it might be.

The following evening, when the wizard walked into the common room of the Rusty Dragon, he saw Dex and Skud…well…mostly Dex, holding court in the center of the bar, telling the tale of their daring to a rapt audience. Several empty tankards stood on the bar near at hand, and each time another was drained, one of the crowd was quick to buy them a refill. Near the edge of the gathering stood Lord Foxglove, nodding enthusiastically at Dex’s words, and occasionally embellishing the story with a few details of his own.
“What’s going on?” Luther said, causing Wesh to momentarily start. He’d not heard the young priest come in.
“The price of fame, my friend,” Wesh smiled. “Best get used to it.”

By the time the story had been told a third time, the number of goblins slain had risen to the dozens, and there might have even been orcs or hobgoblins among them.
“Alright, gents,” Ameiko Kaijitsu chided as she cleared the tower of glasses that was accumulating on her bar. “That’s enough tall tales for now. These boys have business to tend to.” A chorus of moans and grumbles greeted her proclamation. “Now, now,” she said, raising her voice, “you’ll all have plenty of time to buy the heroes another round. After all, they’ll be staying here as my personal guests for as long as they like!”
Cheers erupted, and the crowed slowly dispersed, with many backslaps for Dex and Skud (along with the occasional barmaid’s name and address). Ameiko then led them and Lord Foxglove, along with Wesh and Luther, to a private table near the back of the hall, already set with trays of steaming food. Skud felt as if he’d died and moved on to the hereafter. He’d never even slept under a roof before, much less partaken of fair such as was laid in front of him.
“Eat,” Aldern encouraged them. “There’s more where that came from.”
They all set too with enthusiasm, although Luther was a bit more reserved than his companions, only taking small portions of the food, and not indulging in the ale at all. After they’d had their fill, Aldern lit up a small pipe and nodded appreciatively.
“Nothing like a good smoke after a fine meal,” he said, reclining. “I owe you four my life, and the meal is just a token of my gratitude. As promised, you shall also receive a more…tangible reward.”
He reached inside his tunic and drew out a heavy bag that jingled enticingly as he laid it on the table.
“I’ll be returning to Magnimar in a few more days,” he continued, “but I was hoping to get in some boar hunting in the Tickwood before I leave. I would be honored if you would accompany me as my guests.”
Wesh nodded enthusiastically. After all, he was a taxidermist, and he hadn’t had a good boar specimen in quite some time. Dex and Skud were just as eager. Only Luther looked…less than overjoyed.
“My lord,” the young priest said quietly, “though I appreciate your offer, I find the killing of innocent creatures for sport repugnant. I must also decline your monetary offer, though I would be happy to distribute my portion among the town’s needy.”
Aldern looked momentarily taken aback, and Wesh rolled his eyes, but the nobleman’s face quickly broke into a smile.
“A man of principle,” he grinned. “I admire that! Tell you what…if you accompany us tomorrow, I promise to take the bulk of our kills and have the meat prepared as a feast for your town’s poor. Will that suffice?”
Luther was caught off-guard by the generosity of Lord Foxglove, and nodded quickly. The priest was nothing if not driven, however, and he made another request while the noble was in such a giving frame of mind.
“The needs of the people here run deep, my Lord,” he began. “It is my dearest hope to one day be able to provide a proper hospital for them, one where they would not have to worry about having enough coin to pay for good health. Perhaps my Lord, or his peers in Magnimar might see fit to make a donation to such a cause?”
Aldern laughed out loud. “You are quite deceptive, father! You’re not as reserved as you would have us believe, are you? Very well then. I shall take your request back to Magnimar. I’m sure I can find a few kind-hearted philanthropists.”
“Thank you, my Lord,” Luther bowed.

Just then, there was a commotion near the front door. A woman had entered, clutching a baby to her chest with one hand and clinging to the back of a young boy’s shirt with another. Tears streaked her face. Wesh recognized her as Amele Barett, the wife of Alergast, a local farmer. He rose from the table and pushed his way through the crowd. When Amele saw him, a look of fearful hope came to her eyes.
“Master Baltar,” she said, “please, you must help me! You and your friends!”
“What is it, Amele?” Wesh asked, soothingly. “Tell me what’s happened?”
“It’s Aeren,” she said, nodding to the boy. “We were at the festival when the…the attack came. Poor Aeren saw one of those brutes light a cat on fire and then caper around its burning remains. He hasn’t been himself since. For the past two nights, his howls of terror have sent our dog, Petal, into a barking fit, and when Alergast and I came to see, he told us he’d seen a goblin in his closet! Well, Alergast checked, of course, and found nothing, yet Aeren has continued to insist. Finally, last night, Alergast threatened to make the boy sleep in the woodshed if he couldn’t learn to be a man and sleep through, yet tonight, it happened again, only this time we heard poor Petal cry out in pain, and then Aeren’s screams turned shrill.”
She turned the boy around and pushed up his shirt sleeve, revealing fresh bite marks, made by pointed teeth. The crowd gasped.
“When Alergast burst into the room,” Amele continued tearfully, “he found a goblin crouched on Aeren’s chest! Petal was dead, a knife deep in her ear, and the foul creature was trying to chew off my boy’s arm! Alergast went mad, attacking the goblin and chasing it back into the closet, where it disappeared down a hole in the floor boards. Aleregast began tearing apart the closet looking for it, and I panicked. I took the children and came here. I’d heard you might be here. Can you help us? Please?”
Wesh’s face darkened in anger. “Of course we will,” he said, and then turned towards his friends. “Are you with me?”
The others nodded quickly, and several of the bar patrons volunteered to come along as well, but Wesh shook his head.
“Go and fetch the sheriff. Tell him to bring as many of the guard as possible. There may be more than one goblin loose, and there may be others hiding in other buildings. Hurry now!”

The foursome followed Amele back to her home, several stragglers from the bar following along behind to rubberneck, despite Wesh’s admonishment. When they reached the house, all was dark and quiet.
“Stay out here,” Wesh instructed Amele. Then he and his companions went inside. The interior of the house was dimmer still, and they heard not a sound as they made their way towards the back bedroom. When they pushed open the door, they saw Alergast Barett lying on his stomach half-in and half-out of the closet. Wesh and Dex moved quickly to him and pulled him out. It was immediately obvious that he was dead, the flesh of his face and upper torso eaten away. Suddenly, a shriek came from inside the closet, and a feral, rabid-looking goblin leaped out, a kitchen knife clutched in one fist. Howling, it plunged the blade through Skud’s boot and into his foot. The half-orc bellowed in pain and then raised his sword above his head and impaled the goblin through the chest, pinning it to the floor like a bug. It squirmed for a moment, then went limp.

By the time they came back out of the house, Skud limping on his injured foot, Sheriff Hemlock had arrived with several men in tow.
“What happened here?” he asked roughly.
Wesh flicked his eyes towards Amele and her children, then jerked his head subtly to one side. Hemlock nodded slightly and walked several paces away with the mage. Wesh quickly explained the situation and Hemlock shook his head wearily.
“Very well,” he said when Wesh finished. “I thank you again for your service. My men will handle the details and conduct house-to-house searches. I’ll speak to the widow. I’ve know her family for years. I believe she has a sister in Magnimar. I’ll send word to her tomorrow.”
“I had heard you captured some of the goblins,” Wesh said. “Did you get any information out of them as to what provoked the attack?”
“Not much,” Hemlock replied. “Only that they were given orders to kill everyone in town and burn down the place. None of them could even remember the name of their leader, only that he was a ‘longshanks,’ which is even more disturbing. They said he was on a secret mission to the boneyard during the attack.”
“The boneyard?” Wesh asked. “Did you find anything there?”
“Honestly,” Hemlock shook his head, “my men have been spread thin. I haven’t had time to investigate yet, and now with this, our resources are going to be strained further still.”
Wesh thought for a moment. “We could go,” he suggested, nodding towards his companions. “Tonight, if you like.”
Hemlock considered the offer and then nodded. “Very well. It’s obvious you boys are capable of taking care of yourselves, but be careful. If you find anything suspicious, I want you to report it to me immediately.”

The Sandpoint boneyard was set in the shadow of the cathedral and overlooked the Turandarok River. Stone vaults owned by affluent members of the town stood near the edges or at the center, while dozens of humble plots, each marked with a simple gravestone, sat amid trees and shrubberies. The caretaker was a hunchbacked fellow named Naffer Vosk, and when four visitors showed up at the door to his shack near midnight, he was understandably put out.
“What d’yer want?” he asked, squinting as he raised a lantern.
“Mr. Vosk,” Luther called out, “it’s me, Luther Asclepius. We’re here on official business. The sheriff informed us that the main goblin attack might have been a distraction for someone who came to the cemetery. Have you noticed anything unusual?”
The old man wrinkled his forehead.
“Can’t say’s I have,” he said. “Yer welcome t’look around if y’like.”

Naffer led them along the trails of the cemetery, shining his light across the plots. It was not until he reached the outer vaults, those nearest the river, that he paused.
“’Ere now!” he said. “What’s all this then?” He raised his lantern, its light falling on one of the vaults, the door of which was ajar.
“Wait here,” Wesh told the old man. “If we’re not out in a few minutes, go for the sheriff. Whose vault is this, by the way?”
Here, the caretaker’s face grew ashen. “It’s Father Tobyn’s. Him what took me in and gave an old thief a second chance so many years ago. Only true friend ever I had till the fire took’im.”
Wesh nodded, then motioned for Skud to lead the way. The big warrior cautiously pushed the door all the way open and stepped inside, the others following. Within, a stone sarcophagus stood in the center of the vault. Closer inspection revealed that its lid was also ajar, fresh scrape marks on the stone. Skud shoved the heavy lid back all the way and Wesh peered in. The body of Father Ezakien Tobyn was gone.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Sheriff Hemlock received the news of the grave robbery with grim resignation, while Father Zantus was apoplectic. How could so much have gone wrong so quickly? The sheriff thanked the four young men for their assistance, but asked them to keep the matter quiet for the time being, not wanting to further distress the townsfolk until he’d done further investigating. He promised to contact them if he had new information.

Despite the events of the previous evening and their general grey mood, the group met Lord Foxglove the next morning as planned. The nobleman had three manservants with him, and had purchased a fine riding horse for each of his guests. The Tickwood was not far, only a few miles north of the upthrust limestone escarpment known as the Devil’s Platter, but it would have taken hours to reach on foot. Despite its ominous name, Lord Foxglove assured them that the Tickwood was actually a relatively safe woodland, one well known to be the home of wild boar, deer and perhaps one or two firepelt cougars. No goblin tribes were known to dwell within its boundaries.

The ride was a pleasant and uneventful one, and Aldern was a charming conversationalist, well-read and with a seemingly endless cache of stories about the high life in Magnimar. Overall, however, he was far more interested in his saviors, wondering who they really were, where were they from, how long had they been fighting goblins and did they have other harrowing tales of their adventures. He was particularly taken with Skud, especially when the big half-orc told of his childhood in stark, simple terms.
“That’s positively awful!” the nobleman exclaimed. From that point on, even throughout the hunt, which was, in Luther’s mind at least, wonderfully unadventurous, with several large boar bagged, Aldern continued to bombard Skud with questions, at times seeming almost desperate to learn how to be a ‘hero.’ By the time they returned to Sandpoint in the late afternoon, delivering the bulk of the meet to Father Zantus for distribution to the poor as promised, Skud had become noticeably irritated by the nobleman’s endless barrage, and Dex though it a good time to say their goodbyes before his friend’s short temper got the better of him.

The following day, all four of the men received a summons by one of Hemlock’s deputies, asking them to join him at the town hall, explaining that he had news that might interest them. As Luther walked the short distance from the cathedral, he passed Amele Barett’s home and saw that her sister had arrived, and the family’s belongings were being loaded onto a large wagon. To his dismay, Shayliss Vinder was standing out front speaking with the woman. When she saw Luther, her eyes narrowed, and she bent to whisper conspiratorially in the older lady’s ear. As he passed, Amele’s sister spat on the ground in front of him, and shot him a cold glare.
“Too bad you heroes weren’t a bit more thorough in your ‘heroing,’” she sneered.
Luther blanched, but said nothing. He lowered his head and kept walking. Apparently, Shayliss was not a girl whose advances were to be spurned lightly.

When he reached the town hall, he was escorted to a comfortable office on the second floor where his friends were waiting, along with Sheriff Hemlock, the mayor, Kendra Deverin, and an elven woman dressed as a forester that Luther had never seen before.
“I’d like to introduce you all to Shalelu Andosana,” Hemlock began, “an…unofficial member of Sandpoint’s town guard. Shalelu, here are the town’s newest crop of heroes.” He grinned as he said this, and the elf smirked faintly.
“Shalelu has been a thorn in the side of the local goblin tribes for years,” Hemlock continued, “and few in the region know more about them than she. She has informed me that Sandpoint hasn’t been the only place in the region that’s had goblin troubles. There has been an alarming increase in goblin-related raids along the Lost Coast Road, particularly in the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood. Only a day ago, a farm south of Mosswood was burnt to the ground by a group of goblins. Thankfully, Shalelu was nearby, and while the farm couldn’t be saved, she did rescue the family and drove off the goblins. The family is staying at a nearby farm for now, but the goblin problem is obviously not going away. Shalelu?”
The elf woman leaned casually against a desk, arms folded.
“Belor’s told me of your work against the goblins,” she said in a voice deeper than her slim form implied. “Well done. I’ve dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they’re tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite. Anyway, there’re five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally they’re pretty good at keeping each other in line with intertribal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I’ve been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair amount of the Mosswood tribe goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and there was a lot of chatter about the ‘longshanks’ who killed so many of them. Now that I’ve met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you’ve made an impression. In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don’t get along unless they’ve got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I’m afraid that someone’s moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they’re organizing seems like bad news for all of us.”

When she’d finished, Hemlock spoke again. “I’m taking a few of my men south to Magnimar to see about securing additional soldiers to station at Sandpoint for a few weeks, at least until the extent of the goblin threat can be determined. While I’m away, I’ve asked Shalelu to sniff around Shank’s Wood, Devil’s Platter and other places where the tribes live to see if she can discover anything else about what’s going on. I would also like to ask the four of you for a favor. I’d like to make you special deputies for the duration of the crisis, and I would ask you to maintain a public presence in town over the next few days. The locals seem to have taken to you, and seeing you around town will do a lot for keeping worries down over the next few days. What say you?”
The foursome looked at each other for a few moments.
“I can’t speak for all,” Wesh spoke first, “after all, we only met a few days past, and under…unusual circumstances, but Sandpoint is my home, and I would do anything to protect her. I’m in.”
Dexter looked to Skud, a silent question in his eyes. The half-orc shrugged.
“What’s the pay?” the archer asked, turning to Hemlock.
“Standard,” the sheriff replied, “plus certain fringe benefits that go along with being part of local law-enforcement.”
Dexter nodded thoughtfully at this. “We’re in too,” he said. “The caravan work’s been a good gig, but it’s feast or famine sometimes, and if there’s more trouble on the roads coming, that means fewer trains traveling, which means fewer paydays for us. Steady work suits us fine.”
Luther remained silent a bit longer.
“I was sent here by my order to assist Father Zantus,” he said at length. “Now I feel compelled to stay to ease some of the suffering these past few days have wrought. I’m no warrior, but if my presence gives some small measure of comfort to those without hope, then I am morally bound to serve. I accept.”
Hemlock beamed, and with mayor Deverin as a witness, he swore his four new deputies in.
“Congratulations,” Shalelu said, offering her hand. “I would ask you to join me later for dinner at the Rusty Dragon. I’d like to hear more about the raid, and I think I may have some more information you might be interested in.”

Later that evening, after they had told the toned down version of the raid to Shalelu, she nodded appreciatively.
“It would seem you gave a good accounting of yourselves,” she said, “just as Belor indicated. Since he trusts you enough to have deputized you, then I suppose you should be brought up to speed on the local goblin tribes. As I mentioned earlier, there are five major groups in the region. The closest to Sandpoint are the Birdcrunchers. They live in caves along the western edge of Devil’s Platter, although traditionally, they have always been the least aggressive of the five. To the south are the Licktoads of the Brinestump Marsh, pests that are excellent swimmers. East are the Seven Tooths of Shank’s Wood, a tribe that’s secured a place for itself by raiding Sandpoint’s junkyard and rebuilding stolen refuse into armor and weapons. Further east are the Mosswood goblins, likely the largest tribe, but one traditionally held back by feuding families within their own ranks. Finally, there are the Thistletop goblins, who live on the Nettlewood coast atop a small island that some say holds a passing resemblance to a decapitated head.”
“As you may know,” she continued after taking a long pull from her tankard, “goblins generally live short, violent lives. It’s unusual for a single goblin to achieve any real measure of notoriety, but when one does, it’s well-earned. Currently, five goblins enjoy the status of ‘hero.’ Big Gugmut is an unusually muscular and tall goblin from Mosswoods who, it’s said, had a hobgoblin for a mother and a wild boar for a father. Koruvus was a champion of the Seven Tooth tribe, who was as well known for his short temper as he was for his prized possession, a magic longsword. He vanished several months ago after he supposedly discovered a ‘secret hideout’ in a cave along the cliffs, but the Seven Tooth goblins remain convinced that he’s out there still, a ghost or worse, waiting to murder any goblin who tries to discover his hideout. Vorka is a notorious goblin cannibal who lives in the Brinestump marsh, a ‘hero’ mostly to goblins other than the Licktoad tribe. Ripnugget is the current leader of the Thistletop goblins and controls what the five tribes agree is the best lair. And then there’s Bruthazmus, an infamous bugbear ranger who lives in northern Nettlewood and often visits the five tribes to trade things he’s stolen from caravans for alcohol, news or magic arrows. He has a particular hatred of elves, and we have fought on several occasions. So far, neither of us has managed to get the upper hand, but I swear to you, I won’t be the first to fall! In any event, that should let you know what you might be up against.”
She rose to go, extending her hand as she did. She paused for a moment as she started to leave.
“You know,” she said thoughtfully, “I might just have someone I want to introduce you to next time I’m in town.”

JollyDoc

Explorer
Sheriff Hemlock left town quietly the next day, taking a handful of soldiers with him. Things in town had returned mostly back to normal, with people trying to put the events of the past few days behind them. Memories of goblins accidentally lighting themselves on fire, getting stepped on by horses, or drowning in rain barrels that were only half full in the first place rendered memories of the raid in an almost comical light. Wesh, Luther, Dex and Skud made a point of letting themselves been seen often in public places, and the townsfolk did indeed seem reassured by their presence. Most of them, anyway. It seemed that Shayliss Vinder’s sharp tongue had continued to spread slander about the heroes, calling into question the veracity of their efforts during the raid. Fortunately, only a few malcontents paid heed to the gossip, and they were quickly silenced by the true believers.

Late one afternoon, as Dexter and Skud occupied their usual places at the bar of the Rusty Dragon, they were approached by a timid, elderly halfling woman, who introduced herself as Bethana Corwin, a maid in the employ of Ameiko Kaijitsu.
“I’m sore sorry to bother you, masters,” she said, eyes downcast, hands bunched in her apron, “but might I trouble you for a word in private?”
Dexter sighed quietly. “This is getting to be a habit,” he muttered aside to his big friend. The half-orc grunted noncommittally, but they followed the old woman nonetheless. When they reached the now-familiar corner booth, Bethana began to speak quickly.
“It’s about mistress Ameiko,” she began.
“What about her?” Dexter asked, realizing that he hadn’t seen the young woman all day, a rarity for the innkeeper.
“Well,” Bethana said, “when I woke earlier this morning, I saw that my lady hadn’t started breakfast for the first time that I can ever remember. I knocked on her door, but I didn’t get an answer. Against my better judgment, I let myself in, only to find it empty and her bed un-slept in. Worse, I found this…”
She held out a crumpled piece of paper. Dexter unfolded it and saw that it was a letter, written in flowing script:

Hello, sis!
I hope this letter finds you well, and with some free time on your hands, because we’ve got something of a problem. It’s to do with father. Seems that he might have had something to do with Sandpoint’s recent troubles with the goblins, and I didn’t want to bring the matter to the authorities because we both know he’d just weasel his way out of it. You’ve got some pull here in town, though. If you can meet me at the Glassworks at midnight tonight, maybe we can figure out how to make sure he faces the punishment he deserves. Knock twice and then three times more and then once more at the delivery entrance and I’ll let you in.
In any case, I don’t have to impress upon you the delicate nature of this request. If news got out, you know these local rubes would assume that you and I were in on the whole thing too, don’t you? They’ve got no honor at all around these parts. I still don’t understand how you can stand to stay here.
Anyway, don’t tell anyone about this. There are other complications as well, ones I’d rather talk to you in person about tonight. Don’t be late.

Tsuto

“I assume Tsuto’s her brother?” Dexter asked when he’d finished reading.
“Yes,” Bethana nodded, “but he was something of a scandal when he was born twenty-one years ago, since he’s half-elven.”
She paused for a moment, her eyes wide and knowing.
“Neither of Ameiko’s parents are elves,” she noted. “It was obvious that old Lonjiku wasn’t the boy’s father, and his rage at the discovery of his wife’s… indiscretion was the talk of the town for months. Lonjiku’s wife, Atsuii, never revealed who the father was, and it’s a testament to Lonjiku’s stubbornness that they remained married. Tsuto was handed over to the Turandarok Academy to be raised outside of the Kaijitsu family, ignored by his father and forbidden visits from his mother. Mistress Ameiko visited him in secret a few times a month to keep him company, bring him some food, and to promise him that someday things would get all sorted out. That all changed six years ago, when they had a terrible argument in which Tsuto struck her! I don’t know what the argument was about, but whatever it was sent my lady away from Sandpoint for a year, during which time she apparently made a living as one of those adventurer types. She returned to Sandpoint five years ago to attend her mother’s funeral. Tsuto was quite public in his opinion that his father had pushed Atsuii off a cliff to her death, and during the funeral there was a confrontation. Lonjiku nearly broke Tsuto’s jaw with his cane, after which Tsuto cursed him and left Sandpoint. Ameiko has tried to reestablish contact with him ever since, but she was never able to track him down. Now he’s back, out of thin air! I’m worried he’s up to no good. Since the sheriff’s gone, you and your friends are the only ones I can turn to. Please, I beg you, could you go to the Glassworks and find out what’s happened to my mistress?”
Dexter nodded, assuring her that they would. After all, that’s what heroes did.

“So this is the place?” Dexter asked as they stood on the street across from the large factory.
“Yep,” Wesh replied. “The Kaijitsu family was one of the original members of the Sandpoint Mercantile League, and they got into the glassmaking business early on and have managed to turn a tidy profit over the past four decades. From that note, though, it sounds like their days may be numbered. I’d always heard the stories about Tsuto’s questionable paternity, and there were rumors and speculation surrounding his mother’s death, but all that took place during ‘the Late Unpleasantness,’ and paranoia was rampant. Seems like there might be some truth to the gossip after all.”

It was still daylight, but the large building that housed the Kaijitsu Glassworks was curiously silent. On a normal day, workers should still be there, coming and going. The furnace chimney still plumed, however, which indicated that someone must be inside, but when the four companions walked around the perimeter, peering into windows, they found them all with curtains drawn on the inside, and all the outer doors were locked. They made their way around to the delivery entrance that Tsuto had spoken of in his note, but it to was locked.
“If I may?” Dex asked, pulling an intricate set of lock picks from a belt pouch. At Luther’s raised eyebrows, he merely shrugged. “I wasn’t always the fine, upstanding deputy you see before you.”
He got to work on the lock, but as he did so, a few passersby on the road took notice of the ‘Sandpoint Heroes’ gathered round a service door to the glassworks, and paused to gawk.
“What’s goin’ on there?” one man asked. “You fellas fixin’ to do some more heroin’? Can we watch?”
“I’ll handle this,” Luther said. “Despite living a somewhat sheltered life up until know, I do know something about public speaking.”
He walked over to the pedestrians with a disarming smile on his face.
“Now, now, ladies and gentlemen,” he said, shaking his head, “there’s nothing very exciting going on here. Seems old Lonjiku has a rat problem,” he explained, borrowing a page from Shayliss’s book, “and he asked us to come and see if we could help him out. After all, after a horde of goblins, a few overgrown mice should be no problem, right?”
The onlookers laughed and nodded appreciatively.
“Unfortunately,” the priest continued, warming to his crowd, “Lonjiku sent all the workers home so we could get our work done without interruption, but he forgot to leave the back door open like he promised, so we’re having to improvise. So please, go on about your business. The less attention this attracts, the happier Lonjiku will be. If we catch any real big ones, I’m sure they’ll be on display at Wesh’s shop.”
The townsfolk seemed to find this explanation plausible, and after wishing him good hunting, they began to disperse.

By the time Luther made it back to the others, Dex had the lock opened. They slipped quickly inside and pulled the door shut behind them. They found themselves in a loading room. A wheelbarrow sat against one wall, and shelves on the walls looked to contain reagents used to create glass of different colors. There was a safe sitting on the floor, and its door was open. Nothing was inside.
“Curiouser and curiouser,” Wesh said, stroking his chin.
Three single doors opened off the room, but a larger pair of double doors led to the north. It was this pair that the group chose.

The chamber beyond the doors was the glassworking room, but the sight that they beheld when the door opened brought the quartet to a stunned halt. A long furnace burned along the southeast wall of the room, and marble tables, used to work raw glass into usable shapes, sat throughout the chamber, with nearby wooden tables cluttered with various tools of the trade. The furnace rumbled loudly, but not loud enough to drown out the sounds of breaking glass and high-pitched giggles. Eight goblins scurried about the place, breaking things at random, but this was not what had so shocked the companions. Rather it was the bodies of the glassworks staffers lying in various stages of dismemberment, including appendages that were half stuffed into the furnace, and other unidentifiable pieces that had been covered in molten glass. Seated in a central alcove on one side of the room was the body of Lonjiku Kaijitsu, completely encased in thick, runny sheets of hardened glass.

It took a moment for the goblins to notice the intruders, but when they did, they all stopped in the midst of what they were doing, the look of disbelief on their faces almost comical. Then, as one, they shrieked and came scurrying among the workbenches, some of them armed with their cobbled-together blades, others with pieces of glassware or tongs containing red-hot, molten glass. Dexter dropped to one knee as they came, an arrow knocked to his bow quicker than the eye could follow. He drew and released, taking the foremost goblin in the throat. Meanwhile, Skud drew his blade and lunged forward to meet the vermin head-on, but as he skirted a table, he struck his elbow hard on one corner, causing him to lose his grip on his sword, sending it clattering to the floor. Luther cursed in a very un-priestly fashion and dashed forward to grab the half-orc’s weapon before one of the goblins could. Skud grunted his thanks as he retrieved the blade, still rubbing his swollen elbow.

Wesh was just preparing to mouth the words to a spell, when a thrown bottle creased his forehead, ruining his concentration. Blood poured into his eyes, momentarily blinding him, but he still heard the snap of Dex’s bowstring and the gurgling cry that followed.

As Skud turned back towards the goblins, one leaped at him, hoping to take him while his back was still turned. Instead, its blade ricocheted off the wall and struck the goblin in the middle of his forehead, snapping the blade in half as it did. As the stunned beast staggered around, a crashing blow from Skud sent it flying into the furnace. By this time, however, the five remaining goblins had closed the distance. Three of them surrounded Skud, while their companions dashed past, heading for the rest of the group. All three of the little terrors hacked and slashed at the half-orc, opening several small, but bloody wounds. Wesh and Dex quickly found themselves in hand-to-hand combat, trying desperately to fend off the rusty blades chopping at them. Dex rolled over the top of a table, coming to his feet on the other side and put an arrow through one goblin’s eye at point-blank range. As it dropped, the archer got off a second shot, taking another goblin who’d been harassing Skud in the center of its chest.

Wesh finally managed to clear his vision, just in time to dodge a blow that would have taken off his ear. Desperately, he spoke the words to a minor spell, and hurled a small globe of acid at his attacker. The goblin shrieked as its skin burned, and it turned and fled towards the loading room. At the same time, in rapid succession, Skud dropped one of his remaining assailants, while Dexter did for the other.
“One’s getting away!” Wesh shouted, and when Skud looked to where the mage was pointing, he leaped over a table and gave chase. One-by-one, his companions quickly followed.

By the time the barbarian reached the store room, the goblin had already disappeared through a far door, beyond which was a flight of stairs. When Skud thundered down them, he found himself in an underground storage room, and caught sight of his fleeing quarry just as the goblin darted around a corner. Howling in rage, the half-orc charged down the hall, and when he turned the corner, he saw the goblin standing before a door, pounding on it and shouting. Skud quickly silenced the little monster. As the goblin fell, however, the door it had been pounding on suddenly opened, and a tall young man dressed in traveling clothes stepped out. He looked human, but his slightly pointed ears and arching eyebrows betrayed his true heritage. His eyes widened when he saw the rabid half-orc standing before him with a dripping blade. Like a cat, he dropped into a fighting stance, though he carried no obvious weapon. If he had any real fighting skills, Tsuto Kaijitsu never got a chance to demonstrate them before Skud’s sword caved in his chest.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Wesh identified Tsuto definitively when he and the others finally caught up, but there was no sign of Ameiko in the room the half-elf had come out of. A quick search of the other basement rooms, however, found the young woman unconscious and bound hand-and-foot. Dexter quickly cut her binds as Luther knelt to tend her wounds. After a few moments, her eyes fluttered open and she gasped.
“It’s ok,” Luther soothed. “You’re safe now. We’ve dispatched all the goblins.”
“What about my father?” Ameiko asked, desperately. “Tsuto?”
Luther lowered his eyes and shook his head slowly. Tears filled Ameiko’s eyes.
“How could he?” she sobbed. “He lured me here under false pretenses, and tried to convince me to join him. He said that he and several mercenaries, led by Nualia Tobyn, had big plans for Sandpoint’s future.”
“Nualia Tobyn?” Wesh interrupted. “But…she’s dead! She died in the church fire with her father!”
“Apparently not,” Ameiko said quietly. “Tsuto warned me that I didn’t want to be in town when her plans came through. When I declined his offer and struck him, he unleashed his goblins upon me. They left me down here.”
“Did he say where to find Nualia?” Wesh asked. Ameiko shook her head.
“Perhaps this can shed some light on things,” Dexter said, holding up a small journal. “I found it in Tsuto’s room.”
The leather-bound booklet contained two dozen parchment pages, most of which were filled with maps of Sandpoint or erotic drawings of a woman, presumably Nualia. One of the last of these depicted her with demonic hands, bat wings, horns, a forked tail and fangs. The maps each showed different attack plans. The first set illustrated the plan for a group of thirty goblins, and one of these battle maps was circled…the recent attack on Sandpoint. A short passage was written beneath this map:

The raid went about as planned. Few Thistletop goblins perished, and we were able to secure Tobyn’s casket with ease while the rubes were distracted by the rest. I can’t wait until the real raid. This town deserves a burning, that’s for sure.

The next several pages of the journal showed an assault on Sandpoint by a force of what appeared to be two-hundred goblins. None of these maps were circled, and while many were scratched out as if they’d been rejected, the implications were ominous nonetheless. After the last of these maps was another note:

Ripnugget seems to favor the overwhelming land approach, but I don’t think it’s the best plan. We should get the quasit’s aid. Send her freaks up from below via the smuggling tunnel in my father’s Glassworks, and then invade from the river and from the Glassworks in smaller but more focused strikes. The rest except Bruthazmus agree, and I’m pretty sure the bugbear’s just being contrary to annoy me. My love’s to distracted with the lower chambers to make a decision. Says that once Malfeshnekor’s released and under her command, we won’t need to worry about being subtle. I hope she’s right.

There was one final note written before the last illustration depicting Nualia:

My love seems bent on going through with it…nothing I can say convinces her of her beauty. She remains obsessed with removing what she calls her ‘celestial taint’ and replacing it with her Mother’s grace. Burning her father’s remains at the Thistletop shrine seems to have started the transformation, but I can’t say her new hand is pleasing to me. Hopefully when she offers Sandpoint to Lamashtu’s fires, her new body won’t be as hideous. Maybe I’ll luck out. Succubi are demons too, aren’t they?

“This explains much,” Wesh said, tucking the journal inside his tunic. “The raid was merely a ruse to cover the theft of Tobyn’s body, which in turn, it seems, was used in some vile sacrifice to begin Nualia’s transformation into some-sort of Abyss-spawn. It would seem the Thistletop goblin tribe that Shalelu spoke of is instrumental in the next planned raid, and didn’t she also mention their chieftain, Ripnugget, and a bugbear as well?”
Dexter nodded. “But what about these smuggler’s tunnels your brother described?” he asked Ameiko. “And what’s a quasit?”
“I can answer that,” Luther interjected. “Quasits are minor demons, usually in service to more powerful demons, or occasionally to evil-minded mortal wizards.”
“As for the tunnels,” Ameiko added, “I know of these. They lead down to the beach, but I’ve never heard of anything living down there.”
“I would seem that Tsuto discovered differently,” Wesh mused. “I think we have some further investigating to do…”

LordVyreth

First Post
Heh, "succubi are demons, right?" made me laugh.

So, how detailed were the town and the NPCs in the original setting? Were ones like the gossipy girl part of the original plot? It's interesting to have such an obviously non-European family in the setting as well; most tend towards western or Ye Olde Fantasy style names.

Zurai

First Post
Yes, Shayliss is in the original plot pretty much exactly as written. So far as I can tell, everything that's happened so far is straight from the module except Shalelu's parting comment. Paizo did a great job with Sandpoint. There's a lot more information in the back of Burnt Offerings about the town, too, that isn't in the general plot line.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Sandpoint is ridiculously well-detailed, and Shayliss Vinder is decidedly a part of the original module.

In my game, Tsuto got captured, not killed. Not that this did him any good. As a sidequest, I introduced an attic whisperer searching for Tsuto, the restless spirit of a kid he'd accidentally killed during his dark past. The party did not, in fact, destroy the attic whisperer--instead, they smuggled it into the prison. And were very surprised the next day when Tsuto's corpse was found in his cell, with the throat torn out.

In the words of one of my players, in the most guileless voice imaginable, "I didn't think it was going to kill him. I only thought it would torture him forever!"

Remove ads